Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do you people actually remember stuff from previous classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jeffosokisk, Jun 5, 2008.

1. jeffosokisk

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ok, I was just wondering...

Most of the time, I would remember the basics, but not the details of the stuff from the classes I previously took.

Even for the class I'm currently taking. Like 1 month ago, we had this test on antibiotics, and it's characteristics...I memorized it for the test..so it was fine. Now, when we have our final, we have to name the organism that is affected by these particular antibiotics. Now...I'm like :scared: because I don't even remember like 2/5 of the drugs!

So my question is do you actually remember stuff if you never repeat it? (like classes that teach stuff that's never going to be on the MCAT)

2. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The best way is to take upper levels that tap on previous knowledge. Biochemistry does a great job of this.

3. gasdf1234567

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Within a few days after a final, I forget almost all the information I learned in the class. I sometimes remember the basics if they are required for multiple classes (i.e. Lewis structures in chemistry). Honestly almost all of what you learn in undergrad is completely useless in the long run, and thats especially true of the sciences. Some of the seminar classes I took may turn out useful by helping with public speaking, and some of the information from psych and econ classes may be useful. Other than that, worthless.

4. bigman225

5+ Year Member

second the biochem thing
    that's really lame that you have to memorize antibiotic specificites in undergraduate.. not very academic

5. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I remember general concepts and certain details pretty well, but if you don't use it you lose it!

6. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some of it...if I really want to..there are a few classes I dont want to remember.

7. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

As long as I learn as I go, I remember most of it. If I try to just cram for tests, it doesn't stick nearly as well. Once the need to pass the test is over, the need to remember is gone if it isn't reused.

8. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took clinical micro at my UG designed for the PharmD's so I can echo the loss of information. Fortunately, I didn't have a final in the class. One, it will be taught again to all the PharmD's in p'cology and two, there was too much information for a final. My point, it does get taught like that at several schools.

9. Twiigg

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Ugh... I wish I remembered everything that I once learned. I am bad at retrieving previously learned information. Considering I am about to take a 2 year break from undergrad, this is not a good thing. I am going to have a LOT of textbook reading to do when I get back! :D

10. bigman225

5+ Year Member

It depends how into the class I was or how hard I studied.
    Because I was so consistent about studying and enjoyed the material, I can remember most of the stuff from the last two terms of Biochemistry. Definitely can't remember ANYTHING from my Economics or Business classes though. That being said, for classes that require TONS of memorization (eg, Organic), its hard to imagine anyone remembering everything for very long. All those different oxidizing agents...

11. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    human memory really isn't that good, man. if you aren't using something you will definitely forget it, especially the details. do you think doctors remember 100% everything they learned in med school once they are 20 years into practice? no friken way. especially if they specialize in really specific areas. your brain will get rid of the old "useless" information and make room for the new, so to speak.

12. bozz

2+ Year Member

OChem and Physics... done... I don't remember anything. Thank god that's all done!

There's no more Ochem in med school right? :hardy:

13. wisconsindoctor

Removed

There is a phrase that goes like this: 50% of the material you wer tought in college was wrong and the other 50% is right. The problem is that we don't know which 50% is right?

Translation: all of the minute information is useles in the long wrong. The skills you develop as a college student (should develope anyways) is what helps in the long run. For example, time management, critical thinking skills, communication, and so forth.

O-chem is a perfect example. The class is basically pointless for a student to take unles they become a scientist develop drugs. Yes we know chemical reactions are the essential of life....we get that. What I'm getting at is the pointless memorization.

14. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't remember very much. Makes studying for the MCAT take longer but it's all good.

15. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Well, there's biochemistry, which uses some Ochem principles, but it's much more interesting (at least to me).

16. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I remember very little of my upper-level physics courses. I didn't know E&M while I was taking it, so that's obviously long gone. Quantum's much the same way. I do remember quite a bit of Astro 1 and 2, though. Need to know how a supernova works? I'm your man!

Organic, genetics, and cell bio are all distant nightmares. I only remember the parts that I had to use in other classes.

17. unsung

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm like this too and it drives me nuts... but I've noticed this is more true of stuff like bio and less true of stuff like physics/chemistry. The problem I have with bio is that so much of it is just pure memorization. Whereas with something like o-chem, there are these underlying general principles (nucleophilicity, resonance/stability, steric interference, etc.) that sort of run through all the different detailed mechanisms. So, I feel like even wks later I've still retained some core stuff from the class- ways of approaching a problem, figuring out a mech that I half remember to a reaction, etc. Same with physics- I don't seem to have problems recalling physics formulas, just because they get used so often, and sometimes they're easy to derive from other things.

There's no way to "derive" an obscure biology fact. And, at least the way I studied biochem, there's real no way of getting around memorizing pathways and intermediates. What annoyed me so much about biochem (vs ochem) is how little predictive power learning one pathway gives toward predicting another pathway.

So yeah, I digress ;) But I agree with the poster above who recommended taking upper level courses that draw upon basic knowledge. Even in studying for the MCAT, I'm finding that I retain bio info much better... I guess it's because I'm called upon to really use the info the *do* something...

18. paradocs we are

paradocs we are In love with you
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No.

There are more important things to remember, such as rules.

19. DoctorDreamer

DoctorDreamer In a far away land...
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't remember little nitpicky details, but I remember a lot of what I learn in classes. It definitely helps if the material is repeated in another class. But I remember the basics and some details of every science class I've ever taken, in physics, biology, chemistry, etc. The same thing for all communication/theatre classes, even the ones I took 7 years ago. I don't do so well with classes like art appreciation and history and american goverment... Maybe because they didn't interest me or challenge me as much.

20. thethethe

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you would forget almost everything you learned from your previous class, but if you tried to relearn it, you would have a much easier time learning it

ie- relearning orgo, physics, gen chem for youre mcat

21. Quadratic

Quadratic Currently not in function
    7+ Year Member

You just started. Why are you taking a break?