DO transfer to MD + year-off research

Started by jojo100
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jojo100

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a DO student and interested in derm or oculoplastics. I've finished my 2nd year and taking Step 1 in a few days. My scores are no where near 240+ which is what I am aiming for (I know I can do it, just need a little more time). Not to mention the "DO" is starting to worry me in that it may be even more difficult than it already is to get matched in either of these fields.

Here is my question - should I take a year off, studying for another month, get my scores up, and do research for the remainder of the year in hopes of a publication or linking up with a bigwig for a nice LOR?

I am very concerned that if I don't have the boards scores I need (by taking the exam in the next few days), my chances will be slim to nil, and adding the DO to it will make it near impossible.

If not transferring, but at the least doing research, and getting board scores up - is it worth it to take a year off for this?
 
Last edited:
For Derm your chances are much, much better to stay in DO school and try for a DO Derm spot
 
For Derm your chances are much, much better to stay in DO school and try for a DO Derm spot

even if I don't transfer, do you think its worth it to take the extra year off to get my board scores up and fill up the rest of the year with working with someone to get a nice LOR?