"Doctor Loan/Physician Loan Programs"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I closed in August with a Physician loan from Compass Bank. Thanks to those of you who suggested that I try them. It saved us a LOT of money compared to the FHA loans we were looking at. As of August, they were still doing zero down and no PMI. We did a 7/1 ARM, which was the best deal at that point. 30-year fixed was about 1.5% higher.

There were some minor bumps along the way, mainly around incorrect documentation on their part, but we were able to go all of those things resolved and they really came through with regards to wiring the money on time and with the interest rate.

Members don't see this ad.

The 5/1 Year ARM or the 7/1 Year ARM is the product of choice and the best rate. You are only going to be in your program 3-5 years anyway and when you finish your program you will either move away or want to move up to a nicer home.

The 5/1 Year ARM or the 7/1 Year ARM is the product of choice and the best rate. You are only going to be in your program 3-5 years anyway and when you finish your program you will either move away or want to move up to a nicer home.
Well considering that 5year arms are equal to a 30 year arm right now (and 7/1 arms are higher) I'd consider more than just the rate. Also make sure that is APR because that is where they will get you with backend fees.

Also, please note, the lenders haven't address the new issue of "loan repayment" that is going into effect for July 2009. I'm curious to see how this "requirement" will affect the lending practices/applications since now you will have mandatory debt into your DTI (which means you can't afford as much house). Just something to think about if you are thinking of purchasing in a year or two. Forebearance will be the only option for "deferral".

Members don't see this ad :)
The rates change everyday and right now the 30 year fixed is about the same as the 5/1 year arm. However going with a regular 30 year mortgage, most mortgage companys are requiring at least 10% down and it's tough to get mortgage insurance. Who keeps their home more than 5 years anyway.

What is mortgage insurance? Mortgage insurance is an insurance that the bank requires, if you don't put down 20%, and the borrower has to pay it!

Bank fees run around $1,000. As a resident, your student loans are usually deferred, so you don't have to count those against your debt to income ratio. Plus you get a tax break writing off your mortgage interest.

Hey, there are some really good deals out there right now...buy low...sell high.

Anything new with the loans in residency topic? I have been investigating conventional, VA, and physician loans. Dealing with loan deferments is very frustrating, and it is difficult to determine if I am getting the best deal or not.

That is 99% of all our financing (medical that is) specifically to practice start ups or current practices...

So for 'Personal' lines of credit we rarely work those but I do know them.

Both Suntrust (which would be my 1st recomendation) and BofA will more than likely max out at 75k.

Most all those loans are income based - that being said if you are of a normal income level as an 'intern' it is not easy to find a line for 200k.

This is quite the long thread so maybe that was addressed - otherwise let me know if I can answer any questions.

SquidDoc

What kind of problems are you dealing with concerning loan deferments?

Just FYI for those still reading this thread,
I just spoke with a Bank of America rep., and he was quoting me 10% down payment as being the requirement for declining markets...it used to be 5% I thought. Apparently one can still get a FHA loan which only requires 3% down (but might require PMI?). Hopefully he doesn't totally know what he's talking about, because I was counting on only 5% down for the physicians' loan.

I'll definitely be checking out Suntrust too, since I already bank with them.

That's interesting...10% down? What state are you in? There is a way that you can plug in the zip code and see if the home you are buying or refinancing is in a declining market. We have a 100% physicians program and no pmi if you are buying in our footprint. Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Alabama, and Florida.

Yes, it's a declining market.
I'm not going to be buying for another couple of months, so I didn't freak out about what he told me. The 10% down, vs. just 5%, was a new one on me, though.

The way we do it is order the appraisal, if the appraisal comes back marked "Stable", we use that. The mortgage insurance companies are the ones that have determined certain states declining market. For example, I am in Florida and the mortgage insurance companies have determined that the whole State of Florida is declining. Well, that's not the case, there are pockets of stable markets.

I am surprised that BoA is saying 10% down. Have you tried another branch or 1-800 number?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow medical professionals,

Just a word of caution. Please be careful taking advice from so called "friendly mortgage brokers" on this site. I ended up using services of one of these out-of-state brokers in 2004 and ended up screwed on promised interest rate at closing. Please please use someone local, so you easily have access to them if there is a problem.

I agree with you, some mortgage brokers are the big reason that we are in the mess we are in today.

However I am not a mortgage broker and I am honest. :0)

Excuse me, Mr. Hager. You are a LOAN OFFICER, not a mortgage broker. I am sure you only have the best interest of your customers in mind :).

I repeat, DO NOT use anyone who is not local.

My name is David Hager and I am a loan officer with Compass Bank specializing in Physician's Loans. Our 100% financing program is designed exclusively to meet the needs of physicians for pruchase of their primary residence. Our loans go up to $1,000,000 and there is no PMI.

Please contact me with any questions you may have.

[email protected]

Hello,
I am a fellow too, and just met with a mortgage officer at B of A in Southern California. They quoted me 5% down. However, they then said that I wasn't eligible because I am not a resident or a "practicing physician". They apparently don't know what a fellow is. Has anyone run into this problem, and how have you worked it out?

That's kind of dumb. I'm a fellow as well, so they will probably tell me the same thing. As far as getting appraisals and then telling folks if they will qualify for a loan, that doesn't work so well for a lot of residents/fellows. We would rather be able to get preapproved for "X" amount and THEN go look for a house, as the places we are looking are often out of state, or at least not the same city where we currently live, and in order to go shopping for a house or condo, it's nice to know how much you are going to be able to borrow before you start looking seriously.

I suspect credit is going to be tight this spring, despite the feds trying to loosen things up...

He doesn't know what a Fellow is...tell him to go to his manager and ask. You shouldn't have a problem.

hm..unfortunately this mortgage loan officer was working with an underwriter and since the guidelines have changed so much, perhaps they have tightened the rules and anything that doesn't fit into the cookie cutter description of their guidelines, they immediately deny. At this point, they are requesting a letter of employment verification, and this needs to be submitted for an "exception" to the corporate headquarters - how ridiculous...

That is ridiculous.
I'm thinking at this point I may just try to get a FHA loan to avoid dealing with all this "Dr. Loan" baloney. Has anyone gotten/used an FHA loan?

I am looking for loan options in Alabama. Please PM me if you know of any.

Thanks

hm..unfortunately this mortgage loan officer was working with an underwriter and since the guidelines have changed so much, perhaps they have tightened the rules and anything that doesn't fit into the cookie cutter description of their guidelines, they immediately deny. At this point, they are requesting a letter of employment verification, and this needs to be submitted for an "exception" to the corporate headquarters - how ridiculous...

That is ridiculous.
I'm thinking at this point I may just try to get a FHA loan to avoid dealing with all this "Dr. Loan" baloney. Has anyone gotten/used an FHA loan?

Just a little FYI when dealing with "dr. loan" brokers ... if they don't know what they are talking about then avoid them. There are items that are standard requests for physician mtg for 4th year students, residents, and fellows. If you get feedback that you aren't a physician, tell them to ask their manager what a fellow is, tell them you are a licensed physician who can already practice medicine but decided on optional additional training and tell him good day.

Please beware that sometimes fellows are confused with post-doc fellows that are NOT eligible for these programs usually. So I could see a bit of why people might be confused especially if they had a few people call and ended up denying them. Not everyone understands the lingo.

But the standard items you will need to have (depending on if 4th year or resident/fellow):
-employment verification letter
-student loan deferment letter (they will fight you on this currently because you can only get one year deferment at a time [which is going away soon anyway so almost a null point])
-seasoned assets for closing (bank statements showing liquidity) at least 60-90 days (some require even more)
  • sidenote ... so get those assets in YOUR NAME as soon as you start looking --- a sneaky way around the "downpayment" in a sense. If your parents give you $10K say 6 months before you close, usually most banks I've dealt with require 60-90 day bank statements showing the funds in your bank account. Otherwise you need to have a gift letter --- some loan programs won't accept gifts.
-last year w-2 or tax returns, current paystubs
-if selling current property - will need offer on your current house
-I'm sure I missed something but these are the big items that will be requested

These doctor loans are the same exact loans offered to the public with a few modifications and "exceptions" as they are called in the business. These exceptions are that you might not have a "stable" employment per se of what most companies want to see for 2 years+, you might be able to get out of paying private mortgage insurance, and sometimes the ratios are a bit higher so you can get more bang for your buck (but you have to know your limits on payments!!!! Don't just expect the realtor to work in your favor - they want your commission so the higher the sales price the better!).

Also, if they charge you points, ask what the final APR is ... they will quote you an interest rate of 5% then at closing you find out that its actually 7.75% because of points rolled into the loan (if you didn't pay the points outright). Mortgages are a shady business which is why we are in trouble. People have no idea how complex the mortgage market is and its sad to see how people got sucked in to some of the loan types that should have never been available. Be an active participant in your purchase/mortgage and try to get someone finanically savy to help you or just check your numbers. ASK QUESTIONS! LOTS OF THEM!! Many of these lenders dumb things down and gloss over important items. I had a few of them do it to me when I was soliciting a mortgage 2 years ago and then I layeth-the-smacketh-down when I started grilling them and then they realized that this chick knew what she was talking about. I weeded out the fast-talkers right quick but I was AMAZED at some of the crap they spewed. The ones that were honest with me upfront were the ones I considered and explained my background in the business and things went alot easier from there because they didn't have to dumb everything down. So having someone who knows how it works can help for advice on what is a good deal or not!!!

Oh and FHA is 3.5% now is it not? I'm not sure. But it might be better to go with the FHA if the payments are cheaper (even with the PMI). Payments are the end all when it comes to qualifying for a mortgage and making the payments on time. FHA you'd have to close after you start your new job though (as a 4th yr med student I believe --- we asked about that). I don't know about moving jobs. Been so long and I really am trying to stay out of this mortgage mess because I don't want to have to move myself next year. Less jinxing on my part!

/long winded rant
:luck:

FHA is 3% down I thought...but I'm assuming would have to come up with some closing costs too? I'm a resident transitioning to fellow, so I should be able to get an FHA loan I'd think.

Great advice by msheaddoc. I have family members involved in the real estate industry and I'm not going to get ripped off by some fly by night mortgage broker...

Thanks.
The 3.5% = not bad.
However, I was reading up on FHA loans and it looks like they include something like PMI...it's not called PMI b/c it's a government backed loan, but it's mortgage insurance that you have to pay for, so to me it's the same difference.

Hey just wanted to make sure...did anyone else have to pay $400 for a pre-approval from BOA for the physician loan?? I think the lady I got on the phone didn't know squat about it...
Also, if anyone knows of a Baltimore MD contact for physician loans that would be helpful,thanks!

If they want $400 up front, I doubt I'll be working with BOA. Some banks do charge you a fee to avoid those who are just window shopping, but I thought it was usually more in the range of $25-75.

radoncwannabe,
make sure this isn't some sort of scam. I'm sure B of A wouldn't scam you, but make sure it's really B of A that you are talking to. Sometimes there are fees charged up front but $400 sounds like a whole lot. Usually the up-front fees are just for doing the credit check, and/or are a nominal amount to keep away people who are strictly window shopping and not serious about getting a loan.

Here's info about one type of scam:
From LendingTree.com
Important Notice about "Upfront Fee" Requests:
LendingTree cares about your privacy and would like to alert you to possible fraudulent activity known as an "upfront fee scam". In an upfront fee scam, a "lender" requires some sort of payment, often called "insurance", before an application has been taken or processed. No legitimate lender does this.
If you receive calls, letters or emails from "lenders" who say that they are LendingTree or who tell you that they represent LendingTree, make sure you know the facts:

LendingTree and our lenders will not ask you to pay any money for approving a loan, guaranteeing a loan or for "insuring" a loan.
LendingTree and our lenders will not ask you to send a copy of your driver's license or social security card before you have submitted an application with a loan officer. Please note: If you complete a loan request through LendingTree, you have not completed a loan application. You must do this with the lenders with whom you are matched.
LendingTree and our lenders will never ask for your bank account information before you complete your loan application.

-student loan deferment letter (they will fight you on this currently because you can only get one year deferment at a time [which is going away soon anyway so almost a null point])
:

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm shopping around for a loan now, but so far most places want a letter from the lender saying that my student loans will defered for at least 2 years. My lender said they do not give such letters, but rather some "servicer" handles that. Furthermore, I can't find out who my servicer is until 2 months prior to starting repayment.

This seems like a huge cluster-F. Has anyone gone through this? any tips on fixing this situation. I just want a house, so I can learn to fix some damn bones. thanks

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm shopping around for a loan now, but so far most places want a letter from the lender saying that my student loans will defered for at least 2 years. My lender said they do not give such letters, but rather some "servicer" handles that. Furthermore, I can't find out who my servicer is until 2 months prior to starting repayment.

This seems like a huge cluster-F. Has anyone gone through this? any tips on fixing this situation. I just want a house, so I can learn to fix some damn bones. thanks

Have you looked into Compass Bank? I'm learning about this as well and so far have gotten in touch with Compass Bank (Drew Daniels- many seem to have had success with him on this forum). I haven't filled out the prelim application yet but he indicated to me that the loans being in forebearance would be fine. I'm not sure what paperwork would be needed for that since the lenders have to do mandatory forebearance if residents request it. Good luck getting a 2 year deferment letter seeing as the deferment option on federal loans is gone on July 1 2009. You will either have to go into forebearance or make income based repayments which I'm sure would impact your ability to get a decent mortgage (~$400/payments).

We are in process of looking for resident loans and we will appreciate if somebody can help us with a few questions.

One thing we want to know is how long it takes to get approved by a bank for the loan. We will need a new house in June, July. It is expected that interest rates will go down as low as 4.5 by summer (may not be true), but we want to get the lowest possible interest on the loan. That is why we want to know if we need to start the application now, or we can wait a month or two.

Thanks.

Last edited:
i just met with a B of A mortgage loan officer today who didn't charge us for a pre-approval letter. he said B of A doesn't for the doctor loans. in general, the whole process (application fee etc) with B of A costs about $1300 here in Southern California, and that includes appraisal fees. the credit report is free.
I went with a different mortgage loan officer this time; I had to call around and interview with several and ask them whether they knew what a fellow is - it is true, many don't have a clue, and confuse it with a post-doc, especially if you happen to be in your research year in fellowship! We heard about Compass bank too, but I am a little wary about going with someone who is not local, with so much mortgage fraud going on. we did talk to one guy at physicianrelocation.com who recommended compass bank, and he tried to talk me out of the B of A loans, stating that their doctor loan program is going away on march 4th - well, that is just not true...

$1300 for upfront/closing costs is good.
If I can get that kind of deal it will make me much more likely to buy...I just don't like the idea of coughing up $3k or something, plus my 5% down.

$1300 for upfront/closing costs is good.
If I can get that kind of deal it will make me much more likely to buy...I just don't like the idea of coughing up $3k or something, plus my 5% down.

You also have to bring all the "pre-paid" money to the table, which is going to be more than $1300 (15 days of interest, taxes x 3 months, HOA premium and prepay if you are buying a house and not a condo).

I am impressed with the $1300 from BOA- Compass is much worse, around $5-6000 including an origination fee and no points. Of course, that is 0 down rather than 5%

Bank of America IS ending the physician loan program, I have confirmed this with two of their representatives

Please don't do a 5/1 or 7/1 ARM. Rates will NEVER be this low again. Fed funds is at .25% right now, plus once we get out of this recession (in the next few years) rates will go WAYY up and you'll be stuck with an ARM.

If you look at the chart below, rates tend to bottom during recessions. 1972, 1987, 1993 to 1994, and NOW.

So fix your mortgage. It wont get this cheap for another 10 years or so...
fhfb_contract_rate.gif

Last edited:
econdr:
That is a great graph. I think I agree with you. However, in the case of someone who is almost 100% sure to be moving in <5 years, a 5/1 or 7/1 ARM might still end up costing you less if the current APR is better than the conventional 30 year loan. That's the situation I'm in. Still, it's hard to justify taking a loan (the 5/1 ARM) that's only maybe 0.5% better right now that still has SOME risk attached to it, however remote. I would NEVER do an ARM on a house I was planning to stay in longer than 5-7 years. You are totally right about that. You will NOT do better in the long run, as mortgage rates right now are near historical lows.

r.e. the comment above.
Is B of A getting rid of the doctor loan program completely, or do you mean they just stopped giving the 0 down loans (which is definitely true)? I got prequalified (not preapproved) by them and it didn't cost me anything. They didnt say anything about not having the dr. loan any more, although I haven't gone tried to go any further than the initial prequalification yet.

I was pre-approved and then contacted and told that they are stopping program, you must be approved by end of March and close by June, otherwise, the program will no longer exist

I was preapproved just a couple days ago, and they didn't tell me anything about the program being stopped. it seems like B of A either doesn't volunteer this info or they really don't know what is going to happen. I did contact my loan officer today and he told me that they don't know whether the rate is going to increase dramatically or they are doing away with the doctor loan - either way I should move on buying very soon. though I like your answer better, and hope that I really do have til June to buy.

BUY by the end of March. Close by June

econdr:
That is a great graph. I think I agree with you. However, in the case of someone who is almost 100% sure to be moving in <5 years, a 5/1 or 7/1 ARM might still end up costing you less if the current APR is better than the conventional 30 year loan. That's the situation I'm in. Still, it's hard to justify taking a loan (the 5/1 ARM) that's only maybe 0.5% better right now that still has SOME risk attached to it, however remote. I would NEVER do an ARM on a house I was planning to stay in longer than 5-7 years. You are totally right about that. You will NOT do better in the long run, as mortgage rates right now are near historical lows.

So when places like Compass have a 1% difference between a 5/1 and a 30 year, I don't think it makes sense for a new resident to go with the 30 year. The loan has a 5/2/5 structure, meaning that the absolute worse case scenario is an 11% rate the 6th year. It can never go higher than that no matter what the interest rates are (ie 20% like in the early 80s). When I calculated out our monthly payment at 11%, it was $2900, which is not so hot for a resident but I will be an attending by that point (doing a 5 year residency+fellowship) and could afford to pay that while trying to sell our house to upgrade by year 7 or so. Maybe I'm missing something here? We would prefer the 7/1 to the 5/1 but are waiting to see if that rate gets any lower. ARMS are pretty bad for most people but I think they make sense for residents.

Also, did anyone get a mailer today from www.matchday2009.com that directs you to Physician Relocation Specialists??? I know they work with Compass Bank but was wondering if anyone has had experience with them?

econdr:
I would NEVER do an ARM on a house I was planning to stay in longer than 5-7 years. You are totally right about that. You will NOT do better in the long run, as mortgage rates right now are near historical lows.

Yes if you are certain you wont be in that house in 5 years, like say you are a resident in a city where you have no plans of staying, then by all means a 5/1 or 7/1 would be the smarter move. But if you want to upgrade and stay in that city, you may decide to maybe work a few years before upgrading or hold onto the home as an investment, and in this event your 5/1 may leave you naked. SO i guess the ultimate question is how certain are you about where you will be in 5 or 7 years?

I don't completely understand a 5/2/5 loan so I cant comment on that. Does that mean that there is a 2% max annual adjustment and a 5% max total adjustment? So your max rate will be 10%?

Yes if you are certain you wont be in that house in 5 years, like say you are a resident in a city where you have no plans of staying, then by all means a 5/1 or 7/1 would be the smarter move. But if you want to upgrade and stay in that city, you may decide to maybe work a few years before upgrading or hold onto the home as an investment, and in this event your 5/1 may leave you naked. SO i guess the ultimate question is how certain are you about where you will be in 5 or 7 years?

I don't completely understand a 5/2/5 loan so I cant comment on that. Does that mean that there is a 2% max annual adjustment and a 5% max total adjustment? So your max rate will be 10%?

A 5/2/5 means that the first year of adjustment (ie after 60 months in a 5/1), the rate can go up by 5% max. the 2 means that after the initial adjustment, it can only go up or down by 2% annually. The last five means the cap is 5% and it can never increase more than 5% overall. So, if it went up by 5% the first year and rates continued to remain at least 5% higher than when you started, it would never go past 11%. It could go down, of course, if the market took another nosedive but they all have floors and I'm not sure what the floor of the Compass arm is. Google "5/1 ARM worst case" to see some examples. But basically, if we went with a 6% APR on a 5/1 ARM, the max it could be in year six is 11%. If you are getting a great deal on a place, this really isn't that bad if you only have to put up with it for 1-2 years. I guess the bigger scare for me is what if house prices continue to plummet and don't recover within the next 6 years...

I guess the bigger scare for me is what if house prices continue to plummet and don't recover within the next 6 years...

Thanks for your detailed response. That makes sense now...

If you are buying real estate in a metropolitan area or surrounding suburbs, we should see some appreciation. The goal of our govt stimulus programs right now is to give our economy a healthy dose of inflation to get prices back up so credit can start working again. We are currently in a deflationary cycle, which while extremely dangerous long term, presents a buying opportunity while the government is doing all it can to essentially air drop crates of cash over our cities...

If prices don't recover, all bets are off, we've got bigger things to worry about. Like a depression...

Bank of America IS ending the physician loan program, I have confirmed this with two of their representatives

If you Google physician loan, you do not get any search results from BOA now. Last week they were number 1 or 2nd search result. So it might be true. I was at the BOA last week and was told to bring all the papers and they will do it for me, quoted 5.37 apr. Was planning to go Mon or Tuesday. Now I do not even know if it's worth going. I will try Suntrust now, then maybe Compass.
Hope there will be one bank willing to do physician loans with no down payment.

Yes, it's true - unfortunately, the BofA doctor loan is being phased out. If you already have a house under contract, as long as you're closing before June 30 you'll be fine, and get a great deal.

You can still put a home under contract with the doctor loan until the end of March, BUT - the BofA rates are going to skyrocket beginning March 9th. So, if you haven't put a home under contract by now, the BofA doctor loan will not be a good choice for you.

That being said, there are still good doctor loans from other banks - Compass & Suntrust. Hopefully they will last. PM me for more info.

Came back from BOA, the rate is 6.75 now, and the lender told me i have to close by June 09. She was able to drop it down to 5.25 with 3 % down payment and .75 discount. FHA loan looked good at BOA, but you need work history and pay PMI.

Suntrust guys were too busy to talk to me, I need to email them.

Update:

Finally got reply from Suntrust after a week. The loan guy said he could not contact earlier because Suntrust reworking their doctor loans as well. So his quote was 6.25-6.5 with 100 % financing no PMI. I think cheap Doctor loans are gone, unless you have a downpayment which bring rates to 5-5.5 % level depending on points and etc.
I got on-line quote too from web based loan provider, It was 7.5 %.

For me it does not make sense to buy at 6-7 %. It is cheaper to rent. We are still hopefull though.

I hope that helps somebody.

Last edited: