Do you play any musical instruments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddstobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you do play musical instruments? If so, how many years? Did you start when you were a kid (i.e. age of 2 - 10)? If you play piano, violin, cello or whatever, does it give you a better chance than those who doesn't? Are you going to mention that in your personal statement? Are you going to bring the instrument(s) (not the piano of course) to your interviews?

I played piano for the past 12 years continuously since I was 8 , I don't think it'll give me a better chance of getting in but it's a good way to show that you have good manual dexterity. I thought about leaving that out and just list that on other portion of the appl. but I thought they will probably pay more attention to your PS than that (other talents or uniqueness) portion of the appl.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I played the saxophone for six years during elementary and junior high school. I didn't mention it in my PS because I had other things that I felt were more important for the adcoms to hear. There is a special section in AADSAS for you to list manual dexterity skills (it specifically mentions musical talent), that's where I listed it. Musical skills in and of themselves don't give you an advantage, per se, but the demonstrated hand skills will be a plus. I'd definately list it on the application. I don't see much of an opportunity to use an instrument at an interview.

How many of you do play musical instruments? If so, how many years? Did you start when you were a kid (i.e. age of 2 - 10)? If you play piano, violin, cello or whatever, does it give you a better chance than those who doesn't? Are you going to mention that in your personal statement? Are you going to bring the instrument(s) (not the piano of course) to your interviews?

i do
many...trumpet, piano, guitar
yes, i was ~8
no
yes
seriously?.....absolutely not

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been playing guitar for 12 years, and yes I did list on on my AADSAS in the manual dexterity portion. However, I have to yet to bring my guitar to a dental interview....haha. Although that would be pretty funny to play a head thrashing metal solo in front of the admissions committee. :laugh:

I didn't bring my guitar, but I did bring an art portfolio with about 8 different paintings, drawings, sketches, pen and inks etc. I think it made a pretty good impression... then again, I could just stick it in my bag and go...didn't take up much space.

Yes, drums.
No, I started playing as a way to release my stress after been in the middle east. AGE 22 so thats 4 yrs on and off.
No i dont think is an advantage of any kind, is just something different.
No in the PS, what for I already mention that on the application.
HAHAHHHAHAHA NOT THE DRUMS M... I wonder what if I did bring a small GONG to the interview :laugh:

I've been playing piano for the past 12 years continuously, I don't think it'll give me a better chance of getting in but it's a good way to show that you have good manual dexterity. I thought about leaving that out and just list that on other portion of the appl. but I thought they will probably pay more attention to your PS than that (other talents or uniqueness) portion of the appl.

I'm wondering if it would be weird if you camcorded your performance and then bring your recorder with you during the interview. Does it sound abnormal?

Played percussion all throughout highschool on drumline, and also played set. I don't play physical instruments anymore after college, but I do create music via Logic Express/Cubase audio production software.

Bring one of those vintage World War II Martin bowback guitars to your interview. Pretty portable, and the thing just screams coolness.

Play piano, so I mentioned that under "manual dexterity" in AADSAS, but didn't make a big huff about it in my PS. Anyway, on a lighter note, what about Guitar Hero haha, does that count as manual dexterity practice (on expert :p)??

Played bass guitar off and on for four years. Started in 9th grade.
Finally sold it too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I play saxophone, guitar and the turntables

wikka wikka :cool:

I play Guitar Hero and Rock Band, which means I can play the guitar, bass, and drums. Oh, I can sing, too.

I play the String Bass, and I won't be putting that on my application. Even if I did, I don't think it would be in my best interest bringing a 7 foot tall violin to an interview.

Yes, drums.
No, I started playing as a way to release my stress after been in the middle east. AGE 22 so thats 4 yrs on and off.
No i dont think is an advantage of any kind, is just something different.
No in the PS, what for I already mention that on the application.
HAHAHHHAHAHA NOT THE DRUMS M... I wonder what if I did bring a small GONG to the interview :laugh:
I like your small GONG idea, LOL~~~ That's hot!

Guitar, Bass, banjo, mandolin

been playing guitar for 13 years, taught guitar and bass lesssons for 2. I've done studio recording on 3 cds...this was a good talking point during the interviews.

Piano, recorder and harmonica!

I didn't play piano for that long though. Been playing recorder and harmonica since I was a kid.

onemanband.jpg

i taught this guy everything he knows...:cool:

I play triangle. The adcoms ate it up. :p

Seriously, I've played trumpet since fifth grade and spent six years playing in my state's National Guard band. I also compose for fun, play a little bit of guitar, a very little bit of piano, and I can beat anyone here at Guitar Hero. ;)

It won't get you in by itself, but a musical or otherwise artistic background is nice way to show some extra depth to yourself and your abilities.

I play Guitar Hero and Rock Band, which means I can play the guitar, bass, and drums. Oh, I can sing, too.

Hahaha! Imagine under manual dexterity

"Guitar hero"

I don't think the people interviewing/reviewing take it seriously.
I remember listening to a rep from uni of Michigan talk about someone putting "Guitar hero" on their application, and she turned it into a joke (along with rolling her eyes -- I didn't find her too friendly anyhow).
:laugh:

I played the violin for 12 years and the electric bass for about 7 which I did put on my application. I actually think it helped me out because the guy who interviewed me at UMDNJ was the head of the student-faculty band and said they needed a bass player. So who knows when stuff like this comes in handy!

I can beat anyone here at Guitar Hero. ;)
quote]

I'll take ya up on that lol:p.

Also, in regards to Jigabodo's mastery of the recorder.........I just found mine a few weeks ago in the back corner of my closet, I used to play wayyy back, but "lost" it when we moved. Just wiped it down with a Clorox wipe so its all ready to go.....still makes a pretty noise haha

I played the piano for over 10 years. I didn't talk about this in my application at all but I did mention it during my interviews.

Hahaha! Imagine under manual dexterity

"Guitar hero"

I don't think the people interviewing/reviewing take it seriously.
I remember listening to a rep from uni of Michigan talk about someone putting "Guitar hero" on their application, and she turned it into a joke (along with rolling her eyes -- I didn't find her too friendly anyhow).
:laugh:

Hahaha. I understand our career choice requires professionalism, but it would be great if they appreciated a little humor. =P

Bring one of those vintage World War II Martin bowback guitars to your interview. Pretty portable, and the thing just screams coolness.

Make sure you've insured it for at least $100K before taking it on the plane, though.

Really, though, for coolness, you should just pop out the ol 1960 Les Paul standard. Fat PAF's and flames hot enough to burn.

I have been playing violin for 22 years...I hope it helps me some with getting into dental school so at least all the time and money I invested into it was not a complete waste...

I played trumpet for two years in middle school, and electric bass since 11th grade. I mess around with the keyboard sometimes too (I sure hope this helps the application when it's my time) :rolleyes:.

I've been playing piano for over 14 years! I'm sure it gives you some positives points on your application. So I think it's just a plus and I don't think not playing any musical instruments would keep you from getting into dental schools! lol

I majored in music, and in one of my interviews (Penn) we didn't really talk about anything but music. And trying to describe what a bassoon looks and sounds like is a great way to lighten things up in an interview! :)

I played the piano for 15 years!

I'm 22, and been playing the piano since 4, so 18 years

Thanks for all your inputs but could someone please answer my question...

"I'm wondering if it would be weird if you camcorded your performance and then bring your recorder with you during the interview. Does it sound abnormal?" :confused:

"I'm wondering if it would be weird if you camcorded your performance and then bring your recorder with you during the interview. Does it sound abnormal?" :confused:

To me! Indeed!!! :) I've never seen or heard anyone do that before. I think if you just mention it in your ps. and application, it would be good enough!!!

You're applying to dental school, not Juilliard.

I would have looked really stupid if I had brought my tuba to the interview! I have been playing since I was a young ol' lad....and it really did not even phase the admission committees that I was at the Manhattan School of Music for a while.

It is good to mention that you are a musician to show them that you are somewhat well rounded, but by no means should it be the main focus of your interview unless the admissions committees choose to make it the main discussion.

I would hate to break it to ya', but there are a lot of people who play that are in dental school...you need to bring something else to the table!

thanks for the advice. But when I talked to my university d-school advisor, he asked me to bring some paintings or drawings to the interview then I told him that I didn't have any...that's why I ask you guys about bringing a camcorder. I know it sounds a little weird and that why I use the word "abnormal".

Just make sure you tune your songflute before you start taping. :p

The only recording you should provide to schools is if your record sounded like his :

williamhung.jpg

I broght this video of me to my interview. They really thought I was great!
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1krkgvwHbo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I broght this video of me to my interview. They really thought I was great!
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1krkgvwHbo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
are you serious?

You're applying to dental school, not Juilliard.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: although if you went to Juilliard pre-college during your HS years, it might be a plus! I certainly mentioned my pre-college experience, playing the violin and all. Being a violin teacher doesn't sound bad to them either, i guess. good luck!

I graduated with a bachelor of arts in music. I've been playing guitar for 9 years; four years in a jazz combo. I also played the cello for 10 years and taught myself the piano. I currently teach private lessons in rock and jazz guitar. My question is, would it be a bad idea to make my musical experience one of the focal points of the PS? Thanks.

I graduated with a bachelor of arts in music. I've been playing guitar for 9 years; four years in a jazz combo. I also played the cello for 10 years and taught myself the piano. I currently teach private lessons in rock and jazz guitar. My question is, would it be a bad idea to make my musical experience one of the focal points of the PS? Thanks.

It is absolutely beneficial to mention it in your PS. But I would not make it the main point of the PS! Bottom line you being a musician is not going to get you into dental schools...it will certainly be a plus! I've been playing piano for over 14 yrs and I only wrote a sentence about it in my PS and that's about it! I think you should focus more on academic achievements, community hours, and your desires and passion about dentisty of course!!!

It is absolutely beneficial to mention it in your PS. But I would not make it the main point of the PS! Bottom line you being a musician is not going to get you into dental schools...it will certainly be a plus! I've been playing piano for over 14 yrs and I only wrote a sentence about it in my PS and that's about it! I think you should focus more on academic achievements, community hours, and your desires and passion about dentisty of course!!!
...in other words, you think someone should spend their personal statement--the one chance their application gives them to distinguish themselves from the pile--rehashing stuff that can be read in the rest of the application?

damon96al said:
My question is, would it be a bad idea to make my musical experience one of the focal points of the PS? Thanks.
I think that's a perfectly good idea. The PS is an opportunity to let yourself--the person, not the collection of academic paperwork--shine through, and writing about something that matters to you personally is a great way to make that happen.