Do you feel like consultants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ttan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the ICU do you feel like your at the end of the line when it comes to decisions?

Internal medicine is so annoying in that it sometimes feels as every single little detail is consulted out for someone else to address, and in that you are not much more than a coordinator of care.

In a closed ICU does that feel change? Or do you simply continue to feel as a coordinator of care for much sicker patients?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never found consultants terribly helpful in the icu. Fwiw. I guess the renal guys when I need dialysis.

Reactions: 1 user
In the ICU do you feel like your at the end of the line when it comes to decisions?

Internal medicine is so annoying in that it sometimes feels as every single little detail is consulted out for someone else to address, and in that you are not much more than a coordinator of care.

In a closed ICU does that feel change? Or do you simply continue to feel as a coordinator of care for much sicker patients?

Man, where I work, the consultants are so busy we don't contact them unless we really need to. Ton of curbsiding, that's about it... I guess we use nephrology a lot.

The only time consultants are useful in a closed unit are when they have machines or do procedures you can't/don't do. Surgical consultants, when appropriate. Nephrologists to start CRRT, oncologists to start chemo on an acute leuk, cards to do a cath, etc.