Do you have to include your work history?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nutmeg1621

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in the military but I got a general discharge after 3 years for somthing that I did. I don't like to talk about it and I know military service will come up in an interview or something if I have to put it on an application.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I forgot to say that if someone looks up my record all it says is general discharge and my old commander said I only need to say I was seperated. But in a school interview I think they might dig. Most people don't serve 3 years so I may have to explain myself. I guess I'm just worried.

You were in the service for 3 years- that is a big gaping hole in your application if you do not include it. It is going to look fishy. Bottom line- be honest and a general discharge is not the same as a dishonorable one, right? You can argue honestly that there was an inability to adapt to military life. You might even be able to turn this into a positive somehow.

In any event, you are going to need to disclose this information to get your medical license- if you lie, they will deny you a license. So don't. Also, a lot of physical impairment networks are going to consider arrests to be indicative of a drinking problem even if it is underage? What was the official charge? Public drunkeness, open container? DUI?

Members don't see this ad :)
vtucci said:
You were in the service for 3 years- that is a big gaping hole in your application if you do not include it. It is going to look fishy. Bottom line- be honest and a general discharge is not the same as a dishonorable one, right? You can argue honestly that there was an inability to adapt to military life. You might even be able to turn this into a positive somehow.

In any event, you are going to need to disclose this information to get your medical license- if you lie, they will deny you a license. So don't. Also, a lot of physical impairment networks are going to consider arrests to be indicative of a drinking problem even if it is underage? What was the official charge? Public drunkeness, open container? DUI?
It was an on base arrest so it isn't on my public records. It happened 3 years ago and I had to go to classes for it before I could get a discharge.

Having a problem with drugs or alcohol so long as you are getting treatment for it will not prevent you from getting licensed (although the board may require some type of monitoring situation). You might even be able to use this in your PS if you craft your statement correctly and deal with it deftly.

If you lie about it and get caught at any point, there is your problem. Don't do it, it is not worth the risk. You are going to pay 150K for your MD. Nothing pisses off the board more than a physician who lies and it would be a lie. They ask you in many applications if you were ever arrested or convicted of a misdeamnor or felony.

You can call the PRN (physician recovery network)- they are the group that works with physicians and now med students- if you are worried and they can better advise you. Plus some licensing boards are more flexible than others. We had a presentation just today about this and according to Dr. Pomm who is on the PRN in Florida, Florida is a more liberal jurisdiction.

Thanks. I never planned on lieing but I just wasn't sure if work history is included in the college application process specifically in interviews.