Do you like your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a Pre-pharm. student and I was just wondering how everyone here who is a pharmacist likes their jobs. Is it really stressful? Do you get good off time? Is it flexible? Worth it? etc.

Members don't see this ad.

i love being a rph, but despise what retail pharmacy has become, i think that is a fair assessment of how most retail pharmacist think

the giving flu shots while doing 400 a day with no extra help really pushed us (meaning the staff at my store) to the edge

Im a Pre-pharm. student and I was just wondering how everyone here who is a pharmacist likes their jobs. Is it really stressful? Do you get good off time? Is it flexible? Worth it? etc.

I'm an intern and I actually like my job, I just don't think I'm paid enough. The only reasons I'm trying to get into a hospital is so I can get the $20+/hr intern/tech pay and so I can get some hospital experience as well. Asides from that, I like what I do at CVS.

I actually don't mind the PCI stuff anymore since it gives me something to do during the downtime. 2 years ago if we had downtime, I'd just sit there with my laptop trying to find an unsecured network to leech internet or do my organic chem homework.

Members don't see this ad :)
...since it gives me something to do during the downtime. 2 years ago if we had downtime, I'd just sit there with my laptop trying to find an unsecured network to leech internet or do my organic chem homework.

I envy your downtime! I dont know what downtime is at my 24 hour CVS! geeze!

nontheless, I like my job there, I like the people I work with, known em for years!

Not sure if Id be able to do it the rest of my life though.

oh yeah imma P4 intern, not a rph

Despite some stressful times and days, yes- I do like it.

I envy your downtime! I dont know what downtime is at my 24 hour CVS! geeze!

nontheless, I like my job there, I like the people I work with, known em for years!

Not sure if Id be able to do it the rest of my life though.

oh yeah imma P4 intern, not a rph

I hate downtime because the time just drags on and on. Now that it's getting busy with Readyfill and the PCI stuff, I walk in at 10AM, eventually find time to order breakfast around 11AM-12PM, keep working, take a 1/2 hour break around 3:30PM to get lunch or go to the car wash, go back, some PCI stuff, and next thing you know it's all over.

Otherwise 2 years ago, we'd finish the 3 pages of refills by 1PM and we'd be twiddling our thumbs.

I love my job. I stopped dreading going to work when I quit retail.

I work from home then travel to cool places with total autonomy and flexibility. Then I get to use my creativity to enhance institutional pharmacy practice.

Yes, I love my job. I didn't always love my previous jobs but those jobs taught me how to do my current job to perfection.

I work from home then travel to cool places with total autonomy and flexibility. Then I get to use my creativity to enhance institutional pharmacy practice.

Yes, I love my job. I didn't always love my previous jobs but those jobs taught me how to do my current job to perfection.

Wow, you and ForgetMeNot both have perfect jobs. I think you both have the best jobs out of everyone else on SDN. :)

eliminate stupid coupons, coupon transfer thingys, and mean customers, and stupid store management and it would be frickin awesome. even with rare to no downtime. but thats what i get for being a retail monkey. which i cant do forever either

I beg to differ...:smuggrin: ;)

I am sure being a nuclear pharmacist rocks as well! I just don't know much about that area. :confused:

I am currently considering mail order, compounding or getting an MBA and doing something with that.

Now that my pharmacy manager absolutely hates ordering from Cardinal, a good portion of my job includes something I love to do the most, DRIVE. They just send me to other stores to pick up items that we are out of stock on, and I don't have to clock out for it :D

Someone told me pharmacists typically work 1 week on 1 week off ( I know it varies) but is this possible/true?

graveyard shift is 1 week on/off

Yea my bad i just searched and found the answer to my previous question...I dunno if id rather work like 80 hours in week and take a week of or just work 40+ hours per week...hmmmm

So far, yeah I'd say I like my job. We don't get slammed like CVS / Walgreens and we usually have enough help. The patients can get annoying after a while, but such is life. After a while, you kind of learn to almost pity them for their stupid outlook on life lol

what do you do exactly?

I am sure being a nuclear pharmacist rocks as well! I just don't know much about that area. :confused:

I am currently considering mail order, compounding or getting an MBA and doing something with that.

hmm...no more drug repping? ;)