You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Do you use viceyl deep wounds with existing open ulceration
Started by air bud
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I guess I am a TFP because I still don't close deep layer for wounds
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sendin_Toes_2market
Full Member
I do 3-0 vicryl and 3-0 nylon for any wound closure unless it’s an abscess that’s not a delayed closures. The I do 2 deep prolene vertical mattress and 3 simples just to re approximately for those(really big abcess that I had to clean out a lot). If I am worried about infection why do I close it? I also only do 1 or 2 vicryl just to re approximate it. Even on clean amputation I am barely closing it. Yet to have a hematoma or seroma. I do get them from other providers when I am on call…
I’m a bare minimum guy for wound cases.
I’m a bare minimum guy for wound cases.
There's nothing left to close when I'm done.
Hear me out:
Aggressive mattress sutures with 2-0 prolene to evert the hell out of the wound margins
Then staple closure to approximate the epidermis
Ruthless. Effective. Layered.
Aggressive mattress sutures with 2-0 prolene to evert the hell out of the wound margins
Then staple closure to approximate the epidermis
Ruthless. Effective. Layered.
2-0 or 3-0 vicryl depending on depth/size/tension on the incision or wound and then same either 2-0 or 3-0 nylon for skin and I’ll do staples between these for really large incisions like TMA. Evert the hell out of it and tie those knots tight to eliminate dead space and give it the best chance not to dehisce when they inevitably walk on it. I’ve never had any issues with tying knots tight and strangulating tissue leading to necrosis.
I have had a few people spit the vicryl sutures in wound/infection cases but never had it become a real issue all of them have either just healed back over it or I just cut them out and do wound care for a bit and it heals.
I have had a few people spit the vicryl sutures in wound/infection cases but never had it become a real issue all of them have either just healed back over it or I just cut them out and do wound care for a bit and it heals.
I've stopped doing horizontals. I may do them to avert it and then I'll pop those and replace with simples. I also will do simples and then fill gaps with Staples. I used to get incision problems on elective stuff because I was over tightening horizontals and once I stopped and went to all symbols no more incision problems. Verticals I do ok with. Horizontal always see problems
It's funny training surgical assists on foot and ankle stuff.... You'll see them use some pickups and grab that tissue and it's like bro this isn't a g*d damn abdomen. You respect the hell out of that soft tissue You look at it wrong it will dehis.
Also 3-0 prolene PS2 is the greatest suture out there for foot ankle
It's funny training surgical assists on foot and ankle stuff.... You'll see them use some pickups and grab that tissue and it's like bro this isn't a g*d damn abdomen. You respect the hell out of that soft tissue You look at it wrong it will dehis.
Also 3-0 prolene PS2 is the greatest suture out there for foot ankle
I use 2-0 or 3-0 PDS for deep closure in infection/amp cases. It's a monofilament but it's stronger and longer absorption time so it's less reactive compared to vicryl.
Skin is closure with 2-0, 3-0, or 4-0 prolene depending on where I am on the foot/ankle.
Skin is closure with 2-0, 3-0, or 4-0 prolene depending on where I am on the foot/ankle.
There was a thread about vicryl roughly 12 years ago... locking.
Im moreI've stopped doing horizontals. I may do them to avert it and then I'll pop those and replace with simples. I also will do simples and then fill gaps with Staples. I used to get incision problems on elective stuff because I was over tightening horizontals and once I stopped and went to all symbols no more incision problems. Verticals I do ok with. Horizontal always see problems
It's funny training surgical assists on foot and ankle stuff.... You'll see them use some pickups and grab that tissue and it's like bro this isn't a g*d damn abdomen. You respect the hell out of that soft tissue You look at it wrong it will dehis.
Also 3-0 prolene PS2 is the greatest suture out there for foot ankle
Of a Nylon guy myself
Woah woah woah.
So this question started with me stating to airbud that I am trying to back off from keller arthroplasties for plantar hallux ulcers due to problems with dehiscence.
He asked why I was getting so much dehiscence. I said neuropathy with increased ROM of the 1st MPJ and I think because I am not doing deep vicryl closure with open plantar hallux wounds.
He subsequently referred to me as a TFP. "I close an infected wound just like I close a regular wound" meaning he does vicryl in an infected wound then skin closure.
I then pointed out literature says no vicryl in contaminated/infected wounds (which I then pointed out following evidence based medicine actually makes me actually anti-TFP).
He then started this biased worded poll. I demand a recount/repoll!
................
And before anyone asks if I am doing a keller its because the wound is pretty bad. Not for a wagner 1. Patient is facing amputation without intervention.
Delayed primary closure - after at least 2 debridement's, packing open/dressing changes, IV antibiotics, I do use deep closure but not vicryl.
So this question started with me stating to airbud that I am trying to back off from keller arthroplasties for plantar hallux ulcers due to problems with dehiscence.
He asked why I was getting so much dehiscence. I said neuropathy with increased ROM of the 1st MPJ and I think because I am not doing deep vicryl closure with open plantar hallux wounds.
He subsequently referred to me as a TFP. "I close an infected wound just like I close a regular wound" meaning he does vicryl in an infected wound then skin closure.
I then pointed out literature says no vicryl in contaminated/infected wounds (which I then pointed out following evidence based medicine actually makes me actually anti-TFP).
He then started this biased worded poll. I demand a recount/repoll!
................
And before anyone asks if I am doing a keller its because the wound is pretty bad. Not for a wagner 1. Patient is facing amputation without intervention.
Delayed primary closure - after at least 2 debridement's, packing open/dressing changes, IV antibiotics, I do use deep closure but not vicryl.
DPC after two debridements for a mtpj wound how mad are the hospitalists with those 2-3 week staysWoah woah woah.
So this question started with me stating to airbud that I am trying to back off from keller arthroplasties for plantar hallux ulcers due to problems with dehiscence.
He asked why I was getting so much dehiscence. I said neuropathy with increased ROM of the 1st MPJ and I think because I am not doing deep vicryl closure with open plantar hallux wounds.
He subsequently referred to me as a TFP. "I close an infected wound just like I close a regular wound" meaning he does vicryl in an infected wound then skin closure.
I then pointed out literature says no vicryl in contaminated/infected wounds (which I then pointed out following evidence based medicine actually makes me actually anti-TFP).
He then started this biased worded poll. I demand a recount/repoll!
................
And before anyone asks if I am doing a keller its because the wound is pretty bad. Not for a wagner 1. Patient is facing amputation without intervention.
Delayed primary closure - after at least 2 debridement's, packing open/dressing changes, IV antibiotics, I do use deep closure but not vicryl.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I dont follow.DPC after two debridements for a mtpj wound how mad are the hospitalists with those 2-3 week stays
Do your DPCs take 2-3 weeks?
I dont do any DPC for an ulcer. I&D/Amp sure
Re-reading my post perhaps I wasnt clear. My statement under the dotted lines was a comment to quell the "well how do you do a DPC then?" which is deemed clean after at least 2 debridements and packed open for several days. Which is still no where near 2 weeks. I also dont use vicryl when there has been infection present for DPC which is the point of this thread.
Don’t use tourniquet
Use wheaties/gelpies
3-0 PS2 prolene vertical mattress or simple
No hemiguard unless you’re a ***** or TFP
2-0 vicryl for everything
You do not need a wound care or limb salvage fellowship to learn simple principles.
Use wheaties/gelpies
3-0 PS2 prolene vertical mattress or simple
No hemiguard unless you’re a ***** or TFP
2-0 vicryl for everything
You do not need a wound care or limb salvage fellowship to learn simple principles.
tbh if there is no pus or gas I’d even wager tourniquet is the way to go. Easy visualization to cut get in and get out without constant suctionDon’t use tourniquet
Use wheaties/gelpies
3-0 PS2 prolene vertical mattress or simple
No hemiguard unless you’re a ***** or TFP
2-0 vicryl for everything
You do not need a wound care or limb salvage fellowship to learn simple principles.
Sendin_Toes_2market
Full Member
Blood is good. Plenty of Plasma. If it’s good for tendons it’s good squirting out of my diabetic wound. Basically a 0232T.tbh if there is no pus or gas I’d even wager tourniquet is the way to go. Easy visualization to cut get in and get out without constant suction
I can't imagine Feli being an admin. He'd lock everything.There was a thread about vicryl roughly 12 years ago... locking.
SoleSucking
Full Member
I’m pretty much done with vicryl. Had 2 or 3 suture spitting incidents and I’m over it. Monocryl is annoying to use because I can’t see it but that’s my way forward.
In infection I never use absorbable sutures though. So I’m a tfp
In infection I never use absorbable sutures though. So I’m a tfp
Yeah dude is a total narcI can't imagine Feli being an admin. He'd lock everything.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 17
- Views
- 2K