DO vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wurm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between a DO and an MD? I know back in the day the philosophy of osteopathic medicine was different from that of allopathic medicine, but in this day and age don't they involve the same training? On that same note, whats a legitimate answer to the question, "why did you only apply to MD and not to DO? (My actual answer would be because I don't have a LOR from a DO.)

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the difference between a DO and an MD? I know back in the day the philosophy of osteopathic medicine was different from that of allopathic medicine, but in this day and age don't they involve the same training? On that same note, whats a legitimate answer to the question, "why did you only apply to MD and not to DO? (My actual answer would be because I don't have a LOR from a DO.)

That was probably a good way to dodge the bullet, though maybe not the best answer. This thread will probably be locked, due to the flame wars that tend to be caused by this topic, but there is a "MD vs DO" thread stickied in the osteopathic room. DO's get the same allotpathic training, more or less, with added emphasis on hands on healing.

Let the flame war begin!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we really going to do this thread again?

Not to be rude, but there are all kinds of information on osteopathic medicine if you spend just a LITTLE time doing your own research, even some FAQ pages on the DO board.

Also, I've never been asked that question; I'd be stunned if you were. To me, they might as well ask "why didn't you apply to all 100+ allopathic schools in the country? If it really worries you, I think you could get by with saying you're not interested in OMM, or that you are just more interested in the programs/curriculum that MD schools offer.

This exact question has been asked multiple times. Use 'search.'

:lock:

Yesterday I was talking to patient. I asked who her primary care doc was. And then I asked MD or DO (our charting software requires input). Her kid then asked what the difference was. The mother's response: "I actually have no idea but I think MDs are the full doctors". I took the chance to do some education on the matter. If you asked me which of the docs I work with are DOs and and which are MDs, I wouldn't be able to tell you. (unless I saw their nametag) BTW im pharm student

i agree with gospurs - personally, i've never heard of anyone being asked this question before.

as for what I would personally answer if i was asked why MD and not DO, my answer would simply be that i'm not interested in DO. I'm not interested in OMM and I'm not interested in the DO philosophy. If I was, I would have applied. That doesn't mean I don't respect DO's, or that they get any less of an education than MD's. I'm simply not interested in the osteopathic philosophy. If an MD school rejects me because i'm not interested in DO, then i'm not sure I even want to go to that school in the first place.

Also, I agree with the above. This has been beaten to death.

google and the pre-osteo forum are your friends

:luck:

I interviewed at TCOM and recently shadowed a DO. Only difference in the education is that you learn OMM. As far as being a doctor, there is no difference. The DO shadowed didn't regularly use OMM or any other of the "Philosophies" of Osteopahtic Medicine, and the truth is, most DO's don't either. Osteopathic is just another way to become a doctor if you don't get into Allopathic, plus you learn to be a chiropractor on the side if you're into that kind of stuff. I, personally, don't believe in it. Any technique which isn't backed up by clinical trials and supported my modern science, isn't worth much. All I did was look at the main AOA site, and see that they had nothing but testimonials, no solid science. There are some good Osteopathic schools and if you want to be a family doctor I suggest you look into them. Much better than a Carribean education if you can handle the D.O. insignia for the rest of your life.

We're closing this thread because we have so many of them and the information is already easily available on the forums. It's a very common question.

There are many discussions about this on SDN. If you run a search using the Advanced Search, and plug in Allopathic Osteopathic, it will lead you to a treasure trove of them. You will find much of the helpful information on the Pre-Osteo forum.

Here are a couple that contain helpful information:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=240220

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133066

Status
Not open for further replies.