DO with average usmle score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

POtheDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question may or may not have been asked before, but is it pointless to take the USMLE as a DO student if you can only get an average score, around a 220? The reason I want to take isn't so much for a competitive specialty as it is I'm not sure what specialty I'd like to do and not sure WHERE I want to be.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard take it either way because more programs will be able to compare you with other applicant. Also, I hear if you can manage to take both exams, you should also do so, but yeah whats the point of taking it if your gonna get below average, that would only serve to hurt you. A lot of DO kids like to take it because of the added opportunities and its just a better written test overall. I've been studying for both exams, and I can clearly see why students see it this way.

The advice I was given was that unless you are confident that you will do well on the USMLE Step 1, there is no benefit to taking it as a DO student. If you do average or below average, it may even hurt your chances. If anything, you can take USMLE Step 2, without having taken Step 1, as a third year student. Many residency programs will take your USMLE Step 2 score into consideration even if you don't have a Step 1 score.

Just what I've been told!