DO to MD transfers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdubpower

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
wondering is it possible to transfer, what schools allow it, whats the criteria, etc etc.....

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this being allowed, but it seems that there would have to be some really extraordinary circumstances for it to be considered. I've heard of students transferring from foreign med schools such as St. George's to US allopathic schools in the third year, but never DO to MD. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, though.

The question that I have is (and I know I probably shoudn't ask this but....) why would you want to? If you are unhappy with the particular DO program that you are in, then try transfering to another DO school. If you don't want to be a physician with a DO after your name, than in my opinion you need to re-examine the reasons why you want to be a physician to begin with.

Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
i have no problem with being a DO, none whatsoever, but im still wondering if its possible to change and what it takes to do so. if i didnt want a do after my name, i wouldnt be goin to a do school next... its just out of curiousity... anyone with answers let me know

Most MD programs won't even accept transfers from other MD programs unless special circumstances exist. An example of a special circumstance would be a marriage of one student to another student or employee at a different school.

There are schools which allow DO to MD transfers, but rarely and these are made on a case by case basis and not as a matter of policy, therefore it will be difficult for you to find them out on a bulletin board. The best way for you to find a school who will do this for you is to call the Admissions office of the schools you are interested in. It only takes a minute and some $$$.

I know that BU has done so in the past. There are at least a half a dozen others, but I do not remember which ones they are off hand.

In general, only private schools take transfers from out of state. Also, you need to have the blessing of both schools to achieve this, so tread cautiously as you do not want to screw yourself at your present school. As you imagine, your reasons do have to be compelling and verifiable as others have stated in this thread.

Georgetown has a policy on this stating that they are open to it. They have had this policy for some time now. However they have never actually done it.

Two students from my class have "moved to the dark side" (heh heh, just kidding). In all seriousness, one went to an MD school in 'Bama and one to LSU. From their particular cases, it helps to have some SERIOUS circumstance for NEEDING to do so.

Gregory Gulick, MS-III
NSU-COM

Hey gangster-gangster doctor to be,

So a loser like you decides to go into the osteopathic field so you can transfer to allopathic...I should have sensed it to begin with. You're pathetic...why don't you just stick to your east-coast rapping...oh but I forogt, you're from the west coast. Mah bad g-schizo-homie dogg boy...ya heard me...am I speaking your language now! You're one sad loser and I'm gonna defecate in your mouth when I see you...and that'll be after eating at Roberto's. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

For some advice on decision-making...please go checkout www.sorryloser.com