Do you think i can get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burpalicious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have a situation... I'm a junior in the 7 year dental program at NYU (3 years undergrad, 4 yrs grad. get BA after 1 year of dental grad). I really want to apply somewhere else like Harvard, UPenn, and other schools out of NYC (I was born and grew up here so I've been here my whole life and I want to experience something new). In order for me to do that, I need to drop out of the dental program, finish my undergrad and then apply. But it is a risk since I'm practically admitted to NYU dental. So I want to know what you guys think. Should I stick to NYU dental school or should I try somewhere else? Are my stats enough for Harvard, UPenn, or Stony Brooke?

My gpa=3.739
DAT=23AA/25PA/23TS
EC=none so far but will get a shadowing position with local dentist.

If you guys have any suggestions on what other schools I can apply please do make them.

Members don't see this ad.

your best best is to talk to a dean of admissions or associate dean or similar authoritative rep when a school you're interested in visits NYU, find out what they think. You're talking about dropping out of a program just to apply somewhere else, that's a really big deal and you're better off getting feedback from the people that matter. You clearly have great stats, so that's not a problem. I'd recommend really doing some research on it first, find out what you actually want to do. Harvard is fantastic for example if you want to be a d school professor one day, but as a daily grind dentist that's a whole lot of cheddar for a degree no one sees or cares about the moment you graduate. If you're even considering them it sounds like academia is your main interest.

you definitely have the stats to get into those type of schools :thumbup: