Doctorate Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikey Mikey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a practicing counsellor and in order to get a pay raise at my job, I need a doctorate (at least that is one way). Since I am not able to leave my current job to pursue this full time, I am wondering if anyone knows any online/low residency programs at the doctorate level that would be of interest to me? I would be interested in Counselling, Social Work, Psychology, Education, Special Education - anything like this. Any advice would be very helpful!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware of any reputable such programs. The only APA-accredited hybrid-type program in psychology is Fielding, and they are generally not viewed particularly favorably in the field.

The main initial question I would have is whether the cost of any online doctorate would actually be worthwhile in comparison to the amount of the raise you would receive. I personally don't think the monetary or time commitment would be worth what you might receive in return.

Thank you for your input. It would improve my pension as well so as long as it isn't super super expensive, it would be helpful. I wouldn't need an APA accredited program.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is largely a psychology forum, so we will see a lot of answers/opinions based through this lens. That said, APA-accredited programs aside (as you are looking at counseling or SW degrees anyhow), what AcronymAllergy said is sound logic. While there are some reputable-ish online [non clinical] doctorate programs to choose from, they pretty much all come with a ridiculous price tag which would almost certainly negate the prospect of a pay raise. There are a few state U's out there offering online doctorates. (Again, so long as it is a RESEARCH degree and not a clinical doctorate.) In my state, the state U offers a few different funded online/hybrid research doctorates. As a counselor myself, I would most likely look at the PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision (CES). But this degree is mostly for folks that wish to train new counselors. It does nothing to elevate one's clinical career, as we are licensed at the mid-level already. (Obviously, this part never changes unless we go the clinical psych doctorate route.)

It is odd that your clinic offers pay raises for doctorate degrees. Per ACA code of ethics, a mid level clinician cannot refer to themselves as "Dr." outside of an educational setting even with an earned [non clinical] doctorate degree. In the clinic, we are still master's degree holders. So, it's not like your clinic could even really ethically advertise their clinicians as holding doctorate degrees.

That all said, state U's aside, and clinical psych doctorates aside, there is always the University of the Cumberlands PhD in CES. It is CACREP accredited. I believe the price tag is around $25K. This will be about as affordable (and practical) as an online non-clinical doctorate gets. Only you can figure if it would be worth the cost. Wish you luck, my friend.

Reactions: 1 user
It is odd that your clinic offers pay raises for doctorate degrees. Per ACA code of ethics, a mid level clinician cannot refer to themselves as "Dr." outside of an educational setting even with an earned [non clinical] doctorate degree. In the clinic, we are still master's degree holders. So, it's not like your clinic could even really ethically advertise their clinicians as holding doctorate degrees.
----
I have seen many therapists on psychologytoday post themselves as Dr XYZ, MSW. When I ask further, they have a doctorate in something like "human studies" or similar and get mad that I ask....I don't think even the social work state board cares...

----
I have seen many therapists on psychologytoday post themselves as Dr XYZ, MSW. When I ask further, they have a doctorate in something like "human studies" or similar and get mad that I ask....I don't think even the social work state board cares...

That's good insight and makes a lot of sense. I agree, I've seen people with degrees like PhDs in English or EdD in org leadership... and you're right, in the clinic setting they're still master's degree holders. Their doctorates don't conceivably make them better counselors than others.

And agreed with above comments about online doctorates being low-quality and/or ridiculous costs.

That's good insight and makes a lot of sense. I agree, I've seen people with degrees like PhDs in English or EdD in org leadership... and you're right, in the clinic setting they're still master's degree holders. Their doctorates don't conceivably make them better counselors than others.

And agreed with above comments about online doctorates being low-quality and/or ridiculous costs.
There are alot of therapists out there tho. So I have see in private practice where a therapist can have an edge if they have one of these extra degrees when people are looking for one. I'm not saying they are better but it obfuscates.

Reactions: 1 users
There are alot of therapists out there tho. So I have see in private practice where a therapist can have an edge if they have one of these extra degrees when people are looking for one. I'm not saying they are better but it obfuscates.
I'm not denying that this effect occurs, but doesn't this feel... I don't know, unethical to anyone? Like, I could go online and get a PhD in Leadership from a for-profit college, slap the "Dr" or "PhD" on my name, and then charge people more? And the layperson, who probably knows nothing about licensing and education, sees I have a PhD and assumes I know what I'm talking about, and puts their faith in me?

That just feels icky to me. Maybe there are folks out there who only see the dollar signs and will shrug and call it supply/demand or whatnot, but it feels wrong to me and I will never do it.

I'm not denying that this effect occurs, but doesn't this feel... I don't know, unethical to anyone? Like, I could go online and get a PhD in Leadership from a for-profit college, slap the "Dr" or "PhD" on my name, and then charge people more? And the layperson, who probably knows nothing about licensing and education, sees I have a PhD and assumes I know what I'm talking about, and puts their faith in me?

That just feels icky to me. Maybe there are folks out there who only see the dollar signs and will shrug and call it supply/demand or whatnot, but it feels wrong to me and I will never do it.
Their board doesn't care.

Again, it depends on where you live. Some boards care more than others. In one state, no one cared. In another, you surrender your license, pay a fine, and live on the board's blacklist for all eternity.
Not sure anywhere would make you lose your license for this.

Not sure anywhere would make you lose your license for this.
Punitive measures have been taken by my state board for misrepresentation of services. It does happen.

I would also hope that non-malfeasance still holds regardless if the board is looking over your shoulder or not...

Reactions: 1 user
License surrender? Really?
Not for first occurrence, but if you keep misrepresenting yourself, then hell yeah license surrender is an option.

I personally know someone who was fined a decent amount for stating they were a therapist when they were, in fact, a life coach. Also know someone who knows someone who was likewise fined a decent amount for misrepresenting themselves as "Dr. John Smith, PhD, psychologist" when they were, in fact, an LCSW who had a PhD in Metaphysical Psychology (or something equally hocus-pocus) from Pacifica. His argument was that he didn't misrepresent himself - he was a PhD holder, and he was a "psychologist" in the academic sense (just as one is a chemist by doing a PhD in Chemistry).... but the general public sees that and thinks "oh, he's board certified in clinical psychology"... nope, misrepresentation.

Not for first occurrence, but if you keep misrepresenting yourself, then hell yeah license surrender is an option.

I personally know someone who was fined a decent amount for stating they were a therapist when they were, in fact, a life coach. Also know someone who knows someone who was likewise fined a decent amount for misrepresenting themselves as "Dr. John Smith, PhD, psychologist" when they were, in fact, an LCSW who had a PhD in Metaphysical Psychology (or something equally hocus-pocus) from Pacifica. His argument was that he didn't misrepresent himself - he was a PhD holder, and he was a "psychologist" in the academic sense (just as one is a chemist by doing a PhD in Chemistry).... but the general public sees that and thinks "oh, he's board certified in clinical psychology"... nope, misrepresentation.
My state can't even get me the notes the therapist's don't send me. They did once but it was too late as the patient was no longer my patient.

the schools in my area offer good pay bumps for more advanced degrees regardless of if it's closely related to actual role- could totally see pursuing something online and interesting if the monetary cost/benefit worked in my favor if I were a school counselor (which I am not and would not be well-suited for - that takes a level of patience with administration and "why is THIS thing my job too" I will never possess). Good conversation around the importance of avoiding misrepresentation