DO Transitional Rotating Internships(TRI) / Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainCrunch1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a brand new 4th year DO student applying to AOA TRI programs this year(tomorrow) and then hopefully match into a AOA derm program the following year. I haven't found a good place to read about all the different TRI programs. Does such a place exist? Does anyone have any info about programs? Any to avoid? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ignorant question from an almost m1....are tri's often used by people who may not be competitive enough for their field of interest? I.e. like taking a gap year after college to build your credentials before aplying to med school..

Not implying this is you OP.

Ignorant question from an almost m1....are tri's often used by people who may not be competitive enough for their field of interest? I.e. like taking a gap year after college to build your credentials before aplying to med school..

Not implying this is you OP.

Not necessarily, read post #2 and #26 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-traditional-rotating-internship.511610/
However, there are ppl who couldn't match into categorical and have to settle with TRI instead. The rumor is that some AOA programs do look down upon it.

Members don't see this ad :)
AOA derm is set up a little different than basically every other specialty including ACGME derm. You can not apply to AOA derm during your 4th yr like other specialities, you can only apply as a intern. Not ideal but as long as you match as an intern you don't lose any time as AOA derm are only 3 year programs.

AOA derm is set up a little different than basically every other specialty including ACGME derm. You can not apply to AOA derm during your 4th yr like other specialities, you can only apply as a intern. Not ideal but as long as you match as an intern you don't lose any time as AOA derm are only 3 year programs.

I have a feeling I know the answer, but this seems like a tough way to go without any "assurances" you will match somewhere. Any handshake deals? What are the backup plans if any?

Is it extremely competitive to match AOA derm as an intern? what happens if you don't match?

Derm is competitive, so yes, you should def have a backup plan and every interview will ask you what it is. A lot of ppl try to do a year of derm research if they don't match, but I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to that question as long as you do something worthwhile and ideally related to derm. I have never heard of any handshake deals or assurances for admittance.

As far as TRI's are concerned, I don't know of a list of the TRI programs other than what you can find on osteopathic opportunities website. Just try to go to a TRI with a derm program associated with it. They are basically all the same, I'd recommend looking into how many out electives they offer for derm auditions

This is through friends who are interested in derm and applying for AOA TRI's this year. The thought of separating the derm match until intern year is it allows the programs to filter those who truly want derm (who are willing to do an unguaranteed TRI for it) or those who would simply just apply for it for the sake of applying for it. Thus you essentially have to be "all in" if you are applying for TRI's.
As far as "guarantees", I know of TRI programs with a "derm focus" and whether it helps or not is beyond my knowledge, I just know they exist in the AOA world.

can you apply to AOA TRIs and match into ACGME specialty programs?