Do you like being a pharmacist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumbleboo12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask this is because I have heard that one in five pharmacists hates their jobs. So, please let me know in what field you work in and if you truly enjoy it. I very much want to become a pharmacist but want to make sure that the stories i have heard are the minority and that most like their jobs. What do you find the most rewarding part? Thank you very much for sharing.

Members don't see this ad.

skewed and sensationalized stats...pharmacy is the best doggone job there is!

Probably in every job 20% of employees dislike it.

Now when only 20% of the people in the job like it then perhaps it would be problematic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I like it. I've been a pharmacist for 30 years. I've done lots of things - hospital, retail (currently both at the same time)....teach, home IV (didn't like that too much). I've worked full time, part time. I've never been in industry, insurance, or large "corporate" or hmo facilities (think Kaiser or the VA....altho I interned at a VA in the 70's - a wild experience!!!). I've not been in "administration" - think dop (that would be Zpak) although I have had a number of supervisory roles.

I've hated getting up in the morning, working in the middle of the night, working holidays & missing days with my family. I've loved getting up in the mornng, working in the middle of the night, working holidays & working on days my family was doing other stuff. Sounds like a dichotomy - it is. Life & your job is a trade off all the time - I've chosen my trade offs, but what I choose may not be your choice.

But - would I do it all over again? - yes, in a heartbeat!!!

pm me if you have any particular questions.

im applying to pharmacy school next year. i ve been volunteering for about 8 months around 200 hours(a retail pharmacy). to be honest i really want to become a pharmacist. but ,with no disrespect, i've found it a bit boring and i say that beacuse working in a retail pharmacy has nothing to do with your knowledge its all about selling stuff and recording things on computer. one day the pharmacist i'm working with tolm me that i dont feel like a pharmacist , i feel like a seller.

BUT i think working as a hospital pharmacist is alot more fun since its pure pharmacy.

Your pharmacist is not doing a very good job being a pharmacist! It really does require a lot more than just "selling stuff & recording things on a computer".

You might look into finding another location in which to work - that pharmacist is not being a very good example for you.

Your pharmacist is not doing a very good job being a pharmacist! It really does require a lot more than just "selling stuff & recording things on a computer".

You might look into finding another location in which to work - that pharmacist is not being a very good example for you.
The job sucks dude

let's be real

retail is garbage ... I would be out in a heartbeat if they didn't pay me decent

Reactions: 1 user
The job sucks dude

let's be real

retail is garbage ... I would be out in a heartbeat if they didn't pay me decent
You just replied to a NINE year old post. I highly doubt said "dude" got your message.