"Doctor Loan/Physician Loan Programs"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for an attending with student loans that are not in deferment, it sounds like there is no benefit to getting a doctor loan. 0% down with a 2% origination doesn't seem like a good deal. If there was no PMI, I think it would make sense to go with one of these lenders, but hard to say that they wouldn't make up the difference elsewhere.

You're right! 2% origination is no deal at all. I believe that organization is a middle man to a much larger bank. This should not be the case if you go directly to the source.

Generally, a zero down loan (with no PMI) is going to have a slightly higher interest rate. It's still a loan most of the general population would LOVE to have access to and it is only available to you.

Find a lender you trust and have them work up some comparisons. Our physician loan has almost always come out ahead unless a doctor has 20% or more to put down.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys.

Ran the credit, 711 was one score, another was similar, middle was 693. That is the one the loan companies are looking at.

Looking for some advise. I have $26000 saved. I can use $16000 for downpayment (5%) and 10K for closing.

Only reason my score is 693 is due to the fact I have 9000$ in CC debt. I hope to pay that off in the first two months of working.

Advise needed

1) Should I pay the 9000 off, NOT have money for closing cost, get the best loan rate but have no closing $$?

OR

2) keep the CC as they are, and see what loan I qualify for?

Thing is since I can't get a 0% down loan (no one does that in CA), having perfect credit prior to loan isn't making that much of a diff, is it ?

I will be buying in June, so I have some time still.

Thanks guys.

Ran the credit, 711 was one score, another was similar, middle was 693. That is the one the loan companies are looking at.

Looking for some advise. I have $26000 saved. I can use $16000 for downpayment (5%) and 10K for closing.

Only reason my score is 693 is due to the fact I have 9000$ in CC debt. I hope to pay that off in the first two months of working.

Advise needed

1) Should I pay the 9000 off, NOT have money for closing cost, get the best loan rate but have no closing $$?

OR

2) keep the CC as they are, and see what loan I qualify for?

Thing is since I can't get a 0% down loan (no one does that in CA), having perfect credit prior to loan isn't making that much of a diff, is it ?

I will be buying in June, so I have some time still.

If it were me, I would pay the CC down to 20% of available balance and ask the seller to pay your closing costs for you when you offer on their home.

It’s common to have that done.

The less you have down, the more credit scores matter. Your best rates and most options will come if you have a 740+ score. I'd love to answer any more questions you have. Feel free to PM me. Good luck!

If it were me, I would pay the CC down to 20% of available balance and ask the seller to pay your closing costs for you when you offer on their home.

It’s common to have that done.

The less you have down, the more credit scores matter. Your best rates and most options will come if you have a 740+ score. I'd love to answer any more questions you have. Feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Thank you kindly. I will pay the CC off then. Appreciate it

My Professionals Mortgage Program offers 90% financing on a purchase or refi with no PMI, up to $1,000,000 I lend in the lower 48 states. My Jumbo rates can be checked @ afbank.com
The rate on the Professionals Program normally mirrors our Jumbo rates.
We don't count the student loan payment against your DTI if they are deferred for 1yr.
We can accept a job offer letter with start date 6mo out.
Our closing cost are super low. The only "extra" charge could be for the appraisal & that is paid directly to the appraisal company & is based on the purchase price & or, your location.

The biggest advantages with the program are no PMI, 10% down, & student loans aren't counted if deferred. Feel free to contact me @ 816-412-4734 Armed Forces Bank

My Professionals Mortgage Program offers 90% financing on a purchase or refi with no PMI, up to $1,000,000 I lend in the lower 48 states. My Jumbo rates can be checked @ afbank.com
The rate on the Professionals Program normally mirrors our Jumbo rates.
We don't count the student loan payment against your DTI if they are deferred for 1yr.
We can accept a job offer letter with start date 6mo out.
Our closing cost are super low. The only "extra" charge could be for the appraisal & that is paid directly to the appraisal company & is based on the purchase price & or, your location.

The biggest advantages with the program are no PMI, 10% down, & student loans aren't counted if deferred. Feel free to contact me @ 816-412-4734 Armed Forces Bank

Do you lend to residents?

Do you lend to residents?
We do
We can use currently combined income from your taxes or if there is a job that will start within 6mo of closing we can use the projected income from the offer letter.

I am currently an attending but I am going back to residency in July to train in a different specialty and I'm having problems qualifying for a small loan (90 to 100k) despite excellent credit, a decent amount of money in the bank and no debt except for student loans. I am currently practicing in a large city where it is not feasible to buy but I will be relocating to a small town for residency and I think buying makes sense for my situation even though it is not generally advised for residents.

I am trying to qualify under my anticipated residency salary although I'm beginning to think that may be a mistake- should I just not mention that I'll be taking a pay cut and try to qualify under my current salary? Because I've been using the residency salary, I am looking for a physician's mortgage which will allow a residency contract to serve as proof of loan deferment and will disregard student loans for purposes of qualification- so far the only lender I've spoken with that will accept a residency contract for this purpose is Bank of America but I've heard some negative things and would like to consider other options. I also talked with a representative at Suntrust but I was told that their physician mortgage program would count all of my student loan debt against me which doesn't make much sense. Other smaller/local lenders who I've spoken with are requesting proof of loan deferment for at least 12 months from origination date of the loan in order to disregard the loan payments- my student loan servicer will not defer loans until residency actually starts on July 1 and I would really like to be able to buy and close prior to then.

Please feel free to message me with any advice or with information about banks that might have the type of program that I am looking for. Thanks in advance.

I don't know of any program that would take the contract as "proof" the student loans were deferred per se . Most underwriters are still going to ask that we confirm via the student loan company with documentation or verification via phone, when the 1st payment becomes due. A typical loan will not count student loan payments if the 1st payment is due 12mo or more from the close date of the loan. Not sure what you Debt-to-income would be on new lower salary when your residency starts. If your DTI fits the program & you can prove no student loan payments for 12+ months I would do a non "doctors loan" Most doctor loan programs are going to have a lower DTI max.
The product we offer for doctors & lawyers was created for larger loan amounts that might fall into the "Jumbo" category. The program would requires only 10% downpayment vs the typical Jumbo downpayment of 20-25% percent. Which would big a huge savings if you are buying like a 500k home. along with the no PMI.
Most lenders will charge you a premium for the low or no down payment under the program. You will pay the premium on the front (closing cost) or on the back (rate). If you truly don't need a doctors program I would forgo it, if you have the down payment 3.5% for FHA(wouldn't recommend) or 5% for conventional.

Well I decided to write a check and pay of my 10K CC bills. So I am debt free.

However I heard paying it all off will lower the CC score or will take a while to adjust.

Previously my highest credit score was 710 and lowest was 680.

I only have a car loan, and student loan (due starting September). I have no other debts.

I do have the 5% down. I am looking to buy May/June, so I am hoping my credit card balance of 0 will give me a bump on my credit report?

I am currently looking to purchase a property in Los Angeles between 315-380K, with 5% down.

My contract for employment starts July 1st.

I HAVE NOT shopped any conventional places. Ihave seen the ads for the 7/1, 5/1, 5/5, and 15/15 ARM rates.

I guess as it comes close to May, and I have my credit pulled again, I can then decide if Doctor Loan vs a Conventional+PMI helps me.

With my bonus etc, I hope to pay the house down quickly, to get into the 20% equity.

Given the doc loans in Los ANgeles are not 0 down, I have to really see the advantages on doc vs conventional for me....

THanks for any help/advise. The 5/5 ARM loans seem very inviting with the low rates...

(for me this will be an investment property, where I want to live for 3 years).

Paying down the credit card debt should boost your scores quite a bit. I would guess @ lest 15 points.
Doesn't sound like you need a doctor specific loan. You can get a good rate with a score @ 720 or higher. Normal Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac conventional loan @ 95% LTV should work for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paying down the credit card debt should boost your scores quite a bit. I would guess @ lest 15 points.
Doesn't sound like you need a doctor specific loan. You can get a good rate with a score @ 720 or higher. Normal Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac conventional loan @ 95% LTV should work for you.

Thank you. I will check wiht my local banks in May, to see if at the end of they day conventional (with PMI) is better vs phyisician loan (no PMI)

Who are the physician mortgage loan lenders in NY, more specifically the NYC area. I've only found BoA that does physician mortgage loans. Any help appreciated thank you.

Who are the physician mortgage loan lenders in NY, more specifically the NYC area. I've only found BoA that does physician mortgage loans. Any help appreciated thank you.

From http://whitecoatinvestor.com/personal-finance/the-doctor-mortgage-loan/ page:

Charter Bank: CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, VT, and WV
Contact Chris Minear (NMLS# 273313) at 330-835-2877 or [email protected]

Citizens Bank: CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, VT, and WV
Contact Anne Swane (NMLS# 697239) at 603-944-2119 or [email protected]

BBVA/Compass Bank: AL, TX, NM, CO, AZ, CA and parts of FL. Other states possible if you’ve been a Compass customer for at least 6 months, including AR, CT, GA, ID, KS, LA, MA, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, TN, VA, WA and some parts of NY
Contact Michael Wagner (NMLS# 801156) at 817-310-4017 or [email protected]

Anybody hear of the BBVA Compass first time home buyers program? Rate is supposed a little higher, no payments for 3 months, and no PMI. 5% down.

I asked them about doctor loan, and they recommended their own first time program.

I am looking to buy in June... so still shopping around, haven't done all the applications yet.

I was also told townhomes dont qualify for physician loan

I'm a 3rd year medical student and am basically looking for a financial advisor (or financial advice). My wife and I purchased a 2 family house where I'm going to medical school. We live in one unit and rent the other. In addition, I own (inherited) 2 other properties which I also rent out through a management co.

My inyention is to purchase another multi-family property where I get into residency. I intend to keep the current 2-family I'm living in now, renting out both units (which should cover its motgage and costs with approx $200/month left over.)

So, my question is: is this doable? How much mortgage could I qualify for, given my projected earnings during residency? Are there things I need to be doing now to improve my financial picture prior to actually applying for preapproval? I contacted my wife's financial advisor, who told us she has no experience with motgages. I also contacted my current financial institution (which we went through to get our current mortgage) who haven't gotten back to us.

Any advice?

--Sean

I'm a 3rd year medical student and am basically looking for a financial advisor (or financial advice). My wife and I purchased a 2 family house where I'm going to medical school. We live in one unit and rent the other. In addition, I own (inherited) 2 other properties which I also rent out through a management co.

My inyention is to purchase another multi-family property where I get into residency. I intend to keep the current 2-family I'm living in now, renting out both units (which should cover its motgage and costs with approx $200/month left over.)

So, my question is: is this doable? How much mortgage could I qualify for, given my projected earnings during residency? Are there things I need to be doing now to improve my financial picture prior to actually applying for preapproval? I contacted my wife's financial advisor, who told us she has no experience with motgages. I also contacted my current financial institution (which we went through to get our current mortgage) who haven't gotten back to us.

Any advice?

--Sean
Sean,

On the surface, this looks like a difficult situation to lend. If the properties are cash flowing and have been for awhile, then it MIGHT be possible. It's all going to come down to debt-to-income ratios and your tax returns are going to be ultra important. Get 2013 returns wrapped up if you have not already done so.

Mike Z
Fifth Third Bank
[email protected]

I would like some advice on whether renting vs. owning would be better in my situation and if owning should I go with a physician loan or conventional loan:

My situation is a bit unique:
- Boyfriend and I are both incoming residents
- Neither of us has any debt whatsoever (including student loans)
- However we also have very little in the bank (about 5000 combined) so we can't afford a down payment
- My credit score is about 750, not sure about his.
- Renting in our area would cost about 1000-1400
- The homes we are looking at are between 120-175k

Given that we would be splitting rental costs would it make more sense to just rent? Also if we buy would it be better to go with a conventional loan since we have no debt or would the real benefit of physician loan be that we wouldn't have to put any money down? I think it would be easy to resell in our area but I'm hesitant to buy if we are looking to relocate to another part of the city in ~three years. Thanks in advance.

Any advice?

--Sean

It would be my pleasure to advise you Sean. Yes this is possible. First before I begin, I’m a physician focused mortgage lender in Utah, but we also lend in a dozen other states. I’m a 4th generation landlord and rental property owner and I currently own and manage about 100 rental units with my wife and mother.

You should immediately file your 2013 taxes so we can show all that rental income for the year. That will help offset the mortgage payments if you have any. We can use your new residency salary as well as your rental income, as reported on taxes, to qualify you for your new mutli-unit property. I’d have to do a full income analysis to tell you how much you would qualify for, but you should qualify to buy up to a 4 unit property. We can also use the rents from the other 3 units (if you buy a 4-plex) to offset the new payment. This is very possible.

Even if I can’t help you in the state you are buying in, I’ll be happy to advise you and refer you to a pro in your area. Talk to you soon.

Hi all,

I’m starting residency in a fairly expensive area in California and was wondering whether the recommendation for me is to rent or buy considering the cost of the area. My residency will be at least 4 years, 5 years if I do a fellowship, which is highly likely.

Typical rent around the area ranges from 1550-2000+

My statistics are not very great for buying:

Credit Score – 667, made the mistake of allowing my parents to place me on their credit cards, which they effectively maxed out thus screwing my score (long story)

I have about 6,000 in the bank at the moment.

Student loans: ~250,000 medical school only

I could use some advice on the matter as renting isn’t a great option either. I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for some physician loans because of my credit score.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi all - I'll be starting residency this fall in NC and was wondering if I should consider buying or renting. I've tried using the NYTimes calculator and break even comes out at right when I finish residency. A few things below:

Length of training - 5 yrs
Student loans - 100K but interest deferred till Jan 2017
Savings - $10,000 at the moment
Credit Score - 760

Rent in the area - $950-1000
Buying - around $150-160K with a $150-200 HOA fees/month

I talked to a realtor this past week and he noted that I'll end up paying the same renting vs buying on a per month basis if I took up the suntrust doctor loan program. But dont these loans have a high interest rate for letting us have 0% downpayment. Does anyone know approx what these rates tend to be? I know that they are different for each person/bank and depending on credit score but I was hoping to get a ballpark rate given my situation above.

Thanks for all your help. Help is very much appreciated!!

Hey everyone!

If you're in DC/MD or VA area, there's a realtor that a few people I know have gone to purchase houses. A couple in my family have gone to her and she sold them houses and a few of the practicing doctors from my school (DC) actually bought houses from her using the Doctor Loan Program. You all might be better off contacting a real estate agent, since they work with different lenders and know what these lenders are offering versus contacting lenders only, who may only know of what their bank offers.

The realtor's name is Janine Lopez. She has marketing info at the school's residential life center and office. I'm thinking about contacting her myself to see if I could qualify. Rent is crazy expensive here ($1800+/1BR in decent location) and read that when buying you pay similar to rent prices. I graduate in May and in my last year residency. Woohoo.. I'll see if I can contact her if anyone else is interested. I have her marketing info somewhere in my apt.

And yeah I agree on the previous poster. With that rent price, it's really tempting to buy something sooner than later!

Last edited:
h

I talked to a realtor this past week and he noted that I'll end up paying the same renting vs buying on a per month basis if I took up the suntrust doctor loan program. But dont these loans have a high interest rate for letting us have 0% downpayment. Does anyone know approx what these rates tend to be?

Don't know what the norm is, but I pre-qualified with 3.6% rate through suntrust, 0% down.

Don't know what the norm is, but I pre-qualified with 3.6% rate through suntrust, 0% down.

Good to know. Thanks! Still a little confused about if I should buy or rent.....

Well I am no finance expert, but I did my fellowship last 3 years in a high priced CA area.

Rent was 1900. My final months were 2100 (2 more months to go). If I bought in same area, would be $600k for 2 bedroom, which I can't afford.

I had a bit more in savings than you, student loan 160K, and credit 20 points higher.

Renting is the right thing in my opinion.

I am finally buying, as I am finishing fellowship and have my contract (employment) in hand.

Good luck.

Hi all,

I’m starting residency in a fairly expensive area in California and was wondering whether the recommendation for me is to rent or buy considering the cost of the area. My residency will be at least 4 years, 5 years if I do a fellowship, which is highly likely.

Typical rent around the area ranges from 1550-2000+

My statistics are not very great for buying:

Credit Score – 667, made the mistake of allowing my parents to place me on their credit cards, which they effectively maxed out thus screwing my score (long story)

I have about 6,000 in the bank at the moment.

Student loans: ~250,000 medical school only

I could use some advice on the matter as renting isn’t a great option either. I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for some physician loans because of my credit score.

Thank you!

Hi Outlook,

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

If you're in DC/MD or VA area, there's a realtor that a few people I know have gone to purchase houses. A couple in my family have gone to her and she sold them houses and a few of the practicing doctors from my school (DC) actually bought houses from her using the Doctor Loan Program. You all might be better off contacting a real estate agent, since they work with different lenders and know what these lenders are offering versus contacting lenders only, who may only know of what their bank offers.

The realtor's name is Janine Lopez. She has marketing info at the school's residential life center and office. I'm thinking about contacting her myself to see if I could qualify. Rent is crazy expensive here ($1800+/1BR in decent location) and read that when buying you pay similar to rent prices. I graduate in May and in my last year residency. Woohoo.. I'll see if I can contact her if anyone else is interested. I have her marketing info somewhere in my apt.

And yeah I agree on the previous poster. With that rent price, it's really tempting to buy something sooner than later!

Hi Outlook,
Do you happen to have contact info for this agent? I googled the name and there's a realtor in DC but doesn't say if she's the same realtor for
the doctor loan program.
I'm actually relocating back in the DC area in a couple of weeks and this program is something I'm looking into. I asked the docs at the hospital where I am and
they said the doctor loan program was a great program a few years ago, but only a few banks still offer it. A couple actually used the Doctor Loan program
and still live in the home. One doc used this program to upgrade to larger home. But all had great things to say about it.
If you could share more info, would be great. Thanks!!

Hi Outlook,
Do you happen to have contact info for this agent? I googled the name and there's a realtor in DC but doesn't say if she's the same realtor for
the doctor loan program.
I'm actually relocating back in the DC area in a couple of weeks and this program is something I'm looking into. I asked the docs at the hospital where I am and
they said the doctor loan program was a great program a few years ago, but only a few banks still offer it. A couple actually used the Doctor Loan program
and still live in the home. One doc used this program to upgrade to larger home. But all had great things to say about it.
If you could share more info, would be great. Thanks!!

Hello.. yep, I have her info. I actually spoke with her as well about me getting a home loan through the Doctor Loan Program and it seems like a really good program. She has an inclusive list of lenders (about 10 lenders she works with) on her website that offers the Doctor Loan Program. She knows the program well and was able to advise me which lender best works given my situation. She referred me to a loan officer the same day. I've been in contact with the loan officer and was actually preapproved for a loan!

Some good things about the program I can tell you is that both the realtor and loan officer said were there's no PMI on the Doctor Loan Program (you practically save thousands of dollars since FHA and conventional loan requires this and will), the Doctor Loan Program doesn't factor student loan debt when calculating DTI (most doctors can't qualify for a home loan because of high student loan debt and they don't have high enough income to make up for the high DTI ratio).

Also the Doctor Loan Program requires zero down payment or as little as 5-10% downpayment. The zero to little down payment is important factor esp in my case since I don't have alot of money to cover down payment AND closing costs. Some people aren't aware they have to pay closing costs and this is money out of the buyer's pocket. Closing costs range about 3-4% of home price and you have to pay that out of pocket when you close on a house.

Since I will only have about $20k in savings/cash, I only have enough to cover closing costs really. It would take me years to be able to save the 10% or 20% down payment required by conventional loan. And FHA will be too costly with the mortgage insurance. So the program sounds like a 'go' to me. DC area has a really good real estate market and I've wasted enough money on renting since undergrad!

She's a Doctor Loan Realtor in DC or VA area. Email is [email protected] or you can call her on her cell 202-489-6398. She has been sooo helpful! She answered all of my questions. I think it's helpful to reach out to a real estate agent who specializes in doctor loan programs. For instance, Janine works with various lenders vs just contacting one or two lenders that only know about their specific bank's program. If you contact her, she can tell you which lender offers what and the requirements.

I'll keep you updated as I move along through the process! Good luck

Also the Doctor Loan Program requires zero down payment or as little as 5-10% downpayment. The zero to little down payment is important factor esp in my case since I don't have alot of money to cover down payment AND closing costs. Some people aren't aware they have to pay closing costs and this is money out of the buyer's pocket. Closing costs range about 3-4% of home price and you have to pay that out of pocket when you close on a house.

When you make an offer on a home, you can ask the seller to pay your closing costs (many banks limit their contribution to 3% of the amount of the loan). Many sellers are happy to do this because it makes it easier for the buyer to purchase the home--and for the seller to make money. Obviously if you ask the seller to pay your closing costs you should factor that in so you don't low-ball your initial offer and get an outright rejection rather than a counter-offer. But especially if a home has been sitting on the market for a long time, it's not hard at all to get a seller to pay your closing costs (or most of them, depending on what they end up being).

The other side of this is if you buy a home, you should consider the fact that in addition to the normal seller closing costs/realtor fees, you may also pay the buyer's closing costs as well.

That's true also and yeah I would have to pay for the buyer's closing help. You can ask closing cost help, but it's a toss up if there's other offers on the house you want. Just depends on the market I guess but I know DC area and Northern VA, the seller's are calling the shots for the most part since it's a 'seller's market'. The down payment is a huge factor for me esp in the DC area, homes are not cheap. Plus I won't be able to put my student loans on deferment any longer. Any other bank (non doctor loan) will factor my student loan amount in the application and I wouldn't be be able to qualify considering my income and debt ratio.

Contact Janine Lopez (forgot to include her name in post) if you're looking in DC VA or MD area. Her website is pretty inclusive of all lenders program info. She also does Commercial properties like offices if you're looking to lease or buy a medical office for your practice.

Here's her info.. Janine Lopez Email: [email protected] Cell 202-489-6398
Website doctorloanprogram.com

Will keep updates!

I am in the middle of a doctor loan now, hoping to buy soon, and have been shopping aggressively, here is my .02
Some good things about the program I can tell you is that both the realtor and loan officer said were there's no PMI on the Doctor Loan Program (you practically save thousands of dollars since FHA and conventional loan requires this and will)
That is not entirely true. Physician loan has PMI, it is just lender paid instead of borrower paid. Also remember physician loan interest % is higher than conventional loans.
Now here comes the crucial tax deduction question of higher interest vs PMI… that is for each to consider their own situation.
Also the Doctor Loan Program requires zero down payment or as little as 5-10% downpayment. It would take me years to be able to save the 10% or 20% down payment required by conventional loan. And FHA will be too costly with the mortgage insurance. So the program sounds like a 'go' to me.
Apart from some states, Physician loan actually also requires 5% down.
Additionally conventional loans can be had with 5% down, and you don’t need 10/20% down as suggested.

That's true also and yeah I would have to pay for the buyer's closing help. You can ask closing cost help, but it's a toss up if there's other offers on the house you want. Just depends on the market I guess but I know DC area and Northern VA, the seller's are calling the shots for the most part since it's a 'seller's market'. The down payment is a huge factor for me esp in the DC area, homes are not cheap. Plus I won't be able to put my student loans on deferment any longer. Any other bank (non doctor loan) will factor my student loan amount in the application and I wouldn't be be able to qualify considering my income and debt ratio.

Contact Janine Lopez (forgot to include her name in post) if you're looking in DC VA or MD area. Her website is pretty inclusive of all lenders program info. She also does Commercial properties like offices if you're looking to lease or buy a medical office for your practice.

Here's her info.. Janine Lopez Email: [email protected] Cell 202-489-6398
Website doctorloanprogram.com

Will keep updates!

Hey, thanks for the info!! I emailed Janine and got alot of info on the program. Her website helped alot also. I just returned back to the DC area and the real estate market here is really booming. Rents in a decent area here are ridiculously high!! I grew up in the DC area and in the outskirts of the city, and many of my friends have actually purchased homes years back and have gained equity in their homes rather quickly. Many of the run down neighborhoods in DC have changed dramatically and the value of homes have really increased since I left. I'm looking at this from an investment angle because of the market in DC. If I lived anywhere else in the country, I probably would not jump on the opportunity, but since it's DC it only makes sense to buy. I'm kinda kicking myself for not looking into this sooner. Homes in areas where I lived before have almost doubled since I left the area.

The main things that really helps in my situation is similar to yours (Outlook). And that's the zero to low down, no PMI and the student loan DTI consideration.

I also received additional info on the loan...

-Credit score needs to be a minimum between 680-700.

-Rates on average for Doctor Loan are pretty competitive and is not too big of a difference from current rate. Today's rate 4.2%, Two lenders gave me their numbers for my loan..One lender gave me 4.6%, Another lender was 4.7%. Differs per lender but overall competitive.

-No PMI on the Doctor Loan Program (the lender pays this and the reason so, is medical doctors have pretty much very low chances in their homes going to foreclosure etc. due to stability of our occupation). So because of the really low chances of doctors foreclosing or loan not being paid, the insurance is paid by the lender and not the buyer).

Cash I would need for closing:
-I'll need closing costs of about 3-4% of the loan/amount being financed. The realtor stated this is something she asks on the offer for the seller to cover, with the standard asking closing help of 3%. She also stated depending on how many offers you're competing with and how motivated the seller is to sell, will determine if the seller will help in Buyer's closing costs. So in worst case scenario, I should have 3-5% for closing costs to closing date.

-You'll also need some reserve funds for 3 months (typically, it's 3x the monthly mortgage). If you have 401k or retirement funds, you can use this as documentation that you have reserve funds and not necessarily need to have it in cash. I have a 401k of about $10k therefore this will cover my reserve fund.

Comparison to a Non-Doctor loan (Conventional loan):

-Through a conventional loan, If a buyer doesn't have a minimum of 20% down payment, PMI is required. PMI is relieved though once property has gained a minimum of 20% equity or the buyer has paid 20% of the remaining loan amount.

-For example, a $400k sales price of a home with 0% to 5% down, PMI on a FHA is roughly $220/month. Since there is no PMI with a doctor loan, I won't pay this mortgage insurance monthly.

-For my student loans, using a Conventional loan reduces my borrowing power over 120k. With the Doctor Loan Program, they didn't factor in my student loan which qualified me for a $500k+ home. With the conventional loan they factored my student loans which qualified me for a $350k home. $350k home will basically get me a fixer upper in a not so desirable area in DC :/ Plus, I would still need to have $50k+ cash for downpayment if I go with Conventional.

So basically, if the buyer doesn't have the full 20% downpayment cash (ie. 100k on a $500k house) on a home, the lenders sticks me with PMI fees.

In short, The Doctor Loan program is great for folks who don't have or wouldn't have the full 20% downpayment for the home. In DC, because of the prices of homes, for a $400k home, one would need $80k+ in cash saved up, plus closing costs fees of 3-5%, that's well over $100k in cash. With the increasing prices of homes, buying far outweighs renting in the DC area.

Saving isn't easy and with the high rental cost in or around the city, saving up to 100k cash would be very difficult for me and the rising cost of rent and homes to buy doesn't help either. On average it's much easier to spend extra money than saving it for an investment (unless the buyer is very conservative in saving). Condos in decent areas run $380k+, rowhouses and single family are $500k+ (this is being very conservative).

This is just my situation and the market that I am in. I just feel like I've rented for all of these years and kinda wish I had purchased something even a 2br condo. If I had done so, it would've gained equity after all these years.

Good news is that I have about $40k saved up and have been pre approved!!!! I have just about enough for closing, and a small down payment. I came back this weekend to the DC area and was really surprised at how much rents are going for. Rental prices are really up there! Tired of paying someone else's mortgage so it's to start investing myself.

I have an appointment with the realtor coming up.. I'll include anything else I learn about after my appointment! Thanks again for sharing the realtor's info.. She's been really helpful and knows the area and program really well.

The borrowing amount of $350k (conventional) vs $500k (doctor loan) was based on final residency pay btw. Actual employment will allow me higher borrowing power. Will know actual borrowing numbers soon.

I am in the middle of a doctor loan now, hoping to buy soon, and have been shopping aggressively, here is my .02

That is not entirely true. Physician loan has PMI, it is just lender paid instead of borrower paid. Also remember physician loan interest % is higher than conventional loans.
Now here comes the crucial tax deduction question of higher interest vs PMI… that is for each to consider their own situation.

Apart from some states, Physician loan actually also requires 5% down.
Additionally conventional loans can be had with 5% down, and you don’t need 10/20% down as suggested.

That's correct in that the buyer does not pay for the PMI. I'm shopping around for lenders and have boiled it down to 2 lenders. Both are only a .2-.3 difference from the current rate. The rates increased from 3.75% (8 months ago) to 4.2% current. First lender will do the loan for 4.3% and the other lender at 4.5%. Not bad at all.

Conventional could be an option but I would have to put at least 5-10% down, pay PMI and my student loans will be factored in. Conventional loans takes student loans into factor when calculating how much you can borrow or finance.

Most Doctor Loan Programs are 100% financed. The two lenders I boiled it down to are 100% financed, however, I plan to put a little bit down for down payment. I'll also have some gift money from family to put towards down payment and will have enough for closing costs and a bit more just in case for closing.

The borrowing amount of $350k (conventional) vs $500k (doctor loan) was based on final residency pay btw. Actual employment will allow me higher borrowing power. Will know actual borrowing numbers soon.

No problem. Pretty stoked myself about getting preapproved. Keep us updated!

I'm curious why you're all quoting the 30-year fixed rate--unless you plan to say in the house for a long time, why not go with a 5/1, 7/1, or 10/1 ARM and save a lot of money?

I'm curious why you're all quoting the 30-year fixed rate--unless you plan to say in the house for a long time, why not go with a 5/1, 7/1, or 10/1 ARM and save a lot of money?
I definitely will be going for ARM.

There is no 100% doctor loan finance in CA, and many other states.

Also not sure the price of house youa re buying, but with I shopped conventional at 5% down and physician at 5% down, and both approved me for loan of 625,000, one taking my student loan into account, and other not doing so.

Though given I really want to live beneath my means, I am shopping the 350-400k range, though difficult here in Los Angeles.

Good luck.

That's correct in that the buyer does not pay for the PMI. I'm shopping around for lenders and have boiled it down to 2 lenders. Both are only a .2-.3 difference from the current rate. The rates increased from 3.75% (8 months ago) to 4.2% current. First lender will do the loan for 4.3% and the other lender at 4.5%. Not bad at all.

Conventional could be an option but I would have to put at least 5-10% down, pay PMI and my student loans will be factored in. Conventional loans takes student loans into factor when calculating how much you can borrow or finance.

Most Doctor Loan Programs are 100% financed. The two lenders I boiled it down to are 100% financed, however, I plan to put a little bit down for down payment. I'll also have some gift money from family to put towards down payment and will have enough for closing costs and a bit more just in case for closing.

There is no 100% doctor loan finance in CA, and many other states.

Also not sure the price of house youa re buying, but with I shopped conventional at 5% down and physician at 5% down, and both approved me for loan of 625,000, one taking my student loan into account, and other not doing so.

Though given I really want to live beneath my means, I am shopping the 350-400k range, though difficult here in Los Angeles.

Good luck.

Come to the Midwest and buy a home for $100,000--you just have to be ok with six months of winter :) It's actually going to snow tonight... :( I remember there was once a time when I lived in Northern CA where I could go hiking in the middle of February...

I too called a couple banks--I agree that very few offer loans with $0 down. Bank of America requires 5%, Wells Fargo doesn't do resident loans (but does have physician loans for graduating residents). PNC requires 10% down. Fifth Third is the only one I know that required $0 down (at the same rates as BofA)--but like PNC, they're a regional bank and I doubt they service loans out West. But if you're in the Midwest they're quite prominent over here. I contacted other banks, but no others serviced mortgages in the state I'm moving to for PGY2, so I didn't inquire about down payment required, rates, etc.

^^^
Born and raised in the midwest...love it....lived in NE and CA, and real estate in the coasts are crazy..but that is life.

^^^
Born and raised in the midwest...love it....lived in NE and CA, and real estate in the coasts are crazy..but that is life.

It's crazy, but how do you put a price on those ocean sunsets and old-growth-filled mountains? If I can I'll be coming back to CA to practice.

But it may be tempting to stay in the Midwest to pay down my loans--with the cost of living so low, it may be worth staying here a few years to make returning to a nice part of CA more feasible.

RANGER

I have found the longer you live in lower cost areas, the harder it gets to swallow 410$/sq feet housing .....

I plan to keep the property for a long time. In the area I'm looking to purchase, the real estate has increased by average of 30% within a short period of time. I'm looking at this as an investment as well. There are many students, government employees and hospitals in this particular location and a 1BR for rent is currently at $1800+. Definitely holding on to whichever property I go with.

Here are the rates I was quoted for physician loan 4/18/14. Please let me know your thoughts.

Origination cost of $1250

30 year fixed 4.75, APR 4.795

7/1 ARM 4.00, APR 3.711

10/1 ARM 4.250, APR 3.961

Here are the rates I was quoted for physician loan 4/18/14. Please let me know your thoughts.

Origination cost of $1250

30 year fixed 4.75, APR 4.795

7/1 ARM 4.00, APR 3.711

10/1 ARM 4.250, APR 3.961

I think everyone quoted me at about the same 30-year fixed rate, but I was quoted better ARM rates from Bank of America (requires 5% down) and Fifth Third ($0 down, but I don't think they loan to CA). Fifth Third had the best numbers (unless you count PNC, which is also regional, but also requires 10% down). The 5/1 ARMs were usually between 3.125-3.25% and the 7/1 ARMs between 3.375 and 3.6125 (it depended on the bank and when I asked--the ARMs fluctuate more). I don't remember the 10/1 rates--we're looking at a pretty small place so the odds are we won't stay more than five years, certainly seven at most. I thought about the 5/1, but the 7/1 gives us a little more flexibility for about $15/month--seemed worth it to me.

Obviously rates are depending on credit--but it might be worth shopping around more. On the other hand, if there is no one else servicing physician loans in your state, then you may have no other options.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Would you mind letting me know the BofA numbers via private message, if you so wish, or your contact there?

I only have 3 choices here in CA (Bofa, Utah Physician loans, Compass)

I am debating between 7 and 10ARMs.

I think everyone quoted me at about the same 30-year fixed rate, but I was quoted better ARM rates from Bank of America (requires 5% down) and Fifth Third ($0 down, but I don't think they loan to CA). Fifth Third had the best numbers (unless you count PNC, which is also regional, but also requires 10% down). The 5/1 ARMs were usually between 3.125-3.25% and the 7/1 ARMs between 3.375 and 3.6125 (it depended on the bank and when I asked--the ARMs fluctuate more). I don't remember the 10/1 rates--we're looking at a pretty small place so the odds are we won't stay more than five years, certainly seven at most. I thought about the 5/1, but the 7/1 gives us a little more flexibility for about $15/month--seemed worth it to me.

Obviously rates are depending on credit--but it might be worth shopping around more. On the other hand, if there is no one else servicing physician loans in your state, then you may have no other options.