Hey, I am not saying the King does not work, I just found it interesting that the FDA put the smack down on King. In fact, as stated I think very few devices can be officially advertised as pre-hospital alternative intubation devices. The combitube comes to mind.
I agree that the King does not really have any improvement over the combitube IMHO. As stated, I agree that I would never attempt to use a bougie to transition a functional supraglottic device to an ETT. I would have a hard time explaining why I pulled a perfectly good device in the theoretical attempt to place an ETT. High risk, low return IMHO. Perhaps I am just a combitube purist.
Back to the discussion: In my area of the world, I am starting to see a big push toward fiberoptic and video based techniques. I just returned from a trip to Texas where I was teaching a critical care transport orientation course and met a paramedic who worked for a back country EMS service with two ambulances total. His service managed to place a Glidescope on each ambulance and the medic quoted a price of less than $10,000 per unit. As the prices continue to decrease, the return on investment will continue to appeal to more and more services. In addition, with the proliferation of non-volatile flash memory and video recording, we now have the ability to recored our intubation. We now have video evidence, and when married with waveform capnography, you have a solid method for determination of placement.