Do you have to be athletic for DPT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TaiwanesePharmGirl

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize if this is a silly question, but is athletic inclination necessary for this profession?

I am going to volunteer at a physical therapy practice, and the DPT told me that as a volunteer I could assist with the exercises the patients go through. Well in connecting the dots does that mean DPTs need to be flexible, athletic, etc in order to perform the exercises with the patients? I'm sure I can get the grades and do well on the GREs, but I'm definitely not gifted in flexibility 🙁 And I don't know much about sports.
 
It is usually the case that a pre-PT or a PT have some athletic history because that's how they were exposed to PT in the first place. With that said, it is not the rule.

I'm far from flexible myself. My fitness background came from circuit training in the military, short distance running and some combatics. I wouldn't be able to tell you who's stats on what football team, who holds what record or who's shoes are coming out 80% of the time. A diverse background is welcomed. Don't let it hold you back.
 
Short answer that I've heard? No, you don't need to be. Does such an inclination typically draw in people with an athletic background? Sure, but you don't need to be an athlete yourself. Strength to be able to help lift patients or manipulate parts of their body are important but that doesn't mean you need to be "athletic."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Short answer that I've heard? No, you don't need to be. Does such an inclination typically draw in people with an athletic background? Sure, but you don't need to be an athlete yourself. Strength to be able to help lift patients or manipulate parts of their body are important but that doesn't mean you need to be "athletic."
 
I don't know anything about sports. But remember that you will be advocating for physical activity and healthy eating choices as a physical therapist. Make sure you live what you preach.
 
I will be starting a DPT program in a few weeks. I don't follow sports (except for hockey occasionally) and I don't participate in competitive sports, but I am physically active with running, lifting, and pilates. I started becoming physically active within the last 5 years so although I am not super fit, I am quite healthy. I'm a petite person and have wondered whether I am athletic or strong enough. However, I've witnessed many petite PTs and PTAs perform their jobs effectively by using proper body mechanics. One of the petite PTAs told me she doesn't do any physical activity whatsoever. My point is, you don't have to come from an athletic background to become a DPT and it certainly helps, but last time I checked, an athletic background isn't listed as a prerequisite to get into schools!