DO to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdok2004

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you heard of switching the DO degree to an MD. A friend of mine who is in DO school said that it can be converted by paying $150 and taking a test. Is this possible? also do any of you know know about transfers from DO to MD schools for year 3 and 4. I heard that a student from MSUCOM transfered to WSU med school for his rotations.
I plan on attending a DO school and beleive in the philosophy. However, I am interested in international medicine. and i feel that DOs arent recognized around the world.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, if you believe in the philosphy then there is no reason to change your program.

Transferring to an MD school is a very unlikely possibility. They will assume that you're already in medical school, so why bother changing?

Regarding this supposed "degree change," it used to be possible to do this in CA, but that idea went the way of tie-dyed shirts and pet rocks.

Don't enter a program unless you think you'll be happy with it. And don't let anyone, even me, tell you what you should do with your life. Do the research, and then make an educated decision.

Good luck to you.