DO students - any road/mtb cyclists out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted707454

I'm applying to schools soon, and am trying to optimize my school list based on the following criteria:
  • Close proximity to a variety of nice trails for mountain biking
  • Great area for road cycling (read: lots of country roads... minimal traffic... wide shoulders, etc)
  • Great weather year round (i.e. avoiding snow on ground)
  • Good cycling community
  • Close to events/races
Aiming to study hard and be devoted to medical education of course, but I still have my hobbies. Looking for school location that allows me to bike around w/o an abundance of time driving out to locations, out of traffic, etc.

My thoughts:
VCOM Blacksburg, VA
AT Still Mesa, AZ
AZCOM Glendale, AZ
Rocky Vista Parker, CO
CUCOM Buies Creek, NC
COMP-NW Lebanon, OR
WVSOM Lewisburg, WV

Anyone here with other suggestions? Also, anyone out there attempted to train/race regularly while a student?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with Touro-CA unless you like cycling in bay area traffic. I'm starting this fall at PNWU, the area seems to have a ton of trails. I've already met a few locals that mountain bike and I saw event fliers for road bike tours/races.

Members don't see this ad :)
Marian University is literally known nationally for their road cycling. Doesn't meet your "no snow" requirement, but it is worth a mention due to the sheer fact that it is their claim to fame (until the mighty MU-COM came along of course :naughty: )

Marian University is literally known nationally for their road cycling. Doesn't meet your "no snow" requirement, but it is worth a mention due to the sheer fact that it is their claim to fame (until the mighty MU-COM came along of course :naughty: )
Oh, yes I have personally witnessed Marian University riders' prowess firsthand. Will have to see what the trail scene is there.

I disagree with Touro-CA unless you like cycling in bay area traffic. I'm starting this fall at PNWU, the area seems to have a ton of trails. I've already met a few locals that mountain bike and I saw event fliers for road bike tours/races.
Yeah, I was curious about PNWU, but internet sources (mtb project... single tracks) were lax on trail details. I'll search more in depth. Was concerned about adverse weather, but that area might not be as bad as the coast.

Putting the cart before the horse.
Thanks.

If AT Stills in Mesa is good enough for you, AZCOM should be too. But both of them are at least an hours drive to anywhere decent, like Sedona.

If AT Stills in Mesa is good enough for you, AZCOM should be too. But both of them are at least an hours drive to anywhere decent, like Sedona.

Both have been on my radar. It appeared AT Still was closer to the east side trails - visiting this summer, so we'll see.

NOVA-COM FORT LAUDERDALE FLORIDA - Do I need to say more?

Both have been on my radar. It appeared AT Still was closer to the east side trails - visiting this summer, so we'll see.

It is, but i feel like at that point, either way, you're making a trip. Off the top of my head you can also check out Black Canyon (http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7000113), which would be closer to Mesa.

AZCOM has a few smaller mountains close to it. They have Thunderbird (which i wouldn't really recommend) and then they also have Deem Hills. If you want to drive 30 minutes into Phoenix, you can also find Trail 100.

Also. It's not a DO school, but you may want to think about applying to ASU Medical School in Tucson. Tucson is known for having some pretty decent rides (i believe).

Also. It's not a DO school, but you may want to think about applying to ASU Medical School in Tucson. Tucson is known for having some pretty decent rides (i believe).

I think you mean the illustrious University of Arizona Medical School in Tucson.

ASU is an over glorified community college.

Bear down!

Joking aside, Tucson has a large cycling community.

Reactions: 1 user
RVU. Colorado is one of the best states for mountain biking. There's quite a bit of very good singletrack within 1-2 hours of campus, with the closest being about 30-40 minutes away. The weekend roadtrip potential is awesome when you can drive 3-4 hours up into the high country. I don't road bike, but there are tons of road bikers around and it seems that CO has some great road biking as well. If you end up in CO, hit me up and I'll give you more specific trail recommendations.

Reactions: 1 users
Triathlete here, so I spend a chunk of time cycling! I go to WVSOM and riding out here is a dream. I can ride right from my apartment and don't have to drive anywhere. I don't mountain bike, but there is plenty of trails at the Greenbrier State Forest (<10 minutes from Lewisburg). The bike shop in town has actually spent the last couple years making trails out at the state forest so they are really well taken care of.

I'm always down to talk cycling, so PM me if you have any questions about the area!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's already on your list but just wanted to reiterate how amazing Blacksburg (VCOM) is for cycling. It does not, however, have great year-round weather; the snow really piles up sometimes, and other times it's so cold/windy that cycling just isn't an option unless you're a masochist. For 6 months out of the year, though, I can guarantee there isn't a better location on your list.

Someone recommended NOVA -- this is a terrible suggestion. Outside of great weather, Davie is probably the worst cycling location in the entire country. Just straight, barren, humid flatland.

I'm applying to schools soon, and am trying to optimize my school list based on the following criteria:
  • Close proximity to a variety of nice trails for mountain biking
  • Great area for road cycling (read: lots of country roads... minimal traffic... wide shoulders, etc)
  • Great weather year round (i.e. avoiding snow on ground)
  • Good cycling community
  • Close to events/races
Aiming to study hard and be devoted to medical education of course, but I still have my hobbies. Looking for school location that allows me to bike around w/o an abundance of time driving out to locations, out of traffic, etc.

My thoughts:
VCOM Blacksburg, VA
AT Still Mesa, AZ
Rocky Vista Parker, CO
Touro Vallejo, CA
Western Pomona, CA
CUCOM Buies Creek, NC

Anyone here with other suggestions? Also, anyone out there attempted to train/race regularly while a student?

Lol.

Every cyclist that I've talked since the end of M1 has said something along the lines of "finally summer, haven't ridden since we started".

Good luck bro.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol.

Every cyclist that I've talked since the end of M1 has said something along the lines of "finally summer, haven't ridden since we started".

Good luck bro.

Haha yeah I more or less figured... running has so much more fitness gain from time input, but bikes are too damn fun!

RVU. Colorado is one of the best states for mountain biking. There's quite a bit of very good singletrack within 1-2 hours of campus, with the closest being about 30-40 minutes away. The weekend roadtrip potential is awesome when you can drive 3-4 hours up into the high country. I don't road bike, but there are tons of road bikers around and it seems that CO has some great road biking as well. If you end up in CO, hit me up and I'll give you more specific trail recommendations.

I'm very familiar with CO, and RVU is up on my list (although forgot to put it in this post). Parker is a nice choice for roadies, since its easy to get out of town/traffic and on to the open road. And there are decent trails 10-20 minutes away down in Castle Rock.

My low-ish GPA w/o grade replacement likely omits me from Tuscon, but I am going to apply nonetheless. I really like that area.
It's already on your list but just wanted to reiterate how amazing Blacksburg (VCOM) is for cycling. It does not, however, have great year-round weather; the snow really piles up sometimes, and other times it's so cold/windy that cycling just isn't an option unless you're a masochist. For 6 months out of the year, though, I can guarantee there isn't a better location on your list.

Someone recommended NOVA -- this is a terrible suggestion. Outside of great weather, Davie is probably the worst cycling location in the entire country. Just straight, barren, humid flatland.

Good to know about Blacksburg. I don't know much about that area, but its location showed to be a potential sweet spot for both road & mtb.

You forgot the terrible drivers who will kill you (if you're road cycling).

My favorite thing about Kirksville was cycling. Within 5 minutes of starting your ride you're out of town on country roads riding past farms with little to no traffic. We'd get a group of 3-8 people and go on long rides. You do have winter, but I usually still rode in the cold because we didn't have a ton of snow on the ground. Now I'm in St. Louis and it's not quite as bike-friendly. I've put hardly any miles on my bike here.

My favorite thing about Kirksville was cycling. Within 5 minutes of starting your ride you're out of town on country roads riding past farms with little to no traffic. We'd get a group of 3-8 people and go on long rides. You do have winter, but I usually still rode in the cold because we didn't have a ton of snow on the ground. Now I'm in St. Louis and it's not quite as bike-friendly. I've put hardly any miles on my bike here.

I'm glad Kirksville has some roads to bike. It's my top choice. If I'm lucky, I'd get in. I bike in Ofallon, MO. Mostly street bike though. There're trails around in Missouri but hauling bike around with your car is not convenient.

@abolt18 I saw wrestling mat in the gym. Do you know if there's anybody do BJJ there?

Last edited:
I'm glad Kirksville has some roads to bike. It's my top choice. If I'm lucky, I'd get in. I bike in Ofallon, MO. Mostly street bike though. There're trails around in Missouri but hauling bike around with your car is not convenient.

@abolt18 I saw wrestling mat in the gym. Do you know if there's anybody do BJJ there?
I suspect bjj stands for Brazilian ju jitzu? Either way I have no idea. Sorry.

COMP-NW in Oregon is centered in a beautiful area. There are plenty of races/events/competitions year-round for both mountain and street biking within a couple hour radius. The school itself is a in a small-ish town with plenty of area to run/bike without heavy traffic. Worth looking at.

Rocky Vista has some great trails near it. My wife and I love to ride our bikes through the Cherry Creek Ecological Park weekly and it has been amazing.

+1 for AZCOM and A.T. Still. Went to Arizona State– excellent cycling community in the Phoenix metro. A lot of racing, group rides, MTB, etc.

Also, I believe the "illustrious" school referred to above is technically in Mexico. :horns: :shifty:

Whats the weather in Phoenix? I raced in CO this last week and it was 85 outside, and I just about died...

COMP-NW in Oregon is centered in a beautiful area. There are plenty of races/events/competitions year-round for both mountain and street biking within a couple hour radius. The school itself is a in a small-ish town with plenty of area to run/bike without heavy traffic. Worth looking at.

Yeah this one also looks promising. My next step is to look up course schedules for all of these schools mentioned. For me, I think a "block schedule" will be better. From what I gather, its maybe a more efficient way of learning? Any thoughts on this?

Whats the weather in Phoenix? I raced in CO this last week and it was 85 outside, and I just about died...
Then you will literally die in Phoenix. Just Google it.