DO vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dakota0203

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is it true that DO's are still looked down upon? also, i heard that it's much harder for DO to get a residency, and after that a job. Is that true? I'm going to UMDNJ in the fall, and I heard thatit's 90% match rate. So how hard can it be to get a residency?
 
No, No and NO! Did you research your decision to pursue a osteopathic medical education? It would not take more than a couple of days of digging and talking with doctors to find the answers to your questions. Have you ever met a D.O.? If not, you might want to spend some time with one before starting school. If the match rate for umdnj is 90%, the other 10% probaly found a position outside of the match. No doctor, MD or DO, has a need to worry about finding a job post-residency.
 
Dakota, UMDNJ-SOMs match rate IS NOT 90%. That number refers to students who matched their FIRST choice.
 
Matching the first choice is matching isn't it.

To the origional poster, I work in a predominantly MD medical complex and college, there are a few DO's, I have spoken to them and they indicate that they had no problem finding a residency that they were interested in. I comes down to who you are not where you went to school. Are there still some MD's who dont think highly of DO's, the answer is yes, just like there are DO's who don't like MD's. My advice is let your actions speak for you rather than the initials after your name.
Side Note: The pediatric critical care residency at Childrens hospital of Wisconsin, which is one of the better programs in this particular sub-specialty has two positions each year for residents (MD program), and there are currently two DO's doing the residency, thats 2 out of six, because I believe it is a three year program. Not a bad ratio if I were to say so. I don't think that they are here because they are DO's or MD's it is because of how good a doctor that the person is.
The typical premed comparisons between DOs and MDs are just that a premed curiosity, in the real world of medicine you are judged based on your abilities.