-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Doctoral PA Programs...
Started by drusso
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Depends....are you going to have to address him as doctor like we have to do for our NPs?
Do you really have to address your NPs as doctors? If that’s true, the healthcare system you work for needs to be decommissioned.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received a resume from a prospective PA candidate who completed this doctoral PA program. Interview or not??
Wow, check out the spin on that "Doctor of Medical Sciences"
Do you really have to address your NPs as doctors? If that’s true, the healthcare system you work for needs to be decommissioned.
Do you really address your nurses as doctors? If so, why?Depends....are you going to have to address him as doctor like we have to do for our NPs?
Well I mean cmon ligament, all NPs nowadays have their doctoral degree. They are DNPs and shall be called as such. I however was kidding about having to call them doctor but I bet my salary that’s not too far offDo you really address your nurses as doctors? If so, why?
No thankfully. I was being facetiousDo you really have to address your NPs as doctors? If that’s true, the healthcare system you work for needs to be decommissioned.
Well I mean cmon ligament, all NPs nowadays have their doctoral degree. They are DNPs and shall be called as such. I however was kidding about having to call them doctor but I bet my salary that’s not too far off
🙂 Thank goodness. Thought the admins were forcing you to do so.
If you read the particle pain news put out last month, NPs are demanding equal pay as the do “equal work” and apparently have “equal education”. The article actually made me physically sickDo you pay the PA from a doctoral program the same as a PA without? Or would you pay them more?
If you read the particle pain news put out last month, NPs are demanding equal pay as the do “equal work” and apparently have “equal education”. The article actually made me physically sick
Dude, that’s terrible. Didn’t know they were reaching this high.
Do you pay the PA from a doctoral program the same as a PA without? Or would you pay them more?
pay them them more in gross salary but then deduct their medmal insurance so they end up netting about the same
No you do not have to pay the doctoral prepared PA more. Unless they were doing something outside the scope of normal PA practice (research on top of their clinical position). No we PAs never use the term doctor in a clinical setting. However, Research and academia we deem acceptable. If you are looking to employ a PA, definitely consider a doctoral prepared PA. You know s/ he went through another 2 -3 years of grueling school for little to no pay increase. They did it for the love of the profession. I feel That would speak volumes about their dedication.
So doctoral PA programs are 6 years after undergrad? I don't believe itNo you do not have to pay the doctoral prepared PA more. Unless they were doing something outside the scope of normal PA practice (research on top of their clinical position). No we PAs never use the term doctor in a clinical setting. However, Research and academia we deem acceptable. If you are looking to employ a PA, definitely consider a doctoral prepared PA. You know s/ he went through another 2 -3 years of grueling school for little to no pay increase. They did it for the love of the profession. I feel That would speak volumes about their dedication.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But, if you're spending 8 years studying to be a doctor PA, why not just go to medical school? Here's the thing. What is the need to have a doctorate in being a physician assistant? And then asking for Independence to work freely? But, like the title is physician ASSISTANT.Undergrad, then masters and yes all the doctorates I'm familiar w are a min of 2 years on top of a masters. I'm not sure how you came up with 6 years after undergrad,? Its 8 years minimum.
I just don't understand the sudden rush for every person to have a doctorate so they can refer to (nurse, physical therapist, dietician, etc) themselves as a doctor and wear a white coat
It's all about the money obviously. If you could get paid the same as an MD but only have a fraction of the debt and a fraction of the lost opportunity cost wouldn't you do it? It's sad, but once you peel back all the crap, this is the primary motivator. Sure it's also about power and prestige, but the primary driver is money. Unfortunately these major midlevel associations/organizations have become greedy and power hungry while pushing their agenda to state governments and the public under the guise of patient access which is complete crapBut, if you're spending 8 years studying to be a doctor PA, why not just go to medical school? Here's the thing. What is the need to have a doctorate in being a physician assistant? And then asking for Independence to work freely? But, like the title is physician ASSISTANT.
I just don't understand the sudden rush for every person to have a doctorate so they can refer to (nurse, physical therapist, dietician, etc) themselves as a doctor and wear a white coat
Why tf would someone go to school for 4 years to become a PA when they can do it in 2 years and be paid the same in either scenario? I don’t view the person who spent a longer time in school to get their doctorate in medical sciences (lol) more committed to their profession. I see them as a sucker with poor financial sense.
It's like getting an MD/PhD and going into private practice. (MD stands for "Money Dumb")Why tf would someone go to school for 4 years to become a PA when they can do it in 2 years and be paid the same in either scenario? I don’t view the person who spent a longer time in school to get their doctorate in medical sciences (lol) more committed to their profession. I see them as a sucker with poor financial sense.
Also, of all the midlevels I've had issues with (personally or generally), at least 9/10 are NPs, not PAs. I've only worked with one PA who thought they were a doctor in a clinical situation ("doctor of Medical Science"). I've interacted with any number of NPs that think they are doctors (or better), whether they have the "D"-NP or not.
It's less about the individual persons than the schools/societies. Doctoral tuition is much more lucrative. Prestige is better.But, if you're spending 8 years studying to be a doctor PA, why not just go to medical school? Here's the thing. What is the need to have a doctorate in being a physician assistant? And then asking for Independence to work freely? But, like the title is physician ASSISTANT.
I just don't understand the sudden rush for every person to have a doctorate so they can refer to (nurse, physical therapist, dietician, etc) themselves as a doctor and wear a white coat
Once upon a time I decided to be a pharmacist. I started in 2000 for the first "all PharmD" class. Tuition was more than double the RPH tuition from the year before even though we basically had all the same classes. I was literally told that in the future, you would see Dr. MD for your diagnosis, then see Dr. PharmD to get the appropriate medicine. Working in a retail pharmacy after graduation was suddenly considered a "lesser" job that people only did for money and that rounding in the hospital was the job everyone should aspire to.
just reading this thread title made me lolz
you being serious or facetious? I somewhat agree though. If they've completed their PA or NP degree and want to practice independently, better to have them transition into a medical program. Not entirely sure what that would look likeI think a two year MD bridge should be available for them to pass all Steps, NBMEs and be eligible for residency program.
Serious. Basic science PhDs used to have similar pathway. Also, dentists have an abbreviated pathway. I think the British system also has an abbreviated graduate/professional entry MBBS that is 4 rather than 6 yrs.
On the same vein, 3 yr MD should be an option for everyone.
Residency, fellowship should be kept as is but open to any eligible individual with an MD degree who has passed all necessary exams.
On the same vein, 3 yr MD should be an option for everyone.
Residency, fellowship should be kept as is but open to any eligible individual with an MD degree who has passed all necessary exams.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K