Do you have a backup plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acetk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a backup plan if they do not get into a pharmacy school? I am hoping to get a BA in chemistry and then apply to Pharmacy School after but I dont really know what I would do if I didnt get in. I thought about becoming a nurse or physician assistant but my love in life is to make things; drugs, food, woodwork, etc. So if I dont make it, Im thinking of either going into culinary school or go into pharmaceutical research but I would have to probably get a PHD in chemistry.

I was just curious on what you guys planned on. Goodluck and hope everyone does well =).

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a backup plan if they do not get into a pharmacy school? I am hoping to get a BA in chemistry and then apply to Pharmacy School after but I dont really know what I would do if I didnt get in. I thought about becoming a nurse or physician assistant but my love in life is to make things; drugs, food, woodwork, etc. So if I dont make it, Im thinking of either going into culinary school or go into pharmaceutical research but I would have to probably get a PHD in chemistry.

I was just curious on what you guys planned on. Goodluck and hope everyone does well =).
I will take BS in Chemistry.

I will take BS in Chemistry.

Unless you are at an Ivy League school, a BS in chemistry probably won't take you very far in life. For majors like chemistry and biology, a master's degree or PhD is really needed.

Some people do well with just a BS from a little know school, but more people wind up being high school teachers :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I planned on going into grad school as an at large student if things didn't work out.

Having a backup plan and potential future helps relieves stress during the admissions process IMO.

If I don't get in this year, I plan on working as a tech to get some more experience. I'll probably also take a few more pre-reqs I don't have time to take this year so I can apply more broadly. Not being able to take speech and microecon really limited my choices. I am also thinking about getting my BA in Religious Studies, which is my minor right now. Not horribly useful, but really interesting to me. I don't know if I could afford that though! I'll probably just work a lot. If I don't get in a second time, I would probably spend a good chunk of my time crying.

Please don't go out and get an M.S. in some scientific discipline, unless you are trying to reaapply or are happy with making 10$ an hour as a lab b*tch. It's a waste of time IMO.

It's truly sad how hard we all have worked opposed to non pre-health majors, and what little our degrees offer. We are just not economically viable. Over-educated and underskilled as they say.

Please don't go out and get an M.S. in some scientific discipline, unless you are trying to reaapply or are happy with making 10$ an hour as a lab b*tch. It's a waste of time IMO.

It's truly sad how hard we all have worked opposed to non pre-health majors, and what little our degrees offer. We are just not economically viable. Over-educated and underskilled as they say.

Word. BS/MS in biology is essentially useless and if you want a "good" job you will be geographically tied to certain parts of the country where your salary will afford you a nice crappy lifestyle when you take into account metropolitan areas' inflated housing costs (even during a crashing market), daycare costs, insurance costs, etc. No, I'm not bitter.

I think I might double major in Information Technology or something. Computers and software are my main hobby anyway.

I think this is a very important thread. we need to be unstoppable, even by rejection!
i'm trying to think of a plan that will relieve some of the stress; so that if i don't get in, i will have a different plan to look forward to.
if i don't get in:
i think i'm going to take chinese classes: i'd like to be able to say in a pharmaceutical company interview someday, "I've got a PharmD and I speak Chinese, what up!"
I still need to take a & p!, so I could do that.
get a job in a pharmacy.
take some business classes and look more closely at a joint PharmD/MBA program.
take biochem. take more calc and more physics.
So, I've got enough to do, without a doubt. but I think that the bad effects of the initial rejection (if I don't get in) will be lessened if I've got a plan and stay busy and focused.
Anyway, that's my backup...
BTW, i know a lady that has a MS in Bio and she works at a pharmaceutical research company and makes 75+ a year.

I think this is a very important thread. we need to be unstoppable, even by rejection!
i'm trying to think of a plan that will relieve some of the stress; so that if i don't get in, i will have a different plan to look forward to.
if i don't get in:
i think i'm going to take chinese classes: i'd like to be able to say in a pharmaceutical company interview someday, "I've got a PharmD and I speak Chinese, what up!"
I still need to take a & p!, so I could do that.
get a job in a pharmacy.
take some business classes and look more closely at a joint PharmD/MBA program.
take biochem. take more calc and more physics.
So, I've got enough to do, without a doubt. but I think that the bad effects of the initial rejection (if I don't get in) will be lessened if I've got a plan and stay busy and focused.
Anyway, that's my backup...
BTW, i know a lady that has a MS in Bio and she works at a pharmaceutical research company and makes 75+ a year.

I also know a guy who has a B.S. in Biology and works for microsoft making 80K right out of college doing nothing related to his major......he graduated from Duke, and was the president of his fraternity. If we were all this lucky, it would be a perfect world....

This does NOT happen often at all. The average science college grad gets slapped hard in the face after they realize there are no real jobs out there for them and they are stuck making 10$/hr cleaning test tubes for some idiot. Times have changed. Mid to late 90s, you would be set. Not anymore, we are just numbers.

The only thing you can do is switch gears, instead of wasting more time with this science rat race.

Luckily i'm going for a bs in comp sci with a minor in chemistry.

Go big or go home. Pharmacy or bust for me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
jacky treehorn treats objects like women man. I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about having a plan so i don't start using heroin or anything when i get a rejection letter.
It's all about working hard for me. No matter the degree, as long as someone busts their ass, they can do anything. thsi is america, the sky's the limit baby. i think having a plan for next year if i get rejected will make it easier for me to continue to work hard, that';s all i was sayin.

If I dont get in, I will keep trying.. that's my backup plan. :D

Keep applying or become a nurse that way I could at least make some money.

keep trying, or maybe medical school if i decide to finish my degree. HEALTHCARE OR BUST!

continue to get a b.s. in biology get some volunteer experience and apply again!!:)

I would keep trying as well. Working as a tech in the meantime.

If I dont get in, I will keep trying.. that's my backup plan. :D

same here! i'll work as a tech after i get my license to gain experience and familiarize myself with the more common drugs--self study, if u will.

jacky treehorn treats objects like women man. I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about having a plan so i don't start using heroin or anything when i get a rejection letter.
It's all about working hard for me. No matter the degree, as long as someone busts their ass, they can do anything. thsi is america, the sky's the limit baby. i think having a plan for next year if i get rejected will make it easier for me to continue to work hard, that';s all i was sayin.

I like your style, dude.