SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

documenting clinical experience (PA)

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by jwtaylor, May 15, 2007.

1. jwtaylor

jwtaylor Member 5+ Year Member

May 11, 2004
    I am beginning to shadow some PA's and physicians. My question is: how do i document this so it counts towards my total hours required for application to PA school?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RAMPA

RAMPA Pimpiro 7+ Year Member

May 6, 2005
    Dallas
    shadowing does not count as clinical experience. it only counts as shadowing...

4. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc 10+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Taking an Away team....
    agree- shadowing is good as it shows you what pa's do in different settings but it is really just watching other people work so it does not count as experience.

5. jwtaylor

jwtaylor Member 5+ Year Member

May 11, 2004
    well i was a resident counselor at a group home working with clients with mental disorders as well. i worked there for well over a year and a half and no doubt have put in over 500 hours there. my only concern is that it may not count as proper experience. i mean i'd love to work as an er tech or something else but unfortunately im a full time student working more than part time and i just dont have the time to get the extra schooling or training to be eligible for those types of jobs. im still waiting to hear whether my previous employment counts for the schools im planning to apply to.

6. Glorified

Glorified 2+ Year Member

May 6, 2007
    you can easily get the extra schooling to become an EMT or CNA during the summer semester which is nearly here already.