Doctorate over Masters for Rehabilitation

Started by Haga
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Haga

Hotter Than Black Pepper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, Ive finally decided on Speech Pathology, I know this isn't the right forum but its for anyone in Rehabilitation Science. What is the advantage and benefits of having a Doctorate over a Masters (or equivalent) in a Rehabilitation Field(PT, OT, SLP, ect,)????

I asked this because, I plan on attending the University of Kentucky's Doctor of Rehabilitation Science Degree after my Masters (its a doctorate for anyone in the field of PT, OT, Aud, SLP, and Athletic Training) Is this degree just a preparation for being over a Rehab Clinic or is there more benefits?

Thanks!
 
I am not aware of that program but it would depend on what kind of doctorate you will be acheiving. You should weight the cost and benefits of acheiving a doctorate. If you're going for the research doctorate (Ph.d's, etc), it'll take you a long time of schooling (avg. to complete a ph.d is 6 years) and cost you a lot of $$$. If you're going for a professional doctorate (M.D.s, J.D.s, etc), it'll be about (avg. 3-4 years) + addtional training if doing M.D. and will cost you a lot of $$$ too.

You can become a professor and help teach SLP if the program is a Ph.D. There is always a need for higher education professors and a need to expand rehab programs. The reason why there is such a shortage in rehab is due to lack of OTs, PTs, SLP, Aud. professors so there is not enough seat opens to allow students to get in.

Also, with a doctorate, it is a benefit but not neccessary to gain managerial positions in hospitals, clinics, etc. or to open your own rehab business.

I can't really say how much of an advantage having a doctorate over a masters. It really depends on the field. Some of the OTs I have worked with said there was a little pay difference b/t a OT with MOT and a OT with OTD but not a lot. However, they have said to me that an OTD will allow more oppurtunities in managerial positions and faculty position at colleges (?)...I'm not sure about that..it's from one OT's exprience that I have worked along with. I thought in order to teach OT, the OT would need to get a Ph.D since OTD is a professional doctorate not research doctorate.

In the end, it's all about how you utilize and market your degree to advance yourself in your career. There are oppurtunities there for you but it's how you respond to it and what you make of it.

Good luck! Redbean85