DO teaching at MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troutangler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if Allopathic schools would hire an Osteopathic physician to teach at their school. I'm going to a DO school and can see myself possibly teaching at a med school or maybe practicing and teaching 3rd and 4th year students during rotations in the future. I was wondering because where I plan on living in the future has allopathic schools locally and not osteopathic schools. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be hard-pressed to find any MD school without several DO's on faculty.

Well think about it, if you do an allopathic residency and its at a teaching hospital, your going to be teaching med students anyway as a resident. Why would they object to you teaching them as an attending?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, and you will find MD teaching at osteopathic schools too.

I interviewed at an MD program recently. There was a radiation-oncology clinical faculty member that was a DO. There were many others as well, that one just stood out.

I commented to the student (M1) tour guide about how many DOs there were on the faculty and in the hospital hallways. He gave this strange, non-comprehending look, so I said, "you know, D.O's, osteopathic medicine and all?". He said, "I know what they are, we definately don't have any here!". I actually opened the information folder they gave us and pointed out DOs listed at the school.

Probably was one of those ignorant pre-allo posters saying how they would never go to a DO doc, yet unbeknownst to him is getting his med education from a DO!

The new chair of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) at Harvard Medical School is a D.O. and graduate of NSU-COM!

God is a DO

And the Devil went to Stewart University. :laugh:

The devil dropped out of middle school. That's why he's the ****ing devil. When your job requires you to live in hell (or Oklahoma), you know that you made a wrong choice somewhere along the line with your education.

The devil dropped out of middle school. That's why he's the ****ing devil. When your job requires you to live in hell (or Oklahoma), you know that you made a wrong choice somewhere along the line with your education.
oklarmpit of america?
i've been there

As everyone has said, it would actually be pretty tough to find any allo school without a DO on faculty. I know several off the top of my head who are quire distinguished.

This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if Allopathic schools would hire an Osteopathic physician to teach at their school. I'm going to a DO school and can see myself possibly teaching at a med school or maybe practicing and teaching 3rd and 4th year students during rotations in the future. I was wondering because where I plan on living in the future has allopathic schools locally and not osteopathic schools. Thanks.

why not? For instance a cardiologist DO/MD can teach during a cardio block. DO doesn't imply OMM, some specialize in it but when you teach a specific system or course you wouldn't simply bring in manipulation into it. DO/MD's are doctors and have similar technical skills besides all the pre-med distinctions in the clinical world they both can run the table.

I commented to the student (M1) tour guide about how many DOs there were on the faculty and in the hospital hallways. He gave this strange, non-comprehending look, so I said, "you know, D.O's, osteopathic medicine and all?". He said, "I know what they are, we definately don't have any here!". I actually opened the information folder they gave us and pointed out DOs listed at the school.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA! I love it!

Whew! Thanks to the holistic nature of the divine, I still have a shot at heaven even though I've ****ed up my life so bad:laugh:

I don't have a shot,regardless of future decisions