Quantcast

DO teaching at MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troutangler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if Allopathic schools would hire an Osteopathic physician to teach at their school. I'm going to a DO school and can see myself possibly teaching at a med school or maybe practicing and teaching 3rd and 4th year students during rotations in the future. I was wondering because where I plan on living in the future has allopathic schools locally and not osteopathic schools. Thanks.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You will be hard-pressed to find any MD school without several DO's on faculty.

igcgnerd

Hawkeye
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well think about it, if you do an allopathic residency and its at a teaching hospital, your going to be teaching med students anyway as a resident. Why would they object to you teaching them as an attending?

nascardoc

Daddy to 2 kiddos
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, and you will find MD teaching at osteopathic schools too.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at an MD program recently. There was a radiation-oncology clinical faculty member that was a DO. There were many others as well, that one just stood out.

I commented to the student (M1) tour guide about how many DOs there were on the faculty and in the hospital hallways. He gave this strange, non-comprehending look, so I said, "you know, D.O's, osteopathic medicine and all?". He said, "I know what they are, we definately don't have any here!". I actually opened the information folder they gave us and pointed out DOs listed at the school.

Probably was one of those ignorant pre-allo posters saying how they would never go to a DO doc, yet unbeknownst to him is getting his med education from a DO!

GregsAnatomy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new chair of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) at Harvard Medical School is a D.O. and graduate of NSU-COM!

Thantis

Insert Custom User Title
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And the Devil went to Stewart University. :laugh:

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The devil dropped out of middle school. That's why he's the ****ing devil. When your job requires you to live in hell (or Oklahoma), you know that you made a wrong choice somewhere along the line with your education.

sherruns

Head Like Brick
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The devil dropped out of middle school. That's why he's the ****ing devil. When your job requires you to live in hell (or Oklahoma), you know that you made a wrong choice somewhere along the line with your education.
oklarmpit of america?
i've been there

As everyone has said, it would actually be pretty tough to find any allo school without a DO on faculty. I know several off the top of my head who are quire distinguished.

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if Allopathic schools would hire an Osteopathic physician to teach at their school. I'm going to a DO school and can see myself possibly teaching at a med school or maybe practicing and teaching 3rd and 4th year students during rotations in the future. I was wondering because where I plan on living in the future has allopathic schools locally and not osteopathic schools. Thanks.

why not? For instance a cardiologist DO/MD can teach during a cardio block. DO doesn't imply OMM, some specialize in it but when you teach a specific system or course you wouldn't simply bring in manipulation into it. DO/MD's are doctors and have similar technical skills besides all the pre-med distinctions in the clinical world they both can run the table.

BobLJ99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I commented to the student (M1) tour guide about how many DOs there were on the faculty and in the hospital hallways. He gave this strange, non-comprehending look, so I said, "you know, D.O's, osteopathic medicine and all?". He said, "I know what they are, we definately don't have any here!". I actually opened the information folder they gave us and pointed out DOs listed at the school.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA! I love it!

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whew! Thanks to the holistic nature of the divine, I still have a shot at heaven even though I've ****ed up my life so bad:laugh:

I don't have a shot,regardless of future decisions