do these classes count in the BCMP gpa.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtac23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, so i am registering for my senior year course. I am practically taking all upper level bio courses including anatomy. so i need at least one or two classes to make my schedule easier. So do these classes count in the BCMP, i need to improve my science gpa!

1) ASTR 100 - Perspectives in Astronomy One-term introduction to astronomy. The nature of science; sun, planets, and moons; origin of the solar system; nature and evolution of stars; exploding stars; stellar remnants, including white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes; molecules in space; galaxies and quasars; past and future of the universe; and life in the universe. Lectures and observation; a field trip to Parkland Staerkel Planetarium may be required, nominal charge. Course Information: Intended for non-science majors; students with credit in PHYS 102 are encouraged to take ASTR 121 and/or ASTR 122. Credit is not given to students with credit in ASTR 121, ASTR 122, ASTR 210, PHYS 212, or equivalent. Class Schedule Information: Students interested in ASTR 100 should also consider ASTR 121 or ASTR 122 which cover the same materials and topics but in two semesters instead of one. ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 include two lectures each week and one weekly small discussion meeting for more individual attention. ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 are independent offerings and can be taken in any order. While ASTR 100, ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 are for non-science majors, problem solving with basic algebra is required. Science and astronomy majors should take ASTR 210.
3.000 Credit Hours

2) ASTR 121 - The Solar System Introductory survey of the universe; structure and motions of the earth and moon; planetary motions; physical nature of the planets; comets and meteors; origin and evolution of the solar system. Emphasis will be placed on problem-solving and scientific methods. Two lectures and one discussion each week, and observing sessions during the term. Not intended for physical science majors; students with credit in PHYS 211 are encouraged to take ASTR 210. Course Information: Credit is not given to students with credit in ASTR 100, ASTR 210, GEOL 116, or PHYS 212. Class Schedule Information: ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 cover the same topics as ASTR 100, but the material and topics are covered in much more depth over two semesters instead of one. ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 are independent offerings and can be taken in any order. While ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 are for non-science majors, problem solving with basic algebra is required. Science and astronomy majors should take ASTR 210. Students must register for one discussion and one lecture section.
0.000 OR 3.000 Credit Hours

3) ASTR 122 - Stars and Galaxies Introduction to astrophysical objects and phenomena beyond the solar system, and the governing basic physical principles; galaxies, quasars, and structure of the universe; cosmology; the Milky Way; the interstellar medium and the birth of stars; distances, motions, radiation, structure, evolution, and death of stars, including neutron stars and black holes. Emphasis will be placed on problem-solving and scientific methods. Two lectures and one discussion each week, and observing sessions during the term. Not intended for physical science majors; students with credit in PHYS 211 are encouraged to take ASTR 210. Course Information: Credit is not given to students with credit in ASTR 100, ASTR 210, or PHYS 212. Class Schedule Information: ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 cover the same topics as ASTR 100, but the material and topics are covered in much more depth over two semesters instead of one. ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 are independent offerings and can be taken in any order. While ASTR 121 and ASTR 122 are for non-science majors, problems solving with basic algebra is required. Science and astronomy majors should take ASTR 210.

i am not sure about the first two classes even though they are astrology because they are mostly non-science.. So will any of these count in the BCMP. thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, astronomy classes are classified under physics. It's the course content that's supposed to guide your decision whether or not it's a science class, but honestly, I'd advise you to use the department code.

wait so how exactly do i decide on this? how do i know that they will count for sure? and what department code are you talking about? and how exactly do i find one? also How would that help me? give an example. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The department code on those courses is ASTR, or astronomy. The AMCAS guide says to classify astronomy courses under physics.

You could have taken an astronomy course that had nothing to do with science, but if you classify the course under physics and count it toward the science GPA, the verifiers will most likely leave it alone. They don't know the course content, which is what you're technically supposed to be using to classify courses, all they know is the department code and the course title.

wait so how exactly do i decide on this? how do i know that they will count for sure? and what department code are you talking about? and how exactly do i find one? also How would that help me? give an example. thanks.
See my signature.

I had an introductory astronomy course that counted---but it had a physics code.

I am a first year medical student (so I applied in the 2007-2008 cycle).

Unless they've drastically changed the rules since last year, then I don't agree with the previous poster saying that all psychology and sociology courses cannot be counted toward the bcpm.

I had a few psychology and sociology courses that were counted toward my bcpm because they had a biology and math focus.
For instance, if you take a neuro course in the psych dept. or a stats class in the psych/soc dept. then they should count.