Do you have any questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bodeno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far in every interview I've had, everyone asks me if I have any questions. This includes the pre-interview dinner, morning kick-off session, each of the 3-4 interviewers, program director, program chair, resident lunch, and program coordinator.

So far I feel like I get straight answers, especially when I ask it twice and get the same answer.

So residents (and fellows and attendings) are there any questions you wished you would have asked after getting into a program that you did not ask on your interview day(s)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from the school of thought that most programs are pretty good, while some are outstanding. Things that are important in my opinion are mainly volume related. You'll get enough adult anesthesia anywhere. Really ask about pediatrics, and ask the tough questions. When, where, how much, what cases and how old are they. The ACGME numbers are very very low for kids, and you don't want to be doing your 6th under 6 month old anesthetic on your own as an attending because you got the required 5 in residency. There's plenty of practices where you will do pedi whether you like it or not, and you'll be the only one there and just have to deal with it.

So far in every interview I've had, everyone asks me if I have any questions. This includes the pre-interview dinner, morning kick-off session, each of the 3-4 interviewers, program director, program chair, resident lunch, and program coordinator.

So far I feel like I get straight answers, especially when I ask it twice and get the same answer.

So residents (and fellows and attendings) are there any questions you wished you would have asked after getting into a program that you did not ask on your interview day(s)?

some random thoughts and a few questions I dont hear too often:

We had applicant interview dinner last night and these are a few of the questions I got from one applicant. I thought she was exceptionally strong by the way she had these questions organized for the residents. I actually felt like I was being interviewed. All of that and the social skills that go with making a pleasant evening and you will have the residents sold on you.

How much does the administration ensure that the residents are getting the cases and procedures as well as the didactics that they need to progress?

What are the case numbers or procedures that the residents tend to have problems with?

Is there an active mentorship program that helps with these things as well?

What changes both positive and negative in the curriculum and the administration have occured?

Also, every applicant tends to ask what are the programs weaknesses but noone really asksme what the programs strengths are. I know the administration really talks up our strengths but the perspective from a resident might be different.