General Admissions & OTCAS Doctorate vs. Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTOTOT98

Reaction score
I've been accepted to both doctorate and master programs and was wondering if anyone can give their opinion on why they're pursuing one over the other.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to both doctorate and master programs and was wondering if anyone can give their opinion on why they're pursuing one over the other.
Hey first off congratulations! I also got into both types. For me I am pursuing a clinical doctorate because I want to have the most training I could have. I also wouldn’t mind opening a practice or being a professor later on in life. I feel like it gives me more options and I will feel even more prepared after I graduate. I’ve also heard people say it was more expensive to get the post-professional if they wanted it later than it would be to go straight through. I get both sides and neither is a bad option, but just an example for why I chose OTD.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Congratualtions! I also got accepted to both last year. I chose to get my Masters. Reasons as followed:
1. When you get into the field, we all make the same pay. Having a doctorate does not ensure that you will make more.
2. You can open a practice with your masters
3. It is more cost efficient (at least in my case). The masters is shorter than a doctorate so I dont have to pay for tuition as long.
4. In order to teach, many universities want you to have a Ph.D. So it makes more sense to do less schooling now and go back and get my Ph.D later if I ever wanted to teach
4. I dont want to do research.

I hope this helps! Beet of luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for both your perspectives, I really appreciate them and will take them into consideration!

Hi there! I also chose to pursue a masters. First reason because of time and money. Also, you really only for sure need a doctorate if you are planning to be a professor, and I never want to do that. I also wanted to get into practicing in the field as soon as I could, and my program is a straight 2 years. Both options are good, but going the masters route was the best for me.