DO vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same goes for optho, rads, and derm. Juss sayin'

trollface.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hands down choose MD if you have the choice. I am not saying you will learn more or be a better doctor (highly doubtful).

Rather being an MD give you a DEFINITE leg up for allopathic residencies.

Orthopedic surgery is VERY competitive, applying as a DO will be mean you will need significantly better stats than an MD competing for the same spot.

Plus do you really want to take the DO board exams AND the MD board exams.

The Data

Interpret it however you'd like.

I show statistics (and cite) data for

• NRMP match data for every specialty for each pathway
  • NRMP match percentage for each specialty. This shows what percentage of the total applicant pool for each pathway matched in which specialty (i.e did everyone from DO schools match FM)
  • AOA match data for every specialty
  • Total DO student matches in each specialty NRMP + AOA
  • Matching percentage for NRMP + AOA. What percentage of DO students matched into each specialty when looking at both NRMP and AOA combined
  • Full 2011 AOA match list, organized in table format.
  • An analysis of the NRMP match rates, and the calcuation of a true DO student match rate, taking into consideration both the NRMP and the AOA match.
  • A comparasion between all the pathways match rates.

I was objective as humanly possible and listed my concerns about where there could be errors in the data on page 1 of the spread sheet.

My concerns

I was forced to use 2010 NRMP data and 2011 AOA data. Ultimately this shouldn't make too much of a difference because most of the AOA's competitive specialties were filled both years, so the 2010 AOA data shouldn't vary dramatically.

I could not add match list rankings (which students were getting their first choice). I also could not account for one residency location being more competitive than others. My point being, even though DO's matched a very similar percentage to MD in internal medicine, most people would assume that MD's had first pick at the very competitive locations. This should be taken into consideration.

There is always a possibility of some of the data being miscalculated. Excel likes to screw with me sometimes.

This DOES NOT INCLUDE PRE-MATCH AND SCRAMBLE MATCHES!!

Very important: I also could not list the attrition rates because it was simply too much data scattered in different locations. You'll have to do your research for that.

Also note the the Urology MD match does not use the NRMP, so this lowers their percentages. If I find it, i'll add it.

Odds are this thread will either be buried, or turn into a flame war, but I wanted to at least put all of the statistics out there in one place, organized.

If we keep it civil it could possibly be the thread to end all MD vs DO vs Carib threads (wishful thinking).

The great thing about the statistics is that you can draw your own conclusions. Nervous about matching EM as a DO? Pop open the sheet and you see 373 DO's matched EM (PGY-1) and that 12% of graduating DO's match EM.

Hopefully someone gets a use out of it. It took me forever to make :laugh:.

Edit:

• The data has been UPDATED to include ALL PGY-1 and PGY-2 matches.
  • It has additional tables on sheet one which incorporate PGY-1 and PGY-2
  • Page 2 now includes every AOA detail I could find (cited)
  • Page 3 now includes 2011 data for both AOA and NRMP matching rates.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One in your whole department makes sense, since there are less DO's. What is the statistic again? 1 in 8 practicing physicians are DOs but that number should decrease to 1 in 6 by 2020s due to school expansion??

So having one in your whole department really doesn't reflect a lack of DO's entering ortho, just simply that you've encountered one at the appropriate rate one would expect given the ratio of MDs to DOs and then the even smaller fraction of graduates from either degree who choose to go ortho.

Semantics. A decrease between the disparity.

Thanks for playing.

Isn't it time for your afternoon nap? The grown ups here are trying to talk.

internet_serious_business.jpg
dyam... someone's mean

It will be easier if you go for an M.D. The majority of DO doctors do primary care, while the majority of MD doctors specialize.

That said, I think your Step 1 score will matter more than anything else, and do take the USMLE if you go DO. And you should probably get some research done while in medical school. No matter what, it will be pretty hard to get into ortho, but you get a slight advantage if you're MD.

So not true.

What are you talking about? Only 30-40% of allopathic doctors are in primary care.

It was some post a while back that stated the no matter if you are DO or MD you more than likely will be a Primary Care. It really depends what you consider PC though. Some people think primary care as OBGYN, IM, PEDS, FM.

It was some post a while back that stated the no matter if you are DO or MD you more than likely will be a Primary Care. It really depends what you consider PC though. Some people think primary care as OBGYN, IM, PEDS, FM.

this is true. though if you do breakdown the numbers I'm pretty sure more DO's do primary care than MD's......but if you want to do surgery as a DO it's not going to hurt you, just a tougher path but still doable

Greetings, fellow Bruin!

As an MD graduate, you're going to have an easier time matching into allopathic residencies than if you graduated with a DO (obviously). Now, depending on what you want to do, this may not matter. However, some things to take into consideration:

-ACGME (allopathic) residencies are more numerous than their AOA (osteopathic) counterparts

-The AOA does not offer residencies in all specialties, and some fellowships are also absent.

-DOs have access to both ACGME and AOA residency programs, but you'll have to compete with your allopathic counterparts if you want to match ACGME. Even in light of this, close to 70% of DOs that try their hand in the allopathic match will be successful.

-Many AOA programs are also ACGME accredited, so if you can find a dually accredited program, that's great!

-You can be an orthopedic surgeon perfectly well with either a DO or MD, but going the ACGME route will open up more fellowships to you, provided you want to subspecialize someday.

-DO schools do tend to be on the more expensive side, but there are public DO schools as well. OU-COM and TCOM, just to name a couple. Expect them to be just as selective with out-of state applicants as MD programs will be.

-Don't let people on SDN feed you the usual crap about the MD vs. DO stigma. Go to a school where you're comfortable and if possible, one that won't break the bank. I've only ever seen DO=bad on these boards and amongst fellow premeds. In practice it just plain isn't the reality.

A bit of a hint from a fellow californian as well: Your chances of staying in state, although decent if you have the stats, are not guaranteed in the slightest. For god's sake if staying in CA is your goal, apply to Touro and Western in addition to the usual allopathic gamut. Most of their students come from the UCs and they are not bad schools by any measure.

Somebody who answered the OP question. And there were a few things you put I did not know. Bravo to you. :D

WHoa whoa, theres no room for your data here, this is a MD vs DO thread. Get your logic and science crap outta here.

The Data

Interpret it however you'd like.

I show statistics (and cite) data for

• NRMP match data for every specialty for each pathway
  • NRMP match percentage for each specialty. This shows what percentage of the total applicant pool for each pathway matched in which specialty (i.e did everyone from DO schools match FM)
  • AOA match data for every specialty
  • Total DO student matches in each specialty NRMP + AOA
  • Matching percentage for NRMP + AOA. What percentage of DO students matched into each specialty when looking at both NRMP and AOA combined
  • Full 2011 AOA match list, organized in table format.
  • An analysis of the NRMP match rates, and the calcuation of a true DO student match rate, taking into consideration both the NRMP and the AOA match.
  • A comparasion between all the pathways match rates.
I was objective as humanly possible and listed my concerns about where there could be errors in the data on page 1 of the spread sheet.

My concerns

I was forced to use 2010 NRMP data and 2011 AOA data. Ultimately this shouldn't make too much of a difference because most of the AOA's competitive specialties were filled both years, so the 2010 AOA data shouldn't vary dramatically.

I could not add match list rankings (which students were getting their first choice). I also could not account for one residency location being more competitive than others. My point being, even though DO's matched a very similar percentage to MD in internal medicine, most people would assume that MD's had first pick at the very competitive locations. This should be taken into consideration.

There is always a possibility of some of the data being miscalculated. Excel likes to screw with me sometimes.

This DOES NOT INCLUDE PRE-MATCH AND SCRAMBLE MATCHES!!

Very important: I also could not list the attrition rates because it was simply too much data scattered in different locations. You'll have to do your research for that.

Also note the the Urology MD match does not use the NRMP, so this lowers their percentages. If I find it, i'll add it.

Odds are this thread will either be buried, or turn into a flame war, but I wanted to at least put all of the statistics out there in one place, organized.

If we keep it civil it could possibly be the thread to end all MD vs DO vs Carib threads (wishful thinking).

The great thing about the statistics is that you can draw your own conclusions. Nervous about matching EM as a DO? Pop open the sheet and you see 373 DO's matched EM (PGY-1) and that 12% of graduating DO's match EM.

Hopefully someone gets a use out of it. It took me forever to make :laugh:.

Edit:

• The data has been UPDATED to include ALL PGY-1 and PGY-2 matches.
  • It has additional tables on sheet one which incorporate PGY-1 and PGY-2
  • Page 2 now includes every AOA detail I could find (cited)
  • Page 3 now includes 2011 data for both AOA and NRMP matching rates.

WHoa whoa, theres no room for your data here, this is a MD vs DO thread. Get your logic and science crap outta here.

I should have known this after I posted all of the data everyone claims to want, and it's blatantly ignored. Oh well. If anyone actually cares about looking at actual evidence (hard data) instead of random anecdotal comments, feel free to look at the thread I posted earlier.

OP it boils down to you. Most people would choose MD if given the choice between the two. Despite however great and amazing the DO path is portrayed from posters here, most of them are shooting for, if not already in, MD programs. Is there anything wrong with DO? No there isn't, but its foolish to assume that going DO is going to give you the same opportunity, or respect in the field. The path is already difficult enough as it is, and if you want to do surgery then I don't see a point putting yourself at a further disadvantage. Of course if money is an issue, then I can't blame you, but otherwise going DO makes no sense unless you're convinced you can't get into an MD program.