Documenting Shadows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gatewayhoward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question. Is there a specific way to document shadows with a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Gatewayhoward said:
I have a quick question. Is there a specific way to document shadows with a physician?

In all the interviews I went to, I was never asked about shadowing. There are secondaries from some schools that require a recommendation from an MD/DO or clinical supervisor. When asked for that, I just asked them to write a letter of recommendation for me. They usually said something about spending time in their office, but I don't think that having documentation for it is a big deal.

Gatewayhoward said:

1. Find a physician - any will do
2. Stand in a sunny place and have your physician measure the height of the dark spot on the ground that seems to follow you.
3. Have the physician initial the measurement.

:) Sorry, humerous mood tonight....

Seriously, I would keep a log/journal of your shadowing experiences and have the physician sign after your time with them. Even though you probably will never have to prove your shadows, it may be a benefit for you to remember the things you saw, how the physician treated the patients, staff, etc. I'm sure you will have great experiences to share in interviews or on your PS.