SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Do top tier pathology residencies take osteopathic medical students?

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Percivall, Aug 19, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Canada
    Physician
    That is depressing. Why on earth did your friend take this job when he could pull down 3-4X that in private practice? Are people that afraid of living west of the Mississippi River that they accept sh*t pay to stay on the east coast? So long as institutions (in all specialties) can find quality applicants willing to take jobs at such low salaries, there is no market pressure for the salaries to come up. The NYC ME's office has posted ads in the last few years starting well under 150K, which is very low in the context of NYC/Manhattan CoL index.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BlondeDocteur

BlondeDocteur 7+ Year Member

Why? Because he wanted to be an attending at MGH. If he didn't take that $90K job, 300 other people would have.

4. mlw03

Aug 15, 2003
    Canada
    Physician
    Yes, that is exactly my point. Not just what I highlighted, but the whole thing actually. Why are pathologists lining up to take poorly paying jobs anywhere? If it's because a few years at MGH is a ticket to well-paying private practice, then I get that, but if it's a long-term plan for someone, to take a low paying job for the prestige associated with a place like MGH, that just flies in the face of conventional economic principles and is not good for the overall job market. Make academic places pay market value for excellent pathologists... that's my argument.

5. LoaLoa

LoaLoa Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2005
    I suspect that's it. A few solid years working for a tradesman's wage at MGH buys you a sweet private practice job or gets you an Associate Professorship elsewhere.

6. Over9000

Over9000

May 7, 2014
    Indeed. The Harvard name is worth more than 1mil in the long run.

7. mlw03

Aug 15, 2003
    Canada
    Physician
    Very well then, thank you both for the info. This is the kind of stuff the eludes me, having gone straight from residency into forensic path.

8. coroner

coroner Peace Sells...but who's buying? 10+ Year Member

Aug 3, 2007
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Physician
    Yeah, but wouldn't going to med school, residency, and fellowship from Harvard be good enough to land that high-paying private practice gig without sweating it out a few years as an assistant prof making $90K? Plenty of other well paid cardiologists do that straight out of training who didn't go to Harvard...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  9. Future.miss.doctor

Future.miss.doctor 2+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Following up on this post, do top-tier fellowships in pathology (particularly forensic pathology) take DO physicians?

Autopsy101 likes this.
  10. DrfluffyMD

DrfluffyMD

Dec 15, 2016
  11. Autopsy101

Autopsy101 7+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Physician
    Yes, we have had DO residents at our program accepted at the competative forensic fellowships.

Future.miss.doctor likes this.