DO to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how hard is it to transfer from an Osteopathic (DO) school to an allopatic (MD) school? is it harder/easier than transfering from MD to MD Schools?

Members don't see this ad.

It is harder to go from DO to MD than transferring from MD to MD, but both are quite near impossible. Do NOT under any circumstances actually plan on doing either. If an emergency comes up, it MIGHT be possible, but it's not something that can just be done when you feel like.

When you're talking about transferring from one medical school to another of similar reputability (MD -> MD, assuming the school has availability and allows it), it's possible to transfer schools.

I have never heard of DO -> MD transfer -- indeed, the school's have such different theories regarding their approaches to medicine that I doubt (but honestly don't know) that this is possible. . .

As none suggests, I certainly would NOT plan on transferring -- it's MUCH harder than changing colleges.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of it happening, but usually the student has to start as a MS1 at the new school, no advanced standing. Although it has happened, it is virtually unheard of. Like they said above, you better have one hell of a good reason, not just that you want a MD and not a DO. If you don't want to be a DO don't go to the school. Wait until you can go where you want.