Aug 8, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I was wondering if there are any students who work while in dental school..? I know that it can be time consuming being a student in dental school, but are there a lot of students with part time jobs?

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
I was wondering if there are any students who work while in dental school..? I know that it can be time consuming being a student in dental school, but are there a lot of students with part time jobs?
the short answer is no. we have 1 girl w/ a part time job, but she also has a photographic memory...a handy skill that might facilitate less studying and a couple of hours to throw at a part time job.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
I think there is one student in my class that worked. Some did research, but that was volunteering. Some weeks will be very hectic... and some weekends you could work, but the amount of money gained would be insignificant- when you may need a recovery from multiple exam weeks and practicals.

Aug 8, 2009
Status
Dental Student
B
I work 3 side jobs while in first year, I get mostly A's and B's (more B's than A's) and have a wife and duaghter. It means I don't spend much time with friends though most people at school like me. There are a few other students doing research positions both at our school and outside it.

Mostly it depends on what you want to spend your free time on and how quickly you pick up on the material.

If you are single and plan on dating and having relationship drama, don't plan on it. If you family is high maintence, don't plan on it. If you live far from campus and have to spend a couple hours a day in transit, forget it. I wouldn't go into school with work, but see what your schedule looks like after the first month and then decide.
Thanks guys.. I figured not many if any students worked..

xhamburgersamx

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Dental Student
8am-5pm school really doesn't afford that much free time to work especially since you will be using that time to study. I do have a few friends that work weekends but those was only 1st year.