Do you do compounding in retail?

Started by pharmkj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmkj

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was an intern and worked at CVS, we never did compounding except magic mouthwash... If a patient came in wanting a compound, we just refer them to a compounding pharmacy or an independent pharmacy.


I relocated to North Carolina and work for CVS down here as a pharmacist. And when I asked my partner where the nearest compounding/independent pharmacy was so we can refer our patient there if they wanted a compounded item... she looked at me as if I had 2 heads..

She tells we me do all the compounding at CVS... she showed me this huge ass binder with a record of all the compounding they did that year.... which made my heart sink cause now I have to compound, and YES I KNOW i am a pharmacist, but I just dont feel tooo confident (cuz the only thing I made was simple ointments, and magic wash).
 
i used to when i was 1st licensed but "where's the time now?". I have reports and telemarketing to do. It's a shame cuz i kinda had a knack for compounding. One of my customers used to travel miles to get me to make her compounds. Some CVS that are 24 hours have the overnight do it
 
I worked at a store that did lots of compounding. It was a little intimidating at first, but once you do some mixtures you gain confidence. And it tends to be the same few things over and over, mostly. For the less-common, complicated and fiddly stuff, you can tell the customers to come back the next day. It's pretty straightforward, and it's a nice change from handing out pills and inhalers all day.