Do the Clinical and Surgical Brilliance of the Attendings Improve Residency Education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DennyCrane MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand the value of networking with renowned physicians, especially in a small field. But what about the education itself?

Reflecting back on my education in medical school, I feel that the majority of my learning was done at home, and what mattered most were the fellow students and the flexible curriculum that allowed me to find ways to learn to my best ability (discussing with fellow students and upperclassmen, and looking for best resources to learn on my own). Working with brilliant, Dr.House-like clinicians at the hospitals was memorable, but it did not make significant contribution to my clinical skills. Working with a resident who cared about my learning did.

But that is medical school, where all of the learning is rudimentary. In residency, each resident gets significantly more attention from the attendings, and the residents are there to learn everything to be comprehensive ophthalmologists, or competent fellows.

On one hand, I wonder if the clinical and surgical skills, like performing cataract surgery, learned from residency are basic enough that the vast majority of the attendings anywhere can provide excellent education. And that what matters more is just whether there is a education-friendly curriculum, where one can get ready feedback from the attendings in the O.R., in the wet lab curriculum, and the time and resources to practice the skills on my own. And perhaps, reading up on up-to-date ophthalmology recommendations and watching the videos of skilled surgeons on my own time will be the adequate way to complement the resident education.

On the other hand, there is the book, Better, by Dr. Atul Gawande, where he mentions that even in the early 2000's, the performances of the hospitals nationally on managing cystic fibrosis differed significantly, despite the fact that the hospitals followed the same national guidelines. Perhaps, even if Michael Jordan, the best basketball player, isn't necessarily the best teacher, I will learn something significant by just seeing how he works throughout the day, the intangibles and the tendencies that can be only appreciated in person.

I am making a rank list as an M4. My ultimate goal would be to pick a program that would best prepare me to be the best clinician and surgeon. I understand that the severity and variety of pathology and surgical volume matter. But I am curious to know how important working with exceptional clinicians and surgeons may be in residency. And whether finding a residency curriculum that would fit my learning style the best (good mix of supervision vs. autonomy, efficient clinic with techs, busy being on call but good call schedule, wet lab curriculum, eyeSI) is more significant.

I would love to hear what the residents, fellows, and attendings would have to share about the topic! Thank you!

Denny Crane!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Denny, you ask a great question that doesn't have an exact answer. Most programs have a good/bad reputation for a reason and in general if you stick with rankings, word of mouth, and information from advisors that you trust, you will be able to obtain a reasonably good assessment of how well a program will prepare you. However, there are very prominent physicians at top ranked programs that are poor surgeons and even worse teachers. There are also unknown physicians who are tremendous surgeons and teachers. A residency program or fellowship won't make you into an outstanding clinician or surgeon. It will provide a framework (good or bad) for you to learn. While there is certainly an element of inherent ability that dictates ones level as a clinician/surgeon, much of your growth will be the result of the effort you place on being excellent throughout your training and career. No one is even close to being a finished product when they finish training. Improvement in your clinical/surgical skills should progress every year that you practice and there can be a very steep curve in the 1st several years after you finish training if you make this a priority. Another factor that can influence how quickly you improve is how busy you are. If you are only doing a few surgeries a month for a long period of time after training, you will have a much harder time improving. Being progressively more busy surgically makes it much easier to improve your surgical skills. Some people are fine with being just serviceable/mediocre and they don't really invest the time and effort to improve much after training, but this is a decision everyone must make.

Reactions: 1 user
Denny, you ask a great question that doesn't have an exact answer. Most programs have a good/bad reputation for a reason and in general if you stick with rankings, word of mouth, and information from advisors that you trust, you will be able to obtain a reasonably good assessment of how well a program will prepare you. However, there are very prominent physicians at top ranked programs that are poor surgeons and even worse teachers. There are also unknown physicians who are tremendous surgeons and teachers. A residency program or fellowship won't make you into an outstanding clinician or surgeon. It will provide a framework (good or bad) for you to learn. While there is certainly an element of inherent ability that dictates ones level as a clinician/surgeon, much of your growth will be the result of the effort you place on being excellent throughout your training and career. No one is even close to being a finished product when they finish training. Improvement in your clinical/surgical skills should progress every year that you practice and there can be a very steep curve in the 1st several years after you finish training if you make this a priority. Another factor that can influence how quickly you improve is how busy you are. If you are only doing a few surgeries a month for a long period of time after training, you will have a much harder time improving. Being progressively more busy surgically makes it much easier to improve your surgical skills. Some people are fine with being just serviceable/mediocre and they don't really invest the time and effort to improve much after training, but this is a decision everyone must make.
Excellent question and excellent answer. There are excellent teachers in many institutions who do not Excell in research or academics and it is almost impossible to know which programs have more or less of these unheralded heroes...a good teacher will accelerate your ability and enthusiasm for almost anything. Look for hints of " this is a good clinical program"...that is mostly what you can do...and as mentioned above...you have to push yourself to be the best you can be...

Members don't see this ad :)
medicine is an apprenticeship, especially residency and fellowship.
strong attending physicians are invaluable and give you pearls of wisdom.
bad attendings will can mislead you and teach you bad habis.

Yes!!! Working with Tom Oetting, MD at U of Iowa, as well as mentors like Tim Johnson, MD, definitely helped in my surgical proficiency.

If the coach didn't matter, then why do we pay so much for a great football coach at the college/professional level? Certainly the coach matters and so do your attendings who will "coach" you during surgery.

Yes!!! Working with Tom Oetting, MD at U of Iowa, as well as mentors like Tim Johnson, MD, definitely helped in my surgical proficiency.

If the coach didn't matter, then why do we pay so much for a great football coach at the college/professional level? Certainly the coach matters and so do your attendings who will "coach" you during surgery.

Well, I guess the difference is that football coaches specialize in teaching, while the attendings specialize in being a clinician and surgeon. What made Dr. Oetting and Dr. Johnson stand out? Their ability to relate to and appreciate the educational perspectives of the residents? Their aptitude as clinicians and surgeons? Both?

It's always both, am I right? :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2352144/#!po=11.0687

The above meta-analysis shows that work place and academic mentors do matter. The vision of leaders and mentors impacts others.

Dr. Oetting, for instance, tailors the cataract surgery for residents, developed the "baby steps method", and anticipates problems before it happens, helping residents to develop surgical proficiency faster.

This is really common sense. Think back in your life about mentors, teachers, and leaders who made a big impact in your learning. Mentors matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2352144/#!po=11.0687

The above meta-analysis shows that work place and academic mentors do matter. The vision of leaders and mentors impacts others.

Dr. Oetting, for instance, tailors the cataract surgery for residents, developed the "baby steps method", and anticipates problems before it happens, helping residents to develop surgical proficiency faster.

This is really common sense. Think back in your life about mentors, teachers, and leaders who made a big impact in your learning. Mentors matter.

I completely agree for residency. I was really just taking exception with the analogy, because I think sports coaches are wildly overrated (and overpaid). However, there is some truth to the fact that programs with better reputations attract better residents, so those residents are going to be more motivated, faster learners, quicker at analyzing situations, etc. The smartest students need good teachers the least.* It is true at all levels of education, IMO.

*That's not to say that they don't need them, however.

I completely agree for residency. I was really just taking exception with the analogy, because I think sports coaches are wildly overrated (and overpaid). However, there is some truth to the fact that programs with better reputations attract better residents, so those residents are going to be more motivated, faster learners, quicker at analyzing situations, etc. The smartest students need good teachers the least.* It is true at all levels of education, IMO.

*That's not to say that they don't need them, however.

I agree with you too. Some sports coaches are wildly overrated (and overpaid)!

Have you seen this movie, and do you know about De La Salle High School Football Program? De La Salle clearly illustrates the importance of coaches, leaders, and mentors.

While the smartest students need good teachers the least, the smartest students with AMAZING teachers can lead to OUTSTANDING outcomes and careers! We can always do better!