Do you take work home?

Started by jmd13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jmd13

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a question for all the current PTs out there. I am curious, do you ever have to take your work home? I would definitely like to leave all of my work at the office and have a separate home life, but I am wondering how plausible this dream is.
 
I've worked in SNF, Acute Rehab, Rehab hospital, and Outpatient. I've never once brought anything home. I might have stayed late a few times, but never brought anything home.
 
Use the search function. This question has been asked before and quite recently. You may find more answers that way.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm student as of now, but I don't think I would mind taking some work home with me, I love to do outside research anyway. My expectation is to take some work home with me during my first job, I've always done that anyway, until I felt more comfortable with the job in general.

The best rule of thumb (I'm conjecturing) is still take time to relax, make dinner, take care of what needs taken care of at home, etc, before doing an hour or two of extra work outside of work hours. It's important to take time for yourself and still have a life outside of work (I'm assuming that's part of what you're looking for).

There's an excellent book for new practitioners to the "helping field," it's called the Resilient Practitioner, I believe. It talks about taking care of yourself and doing whatever IT is to maintain balance in your life. Don't know if it will help, but hope you find the answer you're looking for in any case!
 
You really shouldn't be taking any documentation home, as it likely contains protected health information nad should remain in the clinic under lock and key.

I rarely have any work to do at home other than the occasional power point presentation, emails to return, etc.
 
I occasionally write Evaluations from home as we use WebPT EMR documentation. Does it stink to take things home? Yes. But, when I have been at work for 9 hours and need to let my dog out, is it that bad? No.
 
I occasionally write Evaluations from home as we use WebPT EMR documentation. Does it stink to take things home? Yes. But, when I have been at work for 9 hours and need to let my dog out, is it that bad? No.

Haha.