DO surgical residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyropig

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as I have been perusing the different schools websites I'm looking at the different residencies available that most their student go to. Now most schools seem to have spots for general surgery but when it comes to others like ortho and cardio-thoracic they all say they're pending. Does anyone know if there is some problem holding up the parade? Or is this just uncharted territory for DO schools and they're just now exploring it?

Members don't see this ad.

So as I have been perusing the different schools websites I'm looking at the different residencies available that most their student go to. Now most schools seem to have spots for general surgery but when it comes to others like ortho and cardio-thoracic they all say they're pending. Does anyone know if there is some problem holding up the parade? Or is this just uncharted territory for DO schools and they're just now exploring it?

To my knowledge Cardio-Thoracic is a fellowship following general surgery. AOA has established residencies in Orthopedics. You can check out the AOA residencies here http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search.cfm. There is Urological Surgery, Neurosurgery, and etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but there are only 10 spots a year. Most people still do it as a fellowship

CT surg is categorical/integrated in the ACGME match.

Wasn't talking about the ACGME match, only the AOA. I am aware of the ACGME match with CT Surg . Thanks though. I got the impression from the OP that they were only asking about the AOA.

Last edited:
There is only one AOA program at Deborah Heart and Lung in NJ with 9 spots. I think the OP would be better served in allo for this. Also CT really took a hit from invasive cards and invasive rads. A lot of people are treated prior to needing a bypass. Also the ACGME tends to have bigger names. So it may behove him or her to consider it. As to ortho there are a lot of AOA positions in it. However, one should know, generally ACGME are considered better in terms of volume, faculty, facilities and research. There are standout AOA programs, however you need to be careful in selecting the right one.