Do you do an ROL if no interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I find myself fighting the uphill battle as facing the possibility of not getting any resiency interviews. Has this happened to anyone out there before? What do I do if I don't interview about the rank order list for the Match? Do I still make a list as see what happens? I am so confused. :confused: I put myself in this predicament unwittingly and don't see a way out. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

cabinbuilder said:
So I find myself fighting the uphill battle as facing the possibility of not getting any resiency interviews. Has this happened to anyone out there before? What do I do if I don't interview about the rank order list for the Match? Do I still make a list as see what happens? I am so confused. :confused: I put myself in this predicament unwittingly and don't see a way out. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. :eek:

Hi Cabin, sorry about the interview situation - but I think if you read the websites of the places you applied they tend to say that they require a personal interview to begin training. However, you can always scramble or put down your home school. Good luck and I hope things pick up for you! :luck: :luck:

cabinbuilder said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW. My answer is NO.

Oh, and the maximum number of smileys permitted is eight. That's not very many is it?

Programs only rank candidates that they've interviewed. I suggest talking to your faculty advisor, and fast. Your only option now may be to scramble. :(

I don't get the smiley faces from Orange Julius. Taking pleasure in others misery?

I am missing the smilies here, too. If it isn't a joke, you are one cold-hearted bastard. Never had anything bad or sad happen to you before?

Orange Julius said:

Cabin, I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. What specialty are you applying for?

You can take heart in that many specialties do not fill during match and you will be able to pursue your career of choice through scramble.

Good luck to you!

The others are right...you cannot rank programs that you did not interview at. Therefore, no interviews = no ROL.

Please speak with your faculty advisor or a faculty member in the field you wish to match in and see if he/she can make some phone calls on your behalf. Programs are still interviewing and perhaps you can still score a spot.

If not, there are other options for next year.

Kimberli Cox said:
The others are right...you cannot rank programs that you did not interview at. Therefore, no interviews = no ROL.

Please speak with your faculty advisor or a faculty member in the field you wish to match in and see if he/she can make some phone calls on your behalf. Programs are still interviewing and perhaps you can still score a spot.

So the problem is two fold I guess. I want to do surgery, I go to DO school

1) We do not have a faculty advisor per se after the first two year.
2) There are no "departments" with faculty that you go to for advise on matters like this. I have been trying to get answers but to no avail.

So, I probably will have to scramble which sucks terribly. I haven't been denied by all of my applications yet so there is still hope. I was just trying to get feedback or the possibility.

Thanks everyone for their replies, except that Orange Julius who needs to seriously get a life.

cabinbuilder said:

2) There are no "departments" with faculty that you go to for advise on matters like this. I have been trying to get answers but to no avail.

So, I probably will have to scramble which sucks terribly. I haven't been denied by all of my applications yet so there is still hope. I was just trying to get feedback or the possibility.

Thanks everyone for their replies, except that Orange Julius who needs to seriously get a life.

Hi Cabin, did you apply for the DO match too? I know surgery was rough this year - sorry! Good luck, I'll say a prayer for you :)

Kimberli Cox said:

Shouldn't he also get on the phone and call programs himself?

Poety said:
Hi Cabin, did you apply for the DO match too? I know surgery was rough this year - sorry! Good luck, I'll say a prayer for you :)

NO, I did not apply for the DO match. I cannot even visualize me being stuck on the East Coast for 5 more years. I just won't do it. I have been miserable and I would rather do a prelim spot on the West coast and reapply than be trapped. Most DO programs are in PA and NY and OH. These locations I just can't do it for myself and my family. If the mom is unhappy everyone is unhappy.

cabinbuilder said:
NO, I did not apply for the DO match. I cannot even visualize me being stuck on the East Coast for 5 more years. I just won't do it. I have been miserable and I would rather do a prelim spot on the West coast and reapply than be trapped. Most DO programs are in PA and NY and OH. These locations I just can't do it for myself and my family. If the mom is unhappy everyone is unhappy.

Aint it the truth? :laugh:

at this point in the game, i would consider contacting the remaining programs about their intention to interview you or not. sometimes a program will leave you hanging when they never meant to interview you in the first place, which can be quite annoying for applicants.

in terms of scrambling, it may not be the end of the world. i remember there was a mix-up with the match process a few years ago where a couple of spots went unmatched at uva (one of the better places to train in surgery), so a couple of lucky folks took those spots. errors aside, i would try and look up which programs on the west coast traditionally have a few unmatched places you could scramble into. time is apparently of the essence when it comes to the scramble so knowing in advance where you would like to end up would be helpful...

gwb said:
i would try and look up which programs on the west coast traditionally have a few unmatched places you could scramble into. time is apparently of the essence when it comes to the scramble so knowing in advance where you would like to end up would be helpful...

I actually did this when trying to decided where to apply, aside from a few just about all the programs I applied to did not fill totallly last year. So it is my hope that I will be able to get something out west even if I didn't interview initially.

skypilot said:
Shouldn't he also get on the phone and call programs himself?

Sure, but he might find that some help from "higher ups" would be of more assistance. Having a faculty member call programs to which the OP applied, but didn't receive interviews, might be able to sway some support in his direction. Usually the applicant doesn't have such influence.

Kimberli Cox said:
Sure, but he might find that some help from "higher ups" would be of more assistance. Having a faculty member call programs to which the OP applied, but didn't receive interviews, might be able to sway some support in his direction. Usually the applicant doesn't have such influence.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have a meeting next week. I will see what I can do.

cabinbuilder said:

I am rather confused about item number 2 above. When referring to department faculty I meant the Department of Surgery, not an advising department. Whom did you have write your LORs for you? There should be some faculty at your school who could assist you with this problem but as you note, you might have to scramble.

Kimberli Cox said:
I am rather confused about item number 2 above. When referring to department faculty I meant the Department of Surgery, not an advising department. Whom did you have write your LORs for you? There should be some faculty at your school who could assist you with this problem but as you note, you might have to scramble.

Like I said before there are no departments at my school. We are taught by PhD faculty and the courses are augmented by visiting practicing physicians from around the city. There is no dept of surgery or any other dept like you would find at a large MD school. It just doesn't work that way. I got my LOR's from physicians I rotated with who are not affiliated with my school at all. We have to find our own letter writers when we rotate wherever. Strange??

I find that kind of strange that there are no departments at your school and that you are taught by PhDs. So all you clinical rotations are with visiting physicians?

But I think that the scramble might be your best bet if you don't get any interviews for a categorical position. As a medical student, I remember some residents initially being given a prelim spot and later transitioned into a categorical spot. :oops: Well, good luck to you.

quark said:
I find that kind of strange that there are no departments at your school and that you are taught by PhDs. So all you clinical rotations are with visiting physicians?

But I think that the scramble might be your best bet if you don't get any interviews for a categorical position. As a medical student, I remember some residents initially being given a prelim spot and later transitioned into a categorical spot. :oops: Well, good luck to you.

Yes, out of 2 years of rotations I will have rotated with 2 physicians who teach at my school, the rest are not affiliated.

Yes, I am planning on having to scramble. I contacted the last 7 sites I was waiting on and go 3 denials right away so I am not holding my breath on the last 4. Even if I get a prelim spot at this point I will be happy. It's just that I hate to have to move yet again after the prelim year. It would disrupt my kids in school - what a pain for them too.

Ouch...I feel for you man. I don't know what to tell you, except good luck and keep your head up. I can't imagine a school run like this. Even the carribean people I've met had departments that helped them with the match. Care to tell us which school this is (for my curiousity, and so future pre-meds know what they're getting into). Hope it all works out for ya. Happy holidays

Good luck, seriously.

What DO school do you attend? That's one bizarre system they have, and it doesn't seem that it serves their students very well, in more ways than one...

I wonder if you might be able to get a few programs to take a look at you if you call to apply for a prelim position. The boat has clearly sailed on categorical positions IMHO, and so if you are looking to scramble anyway, consider that it'd be better if you could at least secure a prelim position through the match. It seems unlikely based on what you are saying, that you would get a categorical position in the scramble anyway (the past few years, there haven't been that many, and what ones those were, were not on the west coast that I can recall.)

So I finally got an answer by emailing NMRP directly about what to do if you didn't interview. They said that you are to submit a certified blank ROL so you are in the system when the scramble comes. Now why couldn't anyone else out there tell me that???? Don't know.

Anyhow, there is the answer for those few in the same boat as me.

I don't think anyone else knew to do that cabin.

GOod luck with the scramble!

Good luck. I know Mt Sinai in Chicago didnt fill a number of spots. I dont think this will help you with your quest of heading back east. If you want specifics on this program PM me.

Hey Cabinbuilder. I am sorry for your situation :( . I hope you scramble into a very good program. But I had a question. I also am a 3rd year DO student who is interested in going into general surgery :cool: . I will be applying to allopathic programs only :D . If you don't mind me asking, what do think was the reason that you did not get any interviews? Is it because you are a DO applying to allopathic general surgery programs :eek:? Did you apply to high-grade academic programs only :scared: ? Is there any advice you can give me to avoid a similar situation :) ? Sorry, I am not trying to nose into your business :oops: , but I am asking because I want to know how to prepare myself before applying ;) . Thanks in advance and good luck :thumbup: .

goooooober said:
Hey Cabinbuilder. I am sorry for your situation :( . I hope you scramble into a very good program. But I had a question. I also am a 3rd year DO student who is interested in going into general surgery :cool: . I will be applying to allopathic programs only :D . If you don't mind me asking, what do think was the reason that you did not get any interviews? Is it because you are a DO applying to allopathic general surgery programs :eek:? Did you apply to high-grade academic programs only :scared: ? Is there any advice you can give me to avoid a similar situation :) ? Sorry, I am not trying to nose into your business :oops: , but I am asking because I want to know how to prepare myself before applying ;) . Thanks in advance and good luck :thumbup: .

Wow, that's impressive use of the smilies.

monkey7247 said:
Wow, that's impressive use of the smilies.

yeah, it really is, makes the whole thing colorful .... very well placed. :laugh:

goooooober said:

I think for me the main fact is that I did not take the USMLE (just take part II) and that I was not able to rotate in a lot of the places I applied to (most of them). Also, I only applied to the West coast because I want to be in that geographic area where DO's are not well known. Honestly I don't know which programs are high grade or low. I just went down the list for west coast and mountain programs and applied to the majority of them. Good luck to you. I seriously didn't think it was going to be this hard to get an interview - I was wrong there. Something will happen eventually because I really don't care about where I end up for residency just as long as I get to do surgery.

cabinbuilder said:
I think for me the main fact is that I did not take the USMLE (just take part II) and that I was not able to rotate in a lot of the places I applied to (most of them). Also, I only applied to the West coast because I want to be in that geographic area where DO's are not well known. Honestly I don't know which programs are high grade or low. I just went down the list for west coast and mountain programs and applied to the majority of them. Good luck to you. I seriously didn't think it was going to be this hard to get an interview - I was wrong there. Something will happen eventually because I really don't care about where I end up for residency just as long as I get to do surgery.

Get a surg prelim position anyway you can. Many categoricals open at the PG2 position after folks leave to follow their stars to some other specialty. You can then jump in without another match. If your prelim is at a big place, there's a fair chance of success within your own institution.

BKN said:
Get a surg prelim position anyway you can. Many categoricals open at the PG2 position after folks leave to follow their stars to some other specialty. You can then jump in without another match. If your prelim is at a big place, there's a fair chance of success within your own institution.

Thanks BKN, that's what I am hoping to do - get into surgery somewhere some how whether it be prelim or categorical. At this point beggars can't be chooser. I personally draw the line though at NYC - just wouldn't work for me.

get ready for the scramble. Hopefully you have a good dean's office that will facilitate the scramble for you. If not, make sure that you have a fax machine, (they cost ~$50), and a second phone line for voice calls like a cell phone. And printed copies of your ERAS CAF,CV,etc and supporting stuff. As soon as the unfilled list comes out, start faxing quickly and dialing PD phone numbers. The scramble is first come first serve. Good luck.

I have already told the school about my situation. They are ready for me to scramble and have all the necessary info/equiment I will need. Thanks for the support. It's appreciated.

cabinbuilder said:

I think you set yourself up for this by not taking the USMLE or rotating at the places you applied to. What were you thinking?

nycom914 said:
I think you set yourself up for this by not taking the USMLE or rotating at the places you applied to. What were you thinking?

I already accepted my fate as my own doing. No need to be mean about it. I tried to get rotations out West but most were full (and I applied almost a year ahead) so its not like I was a slacker and just assumed things would happen. I did do 2 rotations out West but I only have so many electives I can use. I have a family to take care of so it's not like I can just up and leave any time of the year. Plus I can only go by what my school told me. Either way, I don't know why I have to defend myself here, I'm not blaming anyone for my situation. It is what it is.

:thumbup:
cabinbuilder said:
I already accepted my fate as my own doing. No need to be mean about it. I tried to get rotations out West but most were full (and I applied almost a year ahead) so its not like I was a slacker and just assumed things would happen. I did do 2 rotations out West but I only have so many electives I can use. I have a family to take care of so it's not like I can just up and leave any time of the year. Plus I can only go by what my school told me. Either way, I don't know why I have to defend myself here, I'm not blaming anyone for my situation. It is what it is.

There are still positions open on the Osteopathic scramble. Have you considered moving to the midwest? There is one position open in Brooklyn if you like a big east coast city. If you want more information on the locations in Michigan PM me.

Openings in Surgery:
DMUCOM/MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
ATTN: MEDICAL EDUCATION OFFICE
1111 6TH AVENUE
DES MOINES IA 50314
Telephone: (515) 643-2261
Fax: (515) 643-5802
DME: KENDALL REED, DO
Program: CMB:S/GENERAL SURGERY
Code: 65749 Openings: 1

KCOM/DETROIT RIVERVIEW HOSPITAL
7733 EAST JEFFERSON
DETROIT MI 48214
Telephone: (313) 499-4515
Fax: (313) 499-4983
DME: WILLIAM G. ANDERSON, DO
Program: INT:TRADITIONAL ROTATING
Code: 40111 Openings: 2
Program: CMB:T/GENERAL SURGERY
Code: 40149 Openings: 3
Program: CMB:IM/INTERNAL MEDICINE
Code: 40150 Openings: 4
Program: CMB:OBG/OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY
Code: 40155 Openings: 3

GENESYS HEALTH SYSTEMS
ONE GENESYS PARKWAY
GRAND BLANC MI 48439
Telephone: (810) 606-5980
Fax: (810) 606-5990
DME: RICHARD J LABAERE II DO MPH
Code: 78011 Openings: 1
Program: CMB:T/EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Code: 78045 Openings: 3
Program: CMB:T/FAMILY PRACTICE
Code: 78046 Openings: 2
Code: 78049 Openings: 3
Code: 78050 Openings: 0
Code: 78055 Openings: 1

INGHAM REGIONAL MED CTR
401 WEST GREENLAWN AVENUE
LANSING MI 48910-2819
Telephone: (517) 334-2195
Fax: (517) 372-6757
DME: R. TAYLOR SCOTT, DO
Code: 68511 Openings: 1
Program: CMB:T/ANESTHESIOLOGY
Code: 68541 Openings: 2
Program: CMB:FP/FAMILY PRACTICE
Code: 68546 Openings: 3
Code: 68549 Openings: 1
Code: 68550 Openings: 4
Code: 68555 Openings: 1

ST JOHN OAKLAND HOSPITAL
27351 DEQUINDRE ROAD
MADISON HEIGHTS MI 48071
Telephone: (248) 967-7795
Fax: (248) 967-7794
DME: SAROJ MISRA, DO
Code: 58011 Openings: 2
Program: INT:EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Code: 58012 Openings: 2
Code: 58049 Openings: 1
Code: 58050 Openings: 1
Program: CMB:OOP/OTO-FACIAL PLASTIC SRG
Code: 58062 Openings: 1

MOUNT CLEMENS GENERAL HOSPITAL
1000 HARRINGTON BLVD
MOUNT CLEMENS MI 48043-2992
Telephone: (586) 493-8195
Fax: (586) 493-8799
DME: KIRSTEN WAARALA DO
Code: 54011 Openings: 5
Program: CMB:EM/EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Code: 54045 Openings: 1
Code: 54046 Openings: 2
Code: 54049 Openings: 1
Code: 54050 Openings: 3
Code: 54055 Openings: 1

PONTIAC OSTEOPATHIC HOSPITAL
50 NORTH PERRY STREET
PONTIAC MI 48342-2253
Telephone: (248) 338-5392
Fax: (248) 338-5567
DME: GARY L WILLYERD DO
Code: 54745 Openings: 3
Code: 54746 Openings: 3
Program: CMB:FP/FAMILY PRAC-EMERG MED
Code: 54747 Openings: 1
Code: 54749 Openings: 2
Code: 54750 Openings: 2
Program: CMB:IM/INTERNAL MED-EMERG MED
Code: 54751 Openings: 1
Code: 54755 Openings: 2
Program: CMB:T/ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
Code: 54758 Openings: 1

DES PERES HOSPITAL
2345 DOUGHERTY FERRY ROAD
ST. LOUIS MO 63122
Telephone: (314) 966-9491
Fax: (314) 966-9394
DME: KENNETH E. ROSS, DO
Code: 68246 Openings: 2
Code: 68249 Openings: 1

NYCOM/WYCKOFF HEIGHTS MED CTR
374 STOCKHOLM STREET
BROOKLYN NY 11237-4099
Telephone: (718) 963-7701
Fax: (718) 486-4177
DME: E KENNETH FREIBERG DO
Code: 65046 Openings: 1
Code: 65049 Openings: 2
Code: 65055 Openings: 2

OUCOM/DOCTORS HOSPITAL
5100 WEST BROAD STREET
COLUMBUS OH 43228
Telephone: (614) 544-1032
Fax: (614) 544-1751
DME: KIRK L HILLIARD DO
Code: 41911 Openings: 8
Code: 41946 Openings: 3
Code: 41949 Openings: 1
Code: 41950 Openings: 1
Code: 41951 Openings: 1
Program: CMB:T/NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY
Code: 41953 Openings: 0

There are traditional rotating internships available at DO hospitals in California if all else fails. :(

:thumbup:
cabinbuilder said:

There are still positions open on the Osteopathic scramble. Have you considered moving to the midwest? There is one position open in Brooklyn if you like a big east coast city. If you want more information on the locations in Michigan PM me.

Openings in Surgery:
DMUCOM/MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
ATTN: MEDICAL EDUCATION OFFICE
1111 6TH AVENUE
DES MOINES IA 50314
Telephone: (515) 643-2261
Fax: (515) 643-5802
DME: KENDALL REED, DO
Code: 65749 Openings: 1

KCOM/DETROIT RIVERVIEW HOSPITAL
7733 EAST JEFFERSON
DETROIT MI 48214
Telephone: (313) 499-4515
Fax: (313) 499-4983
DME: WILLIAM G. ANDERSON, DO
Code: 40111 Openings: 2
Code: 40149 Openings: 3
Code: 40150 Openings: 4
Code: 40155 Openings: 3

GENESYS HEALTH SYSTEMS
ONE GENESYS PARKWAY
GRAND BLANC MI 48439
Telephone: (810) 606-5980
Fax: (810) 606-5990
DME: RICHARD J LABAERE II DO MPH
Code: 78011 Openings: 1
Code: 78045 Openings: 3
Program: CMB:T/FAMILY PRACTICE
Code: 78046 Openings: 2
Code: 78049 Openings: 3
Code: 78050 Openings: 0
Code: 78055 Openings: 1

INGHAM REGIONAL MED CTR
401 WEST GREENLAWN AVENUE
LANSING MI 48910-2819
Telephone: (517) 334-2195
Fax: (517) 372-6757
DME: R. TAYLOR SCOTT, DO
Code: 68511 Openings: 1
Program: CMB:T/ANESTHESIOLOGY
Code: 68541 Openings: 2
Code: 68546 Openings: 3
Code: 68549 Openings: 1
Code: 68550 Openings: 4
Code: 68555 Openings: 1

ST JOHN OAKLAND HOSPITAL
27351 DEQUINDRE ROAD
MADISON HEIGHTS MI 48071
Telephone: (248) 967-7795
Fax: (248) 967-7794
DME: SAROJ MISRA, DO
Code: 58011 Openings: 2
Program: INT:EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Code: 58012 Openings: 2
Code: 58049 Openings: 1
Code: 58050 Openings: 1
Program: CMB:OOP/OTO-FACIAL PLASTIC SRG
Code: 58062 Openings: 1

MOUNT CLEMENS GENERAL HOSPITAL
1000 HARRINGTON BLVD
MOUNT CLEMENS MI 48043-2992
Telephone: (586) 493-8195
Fax: (586) 493-8799
DME: KIRSTEN WAARALA DO
Code: 54011 Openings: 5
Program: CMB:EM/EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Code: 54045 Openings: 1
Code: 54046 Openings: 2
Code: 54049 Openings: 1
Code: 54050 Openings: 3
Code: 54055 Openings: 1

PONTIAC OSTEOPATHIC HOSPITAL
50 NORTH PERRY STREET
PONTIAC MI 48342-2253
Telephone: (248) 338-5392
Fax: (248) 338-5567
DME: GARY L WILLYERD DO
Code: 54745 Openings: 3
Code: 54746 Openings: 3
Program: CMB:FP/FAMILY PRAC-EMERG MED
Code: 54747 Openings: 1
Code: 54749 Openings: 2
Code: 54750 Openings: 2
Code: 54751 Openings: 1
Code: 54755 Openings: 2
Program: CMB:T/ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
Code: 54758 Openings: 1

DES PERES HOSPITAL
2345 DOUGHERTY FERRY ROAD
ST. LOUIS MO 63122
Telephone: (314) 966-9491
Fax: (314) 966-9394
DME: KENNETH E. ROSS, DO
Code: 68246 Openings: 2
Code: 68249 Openings: 1

NYCOM/WYCKOFF HEIGHTS MED CTR
374 STOCKHOLM STREET
BROOKLYN NY 11237-4099
Telephone: (718) 963-7701
Fax: (718) 486-4177
DME: E KENNETH FREIBERG DO
Code: 65046 Openings: 1
Code: 65049 Openings: 2
Code: 65055 Openings: 2

OUCOM/DOCTORS HOSPITAL
5100 WEST BROAD STREET
COLUMBUS OH 43228
Telephone: (614) 544-1032
Fax: (614) 544-1751
DME: KIRK L HILLIARD DO
Code: 41911 Openings: 8
Code: 41946 Openings: 3
Code: 41949 Openings: 1
Code: 41950 Openings: 1
Code: 41951 Openings: 1
Program: CMB:T/NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY
Code: 41953 Openings: 0

There are traditional rotating internships available at DO hospitals in California if all else fails. :(

I thank you for you time in putting that list together. I actually have the unmatched list for DO's but am waiting for the MD list as well so I can see what is out there. It is my goal to get off the great lakes for health reasons. My body cannot take the weather anymore and I would never make it through a program staying here. I will not go to NYC. Everything works out for a reason. I have faith. Thanks for your effort.