Do you know...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what U.S. dental schools take their NBDE Part I right after their first year? I know that BU takes their Part I in December of their second year, any others that you guys know?

The majority of the U.S. dental schools take the Part I after their second year in the summer. Any accurate info would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I attend Meharry Medical College, and we took Part 1 the summer of our first year. We crammed all our courses for the boards in the first year and I liked it that way. We didn't have much time to forget things. We had a terrific Tooth Morph/Intro to Occlusion instructor. He prepared us so well, I spent the least amount of time reviewing his stuff, that I didn't do as well as other areas. So, don't do that!!! Good luck!

Thanks...I appreciated! Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
This may not help, but I went to UTHSCSA dental school. I requested to take the NBDE I after my first year, however they would not approve it. The schools are only interested in the FIRST TIME Pass rate. The schools would rather risk you making a lower score by forgetting some things than risk you failing the exam because you didn't have everything or you had it too fast. The like to publish that a large percentage of their students pass the boards on the first go 'round. This is what our dean of academic affairs told me!

Colleaques:

My awesome dental school is currently going under many changes and implementing numerous new exciting stuff into our curriculum as well as to our facilities.

After a luncheon with the dental school Dean yesterday, I found out that we're (Class of 2006) most likely will have summer school to finish up all the Basic Science courses this upcoming summer and will take our NBDE Part I in December of 2003 (end of the Fall semester of our 2nd year) instead of the traditional July (summer) of our second year.

This is exciting news, at least in my opinion. I would love to get my Part I board out of the way and have all the Basic Sciences fresh in my mind when I take the Part I and then concentrate on Spring semester of my 2nd year. I'm not sure how your 2nd year curriculum is like at your dental school, but 2nd semester 2nd year is supposely the toughest and the most rigorious at Nova.

Other new exciting changes:

1) Our clinic is going all digital starting in Januray 2003

2) All students are required to purchase a Dell Laptop computer (NOTE: this is not the VitalBook thing like BU, NYU, and Arizona). Since all Nova is going paperless charting, textbooks and digital x-rays, each chair in the clinic will have a plug to connect to our student laptops and we can pull up patient info, charts, x-rays, or even video conferencing with the faculty for assistance.

3) We're integrating PBL curriculum starting Spring semester (D1)

4) Nova is getting 5 units of DimSim (Virtual reality simulator). I know that Temple Dental has this.

5) My class (D1) are being trained to dental assist starting next semester (Spring) to gain further clinical exposure in addition to already implemented prophies.

6) Increasing emphasis in Research, building more laboratory facilities.

Man, all this cool stuff coming up...Nova is too much fun!

:clap: