DO vs MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apnea

Forgot the safe word...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's everyone take a few minutes to laugh at teh n00b...
:p

When it boils down to it, what's the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

this has been hasher over many times, and there's also a FAQ in the pre-DO forum you can read. i'd suggest doing a search or reading the FAQ.

...yeah, let's not laugh at the n00b THAT hard. i searched, i read the FAQs in both forums, i still can't find it. The only thing i sort of found is that MAYBE MD is more clinical and DO is more lab. Which is to say that my efforts yielded little more than frustration and some colourful language.

Members don't see this ad :)
When it's boiled down there is no difference. In the US, both are licensed by the same state boards to practice medicine equally. There is no specialty or sub-specialty specific to one degree versus the other. Once you're practicing your colleagues will care more about your performance than your degree. The degree is simply a means to an end.

DO's cling to manipulations from when they branched away from MDs in the late 1800's. Otherwise the education is identical.

i've seen a lot of talk that DO schools are easier to get into...why might that be?

MD - what everyone is used to. The "gold standard" for physicians. (I'm sure I'll be flamed for that one...)

DO - the minority group. Has been around less time, but is equal in all respects to MDs in the eyes of the US government. This means there can be no discrimination (unless you are talking about SDN) against DOs. DOs learn skeletal manipulation and other techniques to help correct deficits in musculoskeletal function.

If you're really interested in DOs, read "The D.O.s: Osteopathic Medicine in America" by Norman Gevitz. The link on amazon is below for your convenience.

http://www.amazon.com/DOs-Osteopath...4191135?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174783562&sr=8-2

If you're really interested in more information or interested in reading some of the writings of our founder, PM me and I can send you some other links.

jd

^^ absolutely fascinating. Thank you heaps. i'm ordering a ton of books in a couple of days anyway, that's definitely another one.

i hope i'm not being deplorable by saying this...but it almost sounds like DOs are chiropractors on steroids?

^^ absolutely fascinating. Thank you heaps. i'm ordering a ton of books in a couple of days anyway, that's definitely another one.

i hope i'm not being deplorable by saying this...but it almost sounds like DOs are chiropractors on steroids?
...or a Physician who took a small dose of chiro/pt with a side of primary care focus....

There is an excellent article floating around here that was written by Drusso...If I can find it I'll link you to it...It was one of the most informative and concise articles on the subject that I have seen.

no quite.. DOs have much more authority and training than chiropractors, although chiros get more hours of "adjustment."

Also, DOs and chiros have a very different philosophy as to why skeletal dysfunction occurs and how to correct it.

jd

keep it coming, i'm loving this :love:
you're all lovely
kiss.gif

When it's boiled down there is no difference. In the US, both are licensed by the same state boards to practice medicine equally. There is no specialty or sub-specialty specific to one degree versus the other. Once you're practicing your colleagues will care more about your performance than your degree. The degree is simply a means to an end.

DO's cling to manipulations from when they branched away from MDs in the late 1800's. Otherwise the education is identical.

Well for residency some states require DOs do an extra yr or something like that. Also it is harder for DOs to get into MD programs but DOs have their own programs which MDs cant get in to. Lastly, one very important difference

In the United States, allopathic physicians (MDs) are certified by the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery, while osteopathic physicians (DOs), which may still be referred to as proctologists, are certified by the American Osteopathic Board of Proctology.

Dude why flame.. there is no reason to be a prick. BTW for all the OMM stuff they also go into ophtho etc.. which have nothing to do with the MS system.

Dude why flame.. there is no reason to be a prick. BTW for all the OMM stuff they also go into ophtho etc.. which have nothing to do with the MS system.

ughhh, see i worried about that...i'm sorry if i sounded bitchy, that was just the feeling i've been getting so far. Absolutely no intention of offending anyone, and thank you for the info.

This topic has been beaten to death. Do a search and read some of the other threads. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.