Do you think these courses count for the BCPM GPA? Please help! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovepediatrics

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if the below courses could count for my BCPM GPA.

I took Physical Anthropology (aka Biological Anthropology), which has the ANT designation, but it was mostly biology content.

Also, I had 2 research courses. One was research in a physiology department (PSL designation) and the other research was in a hospital (clinical research) (but with HON designation as it was an honors course..performing clinical research in the emergency department). I received a letter grade for both courses.

I'm currently taking a research course, but in the Nutrition Department. It would have a NFS designation with a letter grade. Does this course count too? Which research courses count?

Next, I am interested in taking Forensic Anthropology.. The course description says that topics in the course include: toxicology, forensic pathology, ballistics, analysis of the human skeleton, fingerprints, etc

Finally, another course I had some interest in was in the Mortuary Science field. Do you know if courses in this field even count for one's BCPM? The course is just called Chemistry and this is what is said in the course description:

Application of general inorganic, organic and biochemistry to postmortem changes, biologic preservation, and embalming chemistry.

Please let me know if you think these courses can be defined as BCPM. Also, if you could let me know what you think about the mortuary science program and if courses count for BCPM, that would be great. I'm actually pretty interested in that program and if I can help my BCPM GPA, that'd be awesome :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Physical Anthropology - yes for DO; doubtful-maybe for MD (you can always try)

Forensic Anthropology.. - very unlikely imo.... sounds fun though!

Mortuary Science field - Though it sounds like it MIGHT meet the >50% BCMP content threshold, I think it's going to be a hard sell! You'll probably find yourself the wrong way on a dead-end street with this one. :)

"Also, if you could let me know what you think about the mortuary science program" - sounds unearthy...+pity+

If you do well put them all down as BCPM. Worst that happens is it gets switched.

Members don't see this ad :)
put them all down for BCPM.

Let's just see what happens.

It depends. Anything with Anthro will be an automatic No i believe. That last one is iffy.

Not to jack your thread OP, but I took a class that's taught by the Biology Dept, but didn't really have any Biology in it. It was a class focusing on biological weaponry. We learned about certain biological agents, but it was more about different procedures and agencies. Anyone think even though it's labeled as Bio 1225, I could classify it as non-BCPM?

Not to jack your thread OP, but I took a class that's taught by the Biology Dept, but didn't really have any Biology in it. It was a class focusing on biological weaponry. We learned about certain biological agents, but it was more about different procedures and agencies. Anyone think even though it's labeled as Bio 1225, I could classify it as non-BCPM?

lol no problem..ur the first one to ever do that to me on SDN so congrats! haha

as for your course, do you want to classify it as non-BCPM cuz u didnt do well in it? im pretty sure since its labeled "BIO" it would be considered part of the BCPM. u could classify it as non-bcpm and if they change it to BCPM, u can let them know abt the course description and how it shouldnt be considered BCPM...u may wanna get some additional input though haha

lol no problem..ur the first one to ever do that to me on SDN so congrats! haha

as for your course, do you want to classify it as non-BCPM cuz u didnt do well in it? im pretty sure since its labeled "BIO" it would be considered part of the BCPM. u could classify it as non-bcpm and if they change it to BCPM, u can let them know abt the course description and how it shouldnt be considered BCPM...u may wanna get some additional input though haha
First to steal your thread? Yes! But to answer your question, I made a B in the class. I just think it really shouldn't be classified as Bio. It was really about response protocol and if I would have known that, I definitely wouldn't have taken it.