do you really love yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andie gustafson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the selfesteem issue in med students cause if you love yourself you should take care of your body (needs and functions) and when I see the only way to learn and live in med school is to literally stop sleeping. Not to have time to eat anything decent and not to have fun and sacrifce your social life I get depressed, how is that even possible? love for medicine? what about love and care for oneself? isn't it important? I'm feeling fatalist cause I don't really see any self nuturing way to study medicine and I would like to quit! I still haven't found a nice way to study medicine, has anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

med school is indeed a hellish nightmare right now i'm running on 4 hours of sleep spread out over the last 96 hours and i feel so awful that i can't even finish this big mac i bought.

I've been thinking about the selfesteem issue in med students cause if you love yourself you should take care of your body (needs and functions) and when I see the only way to learn and live in med school is to literally stop sleeping. Not to have time to eat anything decent and not to have fun and sacrifce your social life I get depressed, how is that even possible? love for medicine? what about love and care for oneself? isn't it important? I'm feeling fatalist cause I don't really see any self nuturing way to study medicine and I would like to quit! I still haven't found a nice way to study medicine, has anyone?
I think you might be suffering from overstudying. I've found that if I study focused for a certain amount of time, then take plenty of breaks and sleep a lot, I can easily get by without feeling like I'm killing myself.

Sure, the day before tests are different, but that's only 1/4 of the time. Try it out! Get good rest, eat right (no big macs), study in a focused manner, and see how your grades do.

Members don't see this ad :)
get off websites like this, stop watching tv, and stop playing video games

I think you're being narcissistic.

Arguably, you need to love yourself before you can love others.

But, sacrifice means giving up a part of yourself. This is an extreme example but if your mother jumps in front of you before an oncoming car/train/bullet, does she hate herself?

Obviously studying medicine doesn't have the immediate health drawbacks of getting runover/shot nor the immediate payback of protecting a loved one. But sacrifices are really only a reflection of self-hate if the sacrifices aren't necessary.

Literally?

If you are in 1st or 2nd year there is no excuse for not getting enough sleep.

get off websites like this, stop watching tv, and stop playing video games

I dont know about stopping TV, but i agree with taking a vacation from SDN.
You'll feel better for it.

Keep experimenting with study methods until you find one which will enable you to process the information much more rapidly. It didn't take me long to realize that fast and long term information processing is the key to a life outside of Medical school.

These are the threads which make me incredibly nervous to start...

there are only four months of medical school that really suck hour wise: your medicine and surgery rotation during third year. I don't know why some people complain so much.

Keep experimenting with study methods until you find one which will enable you to process the information much more rapidly. It didn't take me long to realize that fast and long term information processing is the key to a life outside of Medical school.

These are the threads which make me incredibly nervous to start...

Black Surgeon is right in that one has to find a study method that works. For me, it was tailoring my study for my 50-minute attention span. I would set a kitchen timer for 50 minutes, study and then take a 10-minute break (completely away from my study materials). If something was bothering me, I would write it on a piece of paper and think about it on my 10-minute break. After 10 minutes, I would come back and be ready to concentrate once more.

I would schedule my study sessions complete with what I was studying and check off as I completed things. Seeing those check marks gave me a sense of accomplishment. I also kept ahead of the class as getting behind can be deadly in medical school. If you get behind, go to where the class is and catch up on the weekend.

I never went into a lecture or class cold. I was always prepared and had reviewed the syllabus/text (bold headings would do). That way, I had the "big" picture and could listen for what wasn't in the syllabus/text. If all my work was done for the week, I rewarded myself on the weekend (usually a Saturday). I also used one morning of the weekend to review the previous weeks work so that I was up to pace on Monday morning.

Give yourself some time to adjust to the pace. Also, what got you into medical school will get you through with a bit of adjusting. It's regular study rather than the last-minute cram that will work best.

read " 7 habits of highly effective people"

Its one of the best books out there and worth time reading.

there are only four months of medical school that really suck hour wise: your medicine and surgery rotation during third year. I don't know why some people complain so much.

Can you ellaborate on that? Are you having to go to the hospital during the day and study at night (for all rotoations)? I understand that for surgery you have to be there at some ridiculous hour.

I just have no concept of life as a third year.:confused:

I never went into a lecture or class cold.

you never went in to a class or lecture cold; I never went to a class or lecture period.

it all sucks hourwise.