Do you manage to get by with your salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Night1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello - so the pay for counseling isnt that high and i do understand that you often do it for the love of the profession over making money - but money is important to maintain a decent lifestyle...

so just wondering how are you guys getting by with your salary.. do you find yourself struggling or having to take on another job to make ends meet..

this stems from my research which indicated the median salary for counseling is in the 30s range

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I do cognitive assessments two days a week and research a single day a week. And I have master's in clinical psych!! I make close to 18,000 so my parents help me out. I live with some international students in a big house.

My father owns a used car dealership (my mom is a homemaker). He makes close to $100,000 a year. So he can afford to help me for the time being. I am looking at my options and I won't settle for a job that pays less than $60,000 a year. With a mortgage, family, loans to payback, etc, that is not a as much money as it seems. I am thinking ahead here of course as I have no mortgage nor a family.

As for your reference to "30s range" median salary, you must be referring to those who are just starting out. Many mid-careers are in the 50s range.