Do you still have instate status if ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guptaso2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you lose instate status if you leave your home state to get a master's degree out of state and then apply to medschool in your home state afterwards?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you lose instate status if you leave your home state to get a master's degree out of state and then apply to medschool in your home state afterwards?

check with the institution, they all have their own procedures for these things... it depends on your age, whether your parents have moved, tax returns, blah blah... it's confusing, but they should list it on their websites

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on a lot of factors... i.e. where is your car registered? Where are you registered to vote? have you actually voted there yet? Where do you have a drivers license? Do your parents declare you as a dependent on their tax returns? Have you paid any state income tax in the state of question? Are you married, and if so where is your spouse a resident?

As somebody who purposely became a virginia resident from maryland, I can tell you it's a lot of work to try to prove to a state that you're a resident there. In virginia, you have to do all of the above a year in advance of matriculation at a school to be considered in-state.

I have a friend from high school (we are both from maryland, went to high school in maryland) who went to Stanford undergrad. He is taking a year off like I am to apply to med schools and applied to the university of maryland who rejected him in-state status based on the fact that he has a car registered in california. Other than the car, everything else is in maryland, so go figure. He also didn't get sonsidered in-state for california, so he is stateless. Not a good place to be!

If you only left to get ur masters, but didnt change anything except where you live, then you're still considered in-state where your parents reside (assuming that you're still under their care). Its like going off to college. I went off to college in Massachusetts, now in Cincinnati for my masters but am still a NJ resident- I havn't registered to vote, changed my plates. To officially change your in-state status you'll have to most likely go to court or city hall and file for in-state residency. If you havn't done that (and assuming that you didnt get married to someone who moved to another state - some states like Ohio would then automatically consider you, or allow you to file for in-state residency immediately if that were the case), then you're still in-stater for your original home state.

as i have been accepted to school i have very quickly learned that in the world of universities there is no true deffinition of what it means to be a resident. the schools themselves set the guidlines. perfect example, MSU and Univ of Michigan have vastly different guidlines yet are both in MI. At MSU its easy to become a resident. @ UM ur screwed.

If you only left to get ur masters, but didnt change anything except where you live, then you're still considered in-state where your parents reside (assuming that you're still under their care). Its like going off to college. I went off to college in Massachusetts, now in Cincinnati for my masters but am still a NJ resident- I havn't registered to vote, changed my plates. To officially change your in-state status you'll have to most likely go to court or city hall and file for in-state residency. If you havn't done that (and assuming that you didnt get married to someone who moved to another state - some states like Ohio would then automatically consider you, or allow you to file for in-state residency immediately if that were the case), then you're still in-stater for your original home state.

unfortunately, there is no simple definitive way to become a resident of a state like going to the courthouse and filing paperwork; there's no single sheet of paper that can verify your residency. It's always a matter of having the college/university look through documentation that they consider important and deciding from there. Difficult process