Do you think USMLE Step 2 will go P/F anytime soon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applesauce14

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have narrowed down my acceptances to two schools. One program follows the standard 2-4-2, meaning that I would take Step 2 in about 7 years from now. The other program has more of a non-traditional pathway because MSTP students take Step 1 and Step 2 before the PhD phase. I would much rather take Step 2 if it is P/F, so do you think there is any chance of that happening in the next 7ish years? I am worried that if I choose the program with the non standard structure, then I will have to take Step 2 while it is graded, while other MSTPs around the country would take it later down the line when it becomes P/F. Any thoughts or insights would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think it will happen any time soon. The trend was toward step 2 scores mattering more for residency decisions even before step 1 went P/F.

At the non-traditional program would you still take step 2 after clerkships? The test isn't that bad if you've already spent a year studying the material for shelf exams. That program might actually offer an advantage in that you have more time to figure out what you're competitive for with your score in hand.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be surprised if Step 2 became P/F, but then again, I was surprised that Step 1 became P/F so what do I know. That being said, if Step 2 does become P/F and you are applying with a numerical Step 2 score, depending on the score, I think that could actually give you an advantage. Surveys of residency PDs generally show that they like having numerical Step 1/2 scores because it is the only objective way to compare applicants.