Do Top 10 programs send 2nd round of interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophthimist1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of the top tier programs send additional waves of interviews? Clearly, the mid-tier programs seem to be sending additional waves of interviews but what about the top tier programs? Would be awesome if residents/prior applicants could answer. I will list a few of the top tier ones.

Duke, Wills, WashU, Penn, Emory, and UCSF

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry the thread header should read 'top tier' not top 10

I'm not a resident, but I know people who have gotten off the waitlist at Wills and Emory in the past. UCSF interviews such a small # of people that I highly doubt that they would have any problem filling all the spots the first time around. That's probably the case in other top programs you listed like Duke, WashU, and Penn, but I'm speculating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope you are right, Corn Dog. I have rec'd invites from some top tier programs but not some I was really hoping for. The process is such a crapshoot.

One of the Attendings in our school was complaining about just how incestuous this process is.

Last edited:
I just canceled my Penn interview for Dec 2nd... hopefully that spot will go to someone on SDN :)

Thanks, Shemarty. I suspect these top tier schools send out ~25+ invites per position. Guess they may not be sending additional invites if one or two candidates cancel out? I see no updates regarding any additional interview invites on SDN.

Thanks, Shemarty. I suspect these top tier schools send out ~25+ invites per position. Guess they may not be sending additional invites if one or two candidates cancel out? I see no updates regarding any additional interview invites on SDN.

Keep in mind that the majority of applicants probably don't post on here.