• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Mikey Mikey

2+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Hi everyone,

I am currently a practicing counsellor and in order to get a pay raise at my job, I need a doctorate (at least that is one way). Since I am not able to leave my current job to pursue this full time, I am wondering if anyone knows any online/low residency programs at the doctorate level that would be of interest to me? I would be interested in Counselling, Social Work, Psychology, Education, Special Education - anything like this. Any advice would be very helpful!

Thank you!

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I'm not aware of any reputable such programs. The only APA-accredited hybrid-type program in psychology is Fielding, and they are generally not viewed particularly favorably in the field.

The main initial question I would have is whether the cost of any online doctorate would actually be worthwhile in comparison to the amount of the raise you would receive. I personally don't think the monetary or time commitment would be worth what you might receive in return.

Mikey Mikey

2+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Thank you for your input. It would improve my pension as well so as long as it isn't super super expensive, it would be helpful. I wouldn't need an APA accredited program.

Idaho Counselor

Apr 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
This is largely a psychology forum, so we will see a lot of answers/opinions based through this lens. That said, APA-accredited programs aside (as you are looking at counseling or SW degrees anyhow), what AcronymAllergy said is sound logic. While there are some reputable-ish online [non clinical] doctorate programs to choose from, they pretty much all come with a ridiculous price tag which would almost certainly negate the prospect of a pay raise. There are a few state U's out there offering online doctorates. (Again, so long as it is a RESEARCH degree and not a clinical doctorate.) In my state, the state U offers a few different funded online/hybrid research doctorates. As a counselor myself, I would most likely look at the PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision (CES). But this degree is mostly for folks that wish to train new counselors. It does nothing to elevate one's clinical career, as we are licensed at the mid-level already. (Obviously, this part never changes unless we go the clinical psych doctorate route.)

It is odd that your clinic offers pay raises for doctorate degrees. Per ACA code of ethics, a mid level clinician cannot refer to themselves as "Dr." outside of an educational setting even with an earned [non clinical] doctorate degree. In the clinic, we are still master's degree holders. So, it's not like your clinic could even really ethically advertise their clinicians as holding doctorate degrees.

That all said, state U's aside, and clinical psych doctorates aside, there is always the University of the Cumberlands PhD in CES. It is CACREP accredited. I believe the price tag is around $25K. This will be about as affordable (and practical) as an online non-clinical doctorate gets. Only you can figure if it would be worth the cost. Wish you luck, my friend.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.