Do You Read in Your Head When You Study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unlimited415

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how others read.

Do you hear your voice saying what you're reading in your head?
Or do you just take it in visually and it stores fine.

I have to say it in my head in order to analyze it. I feel like it takes me forever to do my reading because of it.

For those of you who just look at it, do you analyze as well while you're scanning the words? Or do you finish a section then pause and analyze.

How do these methods work for you? Do you consider yourself strong students?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how others read.

Do you hear your voice saying what you're reading in your head?
Or do you just take it in visually and it stores fine.

I have to say it in my head in order to analyze it. I feel like it takes me forever to do my reading because of it.

For those of you who just look at it, do you analyze as well while you're scanning the words? Or do you finish a section then pause and analyze.

How do these methods work for you? Do you consider yourself strong students?

Most people do that whether they realize it or not. It's just part of language and cognition.

Most people do that whether they realize it or not. It's just part of language and cognition.

Language is NOT part of thought.It's a physical manifestation of, and as such is not required to read or comprehend something.

I find that I might say the words to myself if the material is 1>over my head 2> not interesting. In either case, I never can get into a pace that allows me to read quickly.

OP,I am a strong student and my method is to read everything quickly like I usually do. I then quiz myself over the information I read, and where I'm lacking I reread- SLOWLY, ANALYZING if I missed information because I didn't fully understand it.

But no, I don't say the words outloud in my head usually. I read 'chunks' for lack of a better word and just see sections as general thoughts that I put together.