do your subspecialists attend general inpatient peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rock_climber

0.1K+ member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M3 here, haven't done peds at my school yet. Some of our IM specialists attend for general inpatient medicine teams and I was curious if the same occurred in peds. I love inpatient and I think my dream position right now would be a peds sub-specialist, do some months of inpatient peds attending (while doing my subspeciality as well), and teach. Is this commonplace?
 
It depends on the specialty and the place. Some subspecialties hang onto their general peds more (i.e. ID, Nephro) and some don't (i.e. Cards, NICU).

What you're asking isn't impossible. It's also common to be a hosoitalist and just do general inpatient peds.
 
The structure of Peds departments and how different areas are covered varies widely. In many programs, specialists do rotate as "general" inpatient attendings, while others are employing hospitalists to cover those duties. It is hard to predict how this is going to evolve, but I suspect that hospitalists are going to become more common in the future. If you really enjoy inpatient pediatric medicine, you may want to consider becoming a hospitalist, perhaps by starting with a general academic pediatric fellowship.