Do you think your odds for acceptance better pre-interview or post-interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What up doc

FLASH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though I'm sure most would prefer the odds of acceptance post interview, it is worthwhile to consider if such is actually the case. I would think that after being selected for an interview you have been chosen as a small perecentage of inviduals considered very competitve for admission. To now shine amongst this select few, I would think, would be more difficult than to shine amid the entire applicant pool, which includes those who may be not competitive at all. Therefore, it would seem that increased post-interview acceptance percentage (e.g. 20% admitted postinterview vs. 10% being invited for interview) would be diminished by this very fact. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Though I'm sure most would prefer the odds of acceptance post interview, it is worthwhile to consider if such is actually the case. I would think that after being selected for an interview you have been chosen as a small perecentage of inviduals considered very competitve for admission. To now shine amongst this select few, I would think, would be more difficult than to shine amid the entire applicant pool, which includes those who may be not competitive at all. Therefore, it would seem that increased post-interview acceptance percentage (e.g. 20% admitted postinterview vs. 10% being invited for interview) would be diminished by this very fact. Any thoughts?

You don't realize how stupid this is do you?

Members don't see this ad :)
aww lets not be mean.. he does bring an interesting idea to the table.. but either way, it doesnt matter bc there is no way to get an acceptance pre interview anyway..

aww lets not be mean.. he does bring an interesting idea to the table.. but either way, it doesnt matter bc there is no way to get an acceptance pre interview anyway..

The overall odds of acceptance are the same. You have to be in the top 200-300 applicants no matter what.

Whatever dude, dont let the losers bring you down. Granted just because you were selected for an interview doesnt mean an acceptance, but surely you beat out the other applicants and you should chalk that up as a win.

I think he is asking is it easier to get an interview post-secondary or is it easier to get an acceptance post-interview...

You don't realize how stupid this is do you?

lol...d-bag.

im bored and im cramming for a test on tuesday. go kick rocks.

anyway, i still think its an interesting, if not neuroticism-mollifying question. :p

I don't know what is being asked here... from the title I thought, "So, do I consider myself more apt to be accepted (in my mind, at that respective time of the application process) pre-interview or post-interview"?

But, then I read the body of the post and became completely lost. Perhaps it is a difficult idea to express. I sure had a hard time doing so. :laugh:

I think he is asking is it easier to get an interview post-secondary or is it easier to get an acceptance post-interview...

exactly. thanku. percentages don't tell the whole story. just because there is a higher percentage given acceptances doesn't mean it is EASIER to get an acceptance. the field is much, much more competitive. there was something the adcoms liked about all those whom they invite for interview. obviously there is no right or wrong answer. but i thot itd be interesting to hear ppls thots. jeez, off my nutts lurking d-bagers abound!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever dude, dont let the losers bring you down. Granted just because you were selected for an interview doesnt mean an acceptance, but surely you beat out the other applicants and you should chalk that up as a win.

hehe thanks man. but i didnt intend this to be a question for myself persoanaly. i just meant for nebody. but im having trouble how my title or phasing miscontrues the idea that question is about myself (like a *what are my chances* kinda question). it is totally not.

in any event, i aint trippin. :rolleyes:

Post interview for sure, but it varies. I mean, sometimes you just don't click with an interviewer and you're done. In the end, getting an interview is a bit of a crap shoot, and so is getting an acceptance. Your dream school acceptance is a mixture of talent, resume, charisma, and LUCK.

hehe thanks man. but i didnt intend this to be a question for myself persoanaly. i just meant for nebody. but im having trouble how my title or phasing miscontrues the idea that question is about myself (like a *what are my chances* kinda question). it is totally not.

in any event, i aint trippin. :rolleyes:

and for instance, arent there some schools that you felt pretty confident about getting an interview, but didnt feel as confident about getting an acceptance post interview? didnt you feel this way despite the fact that just about EVERY school has a greater acceptance rate for those invited for an interview (invited for interview/accepted post interview * 100) than for those screened to interview (submitted primary/invited for interview * 100)?

and for instance, arent there some schools that you felt pretty confident about getting an interview, but didnt feel as confident about getting an acceptance post interview? didnt you feel this way despite the fact that just about EVERY school has a greater acceptance rate for those invited for an interview (invited for interview/accepted post interview * 100) than for those screened to interview (submitted primary/invited for interview * 100)?

Just following this thread is making me dumber. Thanks.

Maybe the question should be, do I feel am I a better candidate on paper or in person?

If I were better on paper than in person, then I'd be more likely to be accepted post-interview invitation/pre-interview than post-interview.

If I were better in person than on paper, then my odds would improve post-interview... I'd be more likely to be accepted post-interview than post-interview invitation, pre-interview.

Just following this thread is making me dumber. Thanks.

lol, r u sure that is possible? i dont think an iq can go below 0...lol..

s t o p f o l l o w i n g t h e n d - b a g. :laugh:

Maybe the question should be, do I feel am I a better candidate on paper or in person?

If I were better on paper than in person, then I'd be more likely to be accepted post-interview invitation/pre-interview than post-interview.

If I were better in person than on paper, then my odds would improve post-interview... I'd be more likely to be accepted post-interview than post-interview invitation, pre-interview.

that assumes that after ur interview that ur admission is dependant heavily, if not solely on your interview. but adcoms on here have said that the interview at some schools is only a part of the puzzle; and that it doesnt make or break you.

OP, I'll give you my opinion since there is a lack of them in here (or at least those answering your question).

I think you have a better chance of acceptance post-interview than getting an interview post-secondary. Many schools send secondaries out if you meet minimum requirements. This is done because secondaries create a nice revenue for the school. They aren't making "bank" but its a nice way to defray interviewing costs that the school accumulates: food, goodies, tourguides and interviewers (possibly), along with processing costs.

Many applicants get secondaries. So, regardless of grades, people will send them in unless they face the cutoff. Pre-interview you are up against extremely competitive applicants so if you lack the credentials its going to be harder to get that coveted interview.

Now, when you get to the interview you have a better chance of acceptance. An interview doesn't put everyone at the same level, but you were able to get past the initial competition. Its going to be extremely competitive still, but you have in your favor that you are at the interview. So, you can "wow" the interviewers and win them over.

I don't know how to address the fact that still only maybe a 1/3 of interviewees get in. The other 2/3 more than likely aren't tools. So, why do they get rejected? For some of them it has to be credentials, but for others I don't know.

Clicking on and reading a thread is voluntary. However, razzing users in thread isn't. Therefore, stop razzing each other and contribute, or read, or don't even click.

Razzing users isn't voluntary? Oh man, the dumb is contagious in here.

Razzing users isn't voluntary? Oh man, the dumb is contagious in here.

lol..dude ur the worst. i hope your status remains "premed." that way, you can continue to decrease your intelligent by "razzing" neurotic-premeds on an anonymous online forum.

lol..dude ur the worst. i hope your status remains "premed." that way, you can continue to decrease your intelligent by "razzing" neurotic-premeds on an anonymous online forum.

Well I've already been accepted. But I had an interesting topic for discussion as well. Do you think you have a better chance of being accepted after you've been accepted or before? Any thoughts?

Well I've already been accepted. But I had an interesting topic for discussion as well. Do you think you have a better chance of being accepted after you've been accepted or before? Any thoughts?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh:

haha...i thought he was a troll...and he ruined my question! lol...still would be interested in opinions...

funny...your mdapps is equally laughable :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually, the question is not as whack as it seems after some thought. Each med school has some degree of uniqueness, otherwise, they would all have the same list of acceptable applicants (especially the private schools). There is the concept of prospective students and med schools being the right "fit" for one another. If one gets an interview offer, then that person must be considered a likely fit for whatever that particular school is looking for. If the interview confirms that connection, then acceptance is likely at many schools. Look at the ratio of interviews to acceptances to gauge your chances at various schools. It can range from 32% at GWU for OOS applicants to 63% at TJMC for OOS applicants. The instate acceptance rates tend to be even higher.